Nikon D70 and setting ppi

Username: Valerieann

Post Number: 1
Hello, I have just purchased a Nikon D70 and while out practicing, I was trying to gain some understanding about resolution setting and the digital camera. I prefer to work with my images at a resolution of 300 in the photo editing software. My problem is that I don't know how to tell the camera that I want a resolution of 300. When I changed the image quality from normal to fine, the ppi did not change. The images still downloaded at a resolution of 72. If the image quality does not change the resolution, what DOES it do? And, how do I get the images into my computer at 300?

Thanks so much for any help you may have on this subject.

Valerie

Username: Herbie

Valarie,

I have a D70 as well as a D100. What program are you using for your photo editing? You may need to change the settings of your editing software, not the camera.

I have never had the problem with either of my digital slr's. I usually shoot in JPG format set to fine and large.

Herb

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1102
What is the quality of the pictures you are using? Are you using NEF/RAW or FINE?
What program are you using to edit your pics?

Right now, don't worry about the resolution, worry about the quality of the files.

Answer these and we'll go from there.

Right now I am using Photoshop CS to play with the files. I use Nikon View and also Nikon Capture.

cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 1105
Also, I don't quite understand the resolution of 72 when the D70 has a Max resolution of 3008 x 2000 and Low resolutions of 2240 x 1488, 1504 x 1000.

Let's look at the overall picture (no pun intended):-) first and see what you are trying to accomplish.

Post Number: 2
Hello everyone! Thanks for your answers. I am currently using Photoshop 6.0 to edit my photos. I use the software that came with the camera to download the pics.

The resolution of 72 that I speak of is the resolution that comes up in photoshop on the image size. I don't really understand the numbers. I have never worked with them. I have always used 300ppi or 72ppi to work with my images. Maybe I am having a bit of difficulty understanding the definition of resolution based upon the numbering systems.

I am currently using the settings of fine and large.

Thanks for your help!

Valerie

Username: Herbie

Valerie,

How are you transfering your images to your PC. Are you using the usb cable or a card reader? Are you using Nikon View or Picture Project to transfer the files? I personally don't like Picture Project so I uninstalled it and installed the newest version of Nikon View.

72ppi is a net resolution. It really sounds like your transfer software or photoshop is set to that resolution as a default. How big(mb's) are your jpg picture files?

Post Number: 3
Hi Herb-

I am transfering images from a card reader. I am using Picture Project. Where do I get Kikon view? I know that when I scan in photo's I am able to set the ppi on my scanning software and I am pretty sure that you are correct when you say that the transfer software is setting the ppi. Can it be changed? I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Valerie

Post Number: 4
Hi Herb-

I am transfering images from a card reader. I am using Picture Project. Where do I get Kikon view? I know that when I scan in photo's I am able to set the ppi on my scanning software and I am pretty sure that you are correct when you say that the transfer software is setting the ppi. Can it be changed? I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Valerie

Gold Member

Post Number: 1111
Valerie,
Try this. It will download the Nikon View to your computer. It is a file browser and it will handle the pictures from your memory card at full resolution.
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_prod _lvl1=42&p_prod_lvl2=44&p_cat_lvl1=22

Post Number: 5
Thanks, I am downloading now! I will let you know what happens!

Valerie

Gold Member

Post Number: 1142
did it work?
Anyway if you are using photoshop, the native resolution on your workspace is 72 unless you change it.

Post Number: 6
Hey Berny! I really like Nikon View much better. Thanks. I also figured out what my confusion was. I didn't realize that the resolution in photoshop has nothing to do with adding or subtracting pixels per say. I also didn't realize I could change the resolution from 72 to 300 and not ruin the quality of the photo! LOL! Thanks so much for your help!

Valerie

Gold Member

Post Number: 1174
That's great, I'm glad it worked out. Now, if you really want to tweak your photos and start taking pictures using RAW NEF, you should start looking at upgrading your photoshop to Photoshop CS. The workspace is really great.

cheers

Unregistered guest
I have a problem with my D100. The Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed priority and Program functions are all stuck on full program... Moving the dial makes no difference to the function. I do not think it is a machanical problem just an programming issue. Has anyone experienced this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1909
have you tried resetting to factory settings?

Unregistered guest
how do i transfere my RAW picture from nikons picture project to photoshop cs so i can edit them finely?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3163
Get the plug-in from Adobe and you should be able to just open the NEF files.

Username: Georgia

I have a D70 & work on a Mac OS X editing my RAW files in Adobe photoshop 7.0 which doesn't give me much editing possiblities. Can you suggest the best Mac OS X compatible program?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3293
How veresed are you in Photoshop? I am having a hard time processing what you said about having limited editing possibilities. What are you trying to achieve?

There is a book out on Adobe Photoshop 7 for digital photographers and i would hardly call it "doesn't give (me) much editing possibilities".

Try upgrading to Photoshop CS2 or just the Photoshop CS. if you already have a legitimate copy of Photoshop 7, you should be able to upgrade to CS2 for about $150US. it is one of the best photo editing software out in the market.

Username: Georgia

Thanks for quick reply & advice-I am fairly familiar with photoshop but have alot to learn still-I use it mainly for photo editing. I have no trouble once I have converted them into other formats i.e. jpg from NEF/RAW but want to use the exposure compensation before I "save as" in photoshop

Gold Member

Post Number: 3295
You should definitely get a book. With Photoshop 7, you can get the turotials for cheap and with the advent of CS and CS2 you could get Photoshop books at a great discount. You could go to the bargain bin at Books-a-million or Barnes and Noble. Try the ones by Scott Kelby or Martin Evening.

Unregistered guest
Hi. I ask for your help to explain me what green noisy appear in same pictures that I've took. I have others pictures whit the same composition, light, apertture etc, that doesn't have this noisy.
The pictures were shot by a Nikon D70 with Sigma 24-7mm 2.8 lens, Finest and large resolution.
Thank you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3315
What is your ISO setting?

Unregistered guest
Hi Berny. I've used iso 400.
If possible, I could send you the picture to you see the green noise.
Tks,
Gustavo

Gold Member

Post Number: 3340
Include the EXIF data. I need to see a sample to see exactly what you are having problems with.

Username: Gustavo_perillo

Göteborg, Sweden United Kingdom

Hi Berny. Follow the picture. The green noise appear on the woman's dark dress.
Thank youUpload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3348
That is digital moire and can be avoided by using the highest resolution on your camera. It happens when the subject you are shooting has diagonal patterns and in low resolution. Imagine shooting a fine screen mesh door. You will also see this pattern. I can see by the exif data that this was shot in 600 X 399pixels. As you can observe, it is not present in the other dark areas of the picture it is only n the dress. This is not digital noise this is moire.

This is an article from Thom Hogan:
Moire. When the digital sampling frequency is close to, but not exactly, the frequency of detail in a scene, digital cameras tend to produce moire. It's clear to me that the D70 uses both slightly different anti-aliasing filters over the sensor and has a different JPEG rendering engine. These two things conspire to put the D70's moire into a frequency that's more likely to be encountered in casual shooting. But let's put this into perspective: all Bayer pattern cameras produce moire at some frequency of detail. You've got to learn what that frequency is and learn to recognize it in scenes you photograph. Even moving a few feet backwards (or changing the focal length) can sometimes get the detail out of the "beat zone," where moire is produced.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3349
Here is another article that you may find useful
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqi d=9544&p_created=1080656943

Username: Gustavo_perillo

Göteborg, Sweden United Kingdom

I've thought about moire too... but look this another picture. The same green points, now on the green curtain in the background.
I've took these pictures using Jpeg NORMAL(quality)/LARGE-6MP (in this email it's smaller just to be easier to send you). I took 620 pictures and this green points appear in less than 40 pictures, sometimes on the dark dress, sometimes on the green curtain, sometimes on de woman's face, sometimes on the black shadow...
It's really strange. Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3353
Try using a higher resolution when you take the pictures. Everytime I look at your pictures and enlarge them, I can definitely see moire. it happens when you are taking low quality resolution.

dexstruh@gmail.com
Unregistered guest
Those green dots are reflections of the candles in your lens, I think...see how they are upside down versions of the candle light?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us