HandyCam Help

Username: Turboqueen

Post Number: 1
I'm having some issues trying to upload a video that I took to my comp. Which is not working and I'm about to go off, lol.

Here are the details on my issue:

My friend gave me his Sony Handycam DCR-TRV140 with the Pixela Ver 1.0 and the usb cord.

I put the cd in and I follow all the directions and it installs fine.

I open the pixela image mixer and I try to click on the 1st picture (link that looks like an ipod) it does nothing, doesnt open at all.

I left my comp on for about 2hrs to see if maybe it just takes some time but still nothing. So I force it closed and I open the one for the edit and that opens fine, they all open but the 1st one and that is the one I need.

I have tried also to get the vid off by other means, I open my media center and it keeps saying nothing is hooked up, hook up camera and try again. I have done this so many diff ways and nothing.

Yes the camera is on usb sharing and it is turned on I have tried bothw vcr and standby mode.

Its not reading the camera is hooked up by the usb cord.

I can only use the usb cord because the other methods my comp does not have the hook ups for. RCA cables and the i link. So I'm stuck trying to solve this and its not working.

Any help would be great!

Username: Turboqueen

Post Number: 2
Did I post this in the wrong area?

Bronze Member
Username: Matthawkins

Post Number: 20
I don't think you can transfer video over USB. I think the USB interface is just for photos etc.

Your best bet is to use Firewire. Firewire cards for a PC aren't expensive and things get a lot easier once you can transfer video via firewire.

Username: Mrsatyre

Post Number: 1
USB is for any data format, provided it falls within the guidelines for device communications. Video (standard definition as well as high definition) are among these. You will notice that Apple, for example, has almost entirely replaced their proprietary IEE-1394 (a.k.a. Firewire) connection with USB, as USB is far more prevalent in the PC market and has surpassed Firewire in speed. Panasonic, Canon, Sharp, Sony, and all the rest of the camcorders which feature USB connectivity provide that port in order to transfer the content of the tape, hard disk drive or memory from the camcorder to the computer it is connected to. The software included with that brand of camera is usually required only to edit the video or transfer it to a blank CD or DVD, as the video codecs used by those camcorders varies from brand to brand.

Bronze Member
Username: Matthawkins

Post Number: 21
USB v2 or v3 might be a suitable replacement for Firewire but not USB v1.

Not all camcorders that have USB can actually transfer video over it especially if they were manufactured in 2002. The USB interface on my Panasonic can only be used to transfer images.

The user manual for the DCR-TRV140 (page 97) suggests you can only transfers images.

http://www.mediacollege.com/cgi-bin/equipment/manual.cgi?model=DCRTRV140

Firewire doesn't load the CPU as much as USB so it is always my preference. For older digital camcorders it's the only option.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us