Need digital for sports/action shots - help!

Unregistered guest
I've tried researching which digital (or digital slr) would be best for shooting my daughter's basketball & volleyball games, and all I am is confused. I love photography, but w/ arthritis in both hands and needing reading glasses, the simpler the better. I've used the new cannon rebel and loved it, but don't know if I need to be switching lenses out if optical zoom will do the job. All I really want is to be able to get really good action shots w/ a digital... recommendations??? Please!

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 651
nikon d70 ...excellent frame rate and you can always get a zoom lens. Doesn't have to be a nikon lens. Sigmas will be fine.
Optical zoom is always best...digital zoom pixelates and not a real zoom function.

sooze
Unregistered guest
Thanks Berny. If optical zoom is best, shouldn't I look for a digital SLR w/out interchangeable lenses?

Silver Member

Post Number: 684
sooze,
You might want to look for a digital SLR WITH interchangeable lenses, it just gives you better options. The D70 is a very simple, almost point and shoot camera that is designed for the consumer and the professional photographer. You can select various pre-programmed "scene modes" to minimize the loss of a "kodak" moment. Or you can play with it for the ultimate in artistic control.

check out this website
http://www.nikonians.org/

sooze
Unregistered guest
Thanks much!

Silver Member

Post Number: 732
You're welcome!:-)

Unregistered guest
I am starting a small business where I will be taking youth action sports photos, printing and selling at the games. I have decided to go with the D70, but am unsure what additional lenses I am going to need to get the best shots. I don't want to buy more than I need, but when I can't get as close as I want, which lens to I put on to still get the quick action shots?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1516
One lens you want on your bag will be the Nikon 80-200 AFD 2.8, buy it new as the used ones will cost almost the same as the new one.
You can also invest in the newest with Vibration reduction technology, the 70-200mm AFS VR/2.8
here's a good read
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm#rex
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us