Is a new cannon sd1000 waterproof?

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10685
I was thinking about taking it in the pool for some underwater pic's think it will survive?

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9843
Longo and Paul, you guys didn't answer lol. Are you guys coming to the meet if we have one and if your available? :-)

Also, am I wrong to think that Audison amps > Sundown amps? I was on SSA and numerous people told me that Sundown amps are just as good as Audison's amps. If it were on any other forum but SSA, I would believe it or try to believe it but since its SSA, I dont know....Not that SSA isn't smart, because it is very knowledgeable, its just everyone there runs Sundown.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17007
Yanks I'd love to. With my schedule with the kids and my job who knows. Long time coming though.

James, here's another example of what I keep my eyes open for. $160 stereo is going for $50. All that is missing is the fm antenna. ($.50 piece of wire). Picking this one up tomorrow after work.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/710530482.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17009
Here's the radio I picked up for $25. I just couldn't pass it up.

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.1DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 13870
^nice lil system

well i tested the RE SE 10s this evening in a nice pair of 12" boxes i had hangin around - tuned 32hz 1.75cuft .....i made a adapter from mdf & screwed it over d 12" hole & rest in each 10"

SWEEEET ! - subs not moving much too ,like 1\2" & its fulling my wagon with bass ...nice tight lows & plenty loud too ...want it accurate as possible so building a sealed box in a few days time ....

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9499
from the other thread since hunter didnt see it yet

hunterw...."what sub sean?"

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39080

Gold Member

Post Number: 9500
nice Rovin you will probably loose output going sealed as you know but with the subs not moving alot yet youll probably be fine since it sounds like your saying you didnt turn the volume up as much as you could

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21234
thanks for asking about the warranty paul. i just told thieves wassup with that.

did you call him or email him?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17018
I called him. He's a cool dude. I have to side with him though on standing his ground about the warranty. I would too.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21253
yeah i would too paul. no warranty should be transferable. besides thieves is gonna buy another one from sound splinter. if something messes up then he can still return one. lol.

alright guys, how does this look to you? this is how my car would look with just the lip kit and no rims. i think it looks good.

Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17023
I have to say that looks sharp as hell Chad.

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10686
it needs wheels, I mean it looks good but it still just looks like a stock car. Yanks, I doubt I can make it bro, i wish I could. Where would it be held?

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

LowDownForum.com

Post Number: 3875
I like simple and that is simple.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3752
ah thats a pretty good deal sean. i agree the car needs somes rims homie

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9847
Either in Northern VA about 20 minutes south of DC or somewhere in Eastern PA.

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10687
thats like a 4-5 hour drive for me. If you do happen to do it in PA thats a little closer depending on where it was but still a hike. I wish it was closer man.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21263
got a question for you guys. about 60 miles from my house is a gas station that has gas the cheapest. its 20cents cheaper. is it worth the drive?

Gold Member

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9849
No Chad. Thats like me driving into Maryland to get my gas lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17029
Unless you rent a tanker Chad it's not going to be profitable. Plus, doesn't it take you 45 minutes to travel 5 miles where you are lol? The best you can do is fill up every time you can. With the cost rising as fast as it is it's cheaper to pay the price in lower fuel economy on a loaded tank than keep stopping and paying more and more each time. Think of it like stock, the more you buy at the low end the better for you.

What's really funny is watching people wait 20 minutes or more in line to get gas $.05/gal cheaper. Who are they fooling? Burn $1.50 worth of gas sitting idling and wasting your time to save $1.00 on a fill up?

What ppl really need to do is empty their trunks, check tire pressure, drive gingerly, consolidate trips, car pool, increase following distances, ect......

Gold Member

Post Number: 9504
Chad...20 cents times 12 gallons= $2.40 in savings....with a car that gets say 35 mpg thats 1.71 gallons at $4.00 a gallon which would be about $6.84 in gas....now add the 60 miles back to your house thats another $6.84 in gas totaling $13.68 to save $2.40 costing you $11.28 more than what your saving

Gold Member

Post Number: 9505
by the way Chad or anyone else in the market for a new car that can be refueled using hydrogen....I just saw a commercial for Honda's new hydrogen powered car....they boast about no emissions as well (which im not sure if you would get some kind of break because of that in a place like California)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17032
Just for giggles. I saw this one today. He's been trying to sell this for quite some time now lol. Great box! I think it's older than me.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/715027118.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 9510
I cant see clearly on this monitor but if those are 10's they look like they have 12 grills and a 12 passive radiator in the middle and if thats the case it probably is old

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17034
Like I said, he's been trying to sell them for quite some time now. All dusty and such lol. I wouldn't take it for free.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9511
oh ok....but I know about how old you are and its definitely not older than you haha

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17039
Upload

LOL.

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10689
thats deff old! 80's I bet, then they stopped using those full range boxes in the early 90's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9523
haha....dont feel bad Paul were the same age I think

Gold Member

Post Number: 9524
"then they stopped using those full range boxes in the early 90's"

yeah they did....I remember having a few full range boxes

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21285
lol old box. paul get it just for the hell of it.

that reminds me of a little joke.

why did everyone go fishing? just for the halibut. lol. i know lame.

anyways guys, looks like i'll be building a new box this weekend. a monster sealed box. why you may ask? well i am bored cause i haven't done anything to my system in awhile. also i've never heard a sub in a large sealed enclosure in my car before.

3.8 cuft sealed box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9539
I thought that was the size of your current sealed enclosure....also I saw you were saying you didnt like how the sealed box you have the 15 revo in does on the higher notes....id say try building a enclosure that had a removable face and place something in the enclosure each time to make the airspace appear smaller to the sub and see how much upper bass you gain and at what compromise to the low end....who knows you might not loose much low end and find the right upper bass you want

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21300
right now my sealed box is 2.8 cuft sean.
you got some good idea there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9540
reread the post I changed it....I left out the tnut idea because they come loose apparently and just spin and then you cant get the screw out....according to scott and joel his tenant but im wondering if they are doing something wrong

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13880
hey i know every1 oversizes a ported box but what about sealed factory specs - do they work good ?

only box i ever had sealed was my type R in a fac rec 1cuft & they sounded surprising

should i go with the 0.65cuft RE rec for my 10' SE ? ...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21306
that should sound nice and tight rovin. i like the sound of small sealed boxes sometimes.

for my sub sealed recomendation is 2 - 4cuft so 3.8 will just fit right in there.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

LowDownForum.com

Post Number: 3882
Well its official. Doing 3 12" sd2.5's in the hatch, tuned to 32Hz with 80" of port.

I've been talking with DJ and trying to get this figured out. And just got it figured out today.

These are the specs.

33"Wx24"Lx15"H External = 6.75cubes

31.5"Wx22.5Lx12.75H Internal (double baffle) = 5.14cuft

I'm not too good with this stuff so can somebody tell me how much area I will have after 80" of port? I emailed DJ so I could get the displacement of the subs so I can know exactly how much area I have in the enclosure after port and displacement.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17046
"thats deff old! 80's I bet, then they stopped using those full range boxes in the early 90's."

Hey, my first box was a Becker. Sean remembers those lol.

I was young. The car was fun.

Upload

Don't laugh. At the time they were all the rage. Ran that off a 300w Jensen amp. After I grew up I switched to two 12" Kenwoods powered by a 500w Drive series amp. What a step up that was lol.

Upload

Then came job, career, marriage, kids, divorce........

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10690
I remember Beckers Paul:-) do you guys remember rockford fosgates box that rocks? lol that was the SH!T back in the day.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17050
I miss my youth. Fuggin' up was fun to do lol.

Oh the stories I could tell.

I still shock my folks with sh1t I tell them I did years ago they never knew about.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13882
hey paul my bro had a pair of 10" becker subs which i used to mess around with & put it in my 1st decent ported box was made of some scrap grooved plywood which i ported with a 16ounce soda plastic bottle (cut ends off the bottle) & used that - it sounded quite good ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13883
btw - last night on dvd i looked at ANCHORMAN starring will farrel - was decent ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13886
A man thought that his wife was cheating on him. Since he didn't have a lot of
money to hire an expensive private investigator, he decided to go with a much
cheaper one -- a Chinese man named Mr. Lee.
The following day he received following report:

Most honorable sir:
You leave house. I watch house. he come to house. I watch. He and she leave
house. I follow. He and she go in hotel. I climb tree. I look in window. He kiss
she. She kiss he. He strip she. She strip he. He play with she. She play with
he. I play with me. I fall off tree. I not see.
No fee,

Chen Lee

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4446
lol ^^ rov i just read the funny thread and saw that.

Guys whats up been a while i just had my first day off in 4 weeks blows a lot lol. But i see we have 2 new members welcome guys. i finally got my box from phil got the alpha going sounds awesome want to switch it and see how the mag is though and then sell whichever one sounds worse lol. Tough choice. Almost vaca time going to bermuda

and btw BEAT LA

yanks still suk

boston is the best

lol had to throw that in there

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21323
sup charlie. fock boston.

lol rovin. good stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9543
I vaguely remember Becker Paul....they were really cheap stuff....that was an iroc you had right....if so man those cars handled and were quick

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21326
sean, when i got home yesterday i took out the sealed box and put my ported box back in. after that it was like ahhhhhhh with a sigh of joy. lol. man ported rocks. the sealed is clean but ported is just way better all around.

its hitting the lows good now. i think it had to do with the ssf. i had it at 30hz when it was ported. then when i put it in sealed, i lowered it to 25hz. after switching back to ported, i left the ssf at 25hz. its hittin the lows. i love it.

i guess i still got that spl bug in me. i need some output and sealed just wasn't doing it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9546
yeah sealed can work with some subs but there's a certain tone to the bass with a ported box that I like usually and the added spl doesnt hurt

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21331
sean i need an explanation.

big port vs small port. both tuned to the same frequencies.

what advantages does a bigger port have over the smaller port and vice versa?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9547
"what advantages does a bigger port have over the smaller port and vice versa?"

funny you should ask me because ive pondered this one result we had....we had one experience where we saw what a spl box did with two subs and the car liked hitting best at 60 hz in that box tuned at 52 hz aprox. with 4 four inch standard pvc ports....and the daily box he built was smaller and tuned to 37 - 38 hz with only two four inch areo ports and hit best at 53 hz....now the first test was off my brothers 300 amp alt runnung to the other car and the second test was with the cars weak stock electrical but based on previous exp. with other cars I dont think this was the factor....I attribute this to the less port area probably doing this

"big port vs small port. both tuned to the same frequencies."

ive read that going with a smaller port can give you more upper bass as compared to a larger free flowing port but keep in mind you still have to have enough port area so that you dont have port noise or possible damage to your speaker

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21332
the reason i ask is cause of thieve's box design. i pmed mike from sound splinter for the recomended box specs and this is what he said.

"On the RL-i10's, if you're lookin' to go ported and want the best sound quality, I would suggest around 1 cu ft net volume shared between the two, 30 square inches of port area, and a tuning of around 27 Hz. If you want a little more peak output, I'd suggest moving up to 1.75 cu ft net volume shared between the two, 30 square inches of port area, tuned up to 31 Hz. Just keep in mind, the larger the box and the higher the tune, the peakier the response curve will become. The RL-i10's are also great sealed box drivers if he wants to save space.

~mike"

30 sq inch of port for a box that is 1 cuft is huge. but i was thinking of doing that for my box too. for a 3.5 cuft net ported box, i was thinking of doing 60 sq inches of port.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9548
reread my post I added to it

Gold Member

Post Number: 9549
by the way I ran box specs for my image dynamics idq 12 and I want to go 2 cubic feet net tuned to 30 hz using one four inch aero port.... I just hope its enough port area for 350 watts

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21333
alright cool thanks sean.

so in your opinion, what do you thing about a 3.8cuft ported box with 2 3inch aeroports?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9550
I have to go but ill get back to you tomorrow

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17064
"I vaguely remember Becker Paul....they were really cheap stuff....that was an iroc you had right....if so man those cars handled and were quick"

350 TPI with a dana rear. Lighting the rear tires up was not a problem.

My ex-wife used to hound me every time I left a light chirping the tires. "It's got a 350 in it, sometimes I use it" I would tell her.

I've caught her over-indulging herself in it as well. T-tops down, stereo cranked.......

She loved struttin' in it herself lol.

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10691
aint that just like a woman, to B!TCH when its not them doing it but seem to love it when it bennefits them.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13894
chad

imo on a 15" sub u should use nothing less than 4) 4" aeros to get u that killer sql (works out to approx 12sq" of port\cuft - u know what i have & what it did ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17066
And to top it off SHE was the one who had me trade it in on my first truck. "It's not practical". "How are you gonna fit car seats in there?"

Now that she's gone I want it back lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21334
yeah rovin. 4 4inch aeros is just too much for me. i think ima just do a slot port with about 60sq inches of port to see what kinda result i get.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13895
^er did u check ur math right since 4) 4" is noticeably less than 60sq" ...

c'mon man , ur asian so that should be like a walk in the park 4u ....

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4447
paul get her back lol everyone needs a sports car

btw amazing win for the celts tonight im sorry chad i know u thought u had it i would b crying if i was a lakers fan right now lol

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21338
rovin i meant to say its too much port not port area. i won't have enough space on the face of the box for 4 4inch aeros. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9554
yeah Paul my dad had the first year which came with a 305 tpi and it did 5.8 0-60 stock....I cant imagine how fast yours was with the dana rear (unless that was stock)

Gold Member

Post Number: 9555
Chad I want to change this "I attribute this to the less port area probably doing this" because thats incorrect to I attribute this to port placement

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21343
ok gotcha sean.

trying to decide between the 2. with the 2 3 aeroport box, i can take the port out and plug it so its a sealed box. with the slot port box, i get more port area.

slot port box would be 3.8cuft net after port displacement.

aeroport box is 4cuft and i didn't calculate the aeroport displacement.

Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13897
whats d max dimensions u have available to fit in ur trunk ? ...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21349
38wide
17 high
17 deep

inside the trunk is alot bigger than that but its the damn opening to the trunk. its small. :-(

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13901
^yep thats d problem with most cars

i just went & measured my box & its almsot exact as ur dimensions but mine is 36" wide & those 40 4" aeros fit on their without any worry

just do d damn 4 aeros tuned early 30s & come back & thanks me later ...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21351
lol rovin.

also if i was to tune it to 30hz with 4 4inch aeros, it would have to be really long. how did you do it rovin?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13902
ok i made a big error there since length of each port is would be way too long to fit & ports dont come any longer than 18" which is about a 40hz tuning

better u do slot or if u really wanna try 4" aeros then only 2 may work ...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21357
yeah 2 4 inchers will work well.

damn why can't i ever be happy with what i got rovin? everybody that gets in my car literally sh!t their pants when they hear my car but i am never satisfied. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9557
how much power are you running Chad

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21362
1200wrms

Gold Member

Post Number: 9558
your tuning to 32 hz right....youll be good with two 4 inch aeros on that power

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21364
gotcha sean.

ima build it soon. it better hit good for your sake sean

Gold Member

Post Number: 9560
haha hey its your box....that port area will be fine at 32 hz....is that where you where planning on tuning

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21365
yep you got it right on the money. 32hz is where its at. i love it like that.

i can't wait. unfortunately we are moving our store this weekend so i have no time. so next weekend it is. ima have to order the ports right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9561
now im thinking of placing my image dynamics in a 1.50 cubic foot box tuned at 35 hz

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21367
why so high on that sub?

btw i just downloaded erasure and omd. can't wait to hear it in my car. lol. this music brings back memories. hahaha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9562
partially because in my car in a sealed box that sub just isnt loud enough to balance out up in the high 40's to upper 50 hz range so I figured that arrangement would pick up the output across the board and keep the sound tight....plus if I can id like to port it without any turns....but your right it does seem like a waste to not tune low with this sub and that was my original intent....I guess ill run it on the program again and see what else I can come up with

Gold Member

Post Number: 9563
what the heck im sticking with 2 cubic feet tuned to 30 hz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts