Need some help(Recommendation)

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 710
Hey guys, I know nothing when it comes to cameras.

My girl wants to get a Sony DSCH3 Cybershot 8.1, I've been trying to tell her that Sony is sheit besides TVs, but she doesn't believe me. She is set on getting this for xmas, from her parents.

Can anyone give me any alternatives for about the same price, higher quality, more efficient, maybe cheaper?

Thanks.

Bump for Help

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11004
I'm not experienced with sony cams but I've had Panasonic, Kodak, and Nikon. Hands down the Nikon was my best camera. I have the 7 megapixel coolpix 6. I LOVE it. Also has great video capture. Paired up with a 2 gig SD card and I'm set.

If I had to start somewhere it would definitely be with Nikon.

My two pennies.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 711
Always out to help, thanks for your two pennies Paul

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 712
unfortunately though, she is looking to get a digital/manual camera, or what ever the official name is, the kind that look like 35mm but are digital and have a screen and what not.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 177
Canon S3 IS or Canon S5 IS...

...depending on how much you want to spend.

There are a LOT of super-zoom cameras available. If you want to read more, try:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/ratings.php

I've seen some excellent pictures taken with Nikon cameras. Make sure, though, that the model you pick up is fast.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11006
Ahhh.......I think I know what she wants. Yeah those ARE expensive.

I still throw Nikon out there though. Just....cause.

Berny would be all over this. Not Bernymac but Berny. He's like the camera god here lol. Playing in the sand overseas right now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
If you're referring to digital SLRs, Nikon makes some of the best, along with Canon.

The DSC H3 she's getting is probably a 'super-zoom' though. It looks like a DSLR!

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 714
Well I posted in the SLR section and tried to get Berny's attention, but the last time he posted looks like August, lol

Srinivas, can you expand on your last post: "looks like a DSLR"

also, can you give me any suggestions, alternatives, opinions? She works at CC and can get a discount on that Sony. Would that be her best bet because of the price?

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
SLR (single lens reflex) cameras provide the ability to see through the viewfinder, exactly what the lens 'sees'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_single-lens_reflex_camera

In smaller point and shoot cameras, the view through the viewfinder may not correspond exactly to what the lens 'sees'.

Experienced photographers like to use SLR cameras so they can frame and focus the picture perfectly before clicking.

SLR cameras offer the advantage of being able to change different lenses to take zoom, wide-angle or close-up shots.

The other significant difference between digital SLR cameras and point-and-shoots is that the sensor size is much bigger on SLRs.

Unfortunately, SLRs are quite expensive.

The Sony DSC H3 looks externally like a DSLR, but does not use an SLR viewfinder or a large sensor.

For an amateur photographer, I wouldn't get an SLR.

I've read only a little bit on the DSC H3, but seen very good pictures taken with the DSC H2. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a DSC H3 if the price was right.

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Sony DSC H3:
http://www.laptoplogic.com/data/news/images/3003/2.jpg

A real DSLR (Nikon D40):
http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/images/nikon_d40_digital_slr.jpg

See the similarity in appearance? :-)

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 716
the nikon is def s exier

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11014

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 721
that's strange, I just saw, was notified about your post with the detailed description...my bad, don't know how I missed it.

she can get that Sony for under 300. Would you pick it up for that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
My default camera for under $300, is Canon S3 IS. It has a few trivial advantages such as use of generic memory cards and USB cables. However, it is tremendously popular and doesn't do anything obviously wrong. Canon cameras also seem to have a reputation for being durable and reliable.

On the other hand, if you like the appearance of DSC H3 and the way it handles, go for it. I'm quite certain both cameras produce excellent pictures. It is listed at $280 on CC website and sounds like good value.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us