Fuji fine pix 3800 versus the Olympus C740?

I have looked at both of these cameras and although the olympus has more zoom, otherwise they seem the same. can someone recommend one over the other and if so why? thanks for any help!

Frank M
Unregistered guest
I have an Olympus C740 and my stepson has the Fuji 3800 (bought because of a drastic price reduction).

I love eveything about the C740 especially the 10X optical zoom. My 12yo daughter plays softball and I have taken wonderful action pix from her games. I am really able to reach out and capture the action without the loss of resolution prevelant when relying only on digital zoom. The lens is excellent and there are many filters and lens attachments (extended telephotos etc.) available for this camera both from Olympus as well as third party manufacturers. We have also used the camera at numerous rock concerts and have gotten excellent results under low light conditions.

Though my stepson likes his Fuji, escpecially in light of the discount price he paid, ($179.00) he has two primary complaints.
1.) IT EATS BATTERIES. This camera is a battery hog. The first time my stepson used it the batteries went dead halfway into an event. I would suggest that anyone who gets it purchase hi capacity NIMH batteries and a charger. Keep several battery changes with you while using this camera. (I do the same for my Olympus as well though I have never had to change them due to a low battery condition in the field)
2.) IT HAS POOR LOW LIGHT PERFMORMANCE. My stepson has used the camera at concerts and a WWF event and was disappointed in the low light results.

Note: Both of the above deficiencies were noted in a Consumer Reports review of the Fuji. I advised my stepson of this before his purchase but, because of price, he chose to buy the Fuji anyway.

The compact size of the Fuji, and the manner in which the lens cover encloses the whole front of the camera, is a plus and has enabled him to get the camera into venues where "no cameras are allowed."

Except for the current discount prices being offered for the Fuji, and it's smaller footprint, I see no reason to purchase it over the Olympus.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us