Hi I m new to the forum and I have read alot of the problems with the
D70/D70s. First alot of you photographers should always follow these
rules: Have a spare set of batteries, spare card for your digital and
if you are on a job a spare camera! I am not a professional per say I
have had about a dozen paying jobs weddings parties. Until a year ago
I used a Nikon N5005 and a Nikon F90x and always had spare batteries
and lots of film. As I gave my son my 5005 I mainly use my D70 but
always have my 90x as a spare. My 76 yr old dad is on his 3rd digital
nikon(he went over to a panasonic 1x) he now has a D80 He had 2 coolpix previously. I m a 4th generation photography
buff.
Well here is my problem - When I take a flash photo now a third of
the picture (the bottom) is black - hopefully I am solving the problem by charging the battery. I have yet to purchase new CR2 batteries. It
also it happens when I attach my sb28 flash.
When the flash is not on the photo comes out fine. I have taken close to 4000 pics (my boyfriend surfs and I live part-time in the Azores on a sailboat). I keep it out of the sub zero temps here in upstate New York and also keep it in a waterproof camera case. Another question
how the heck do i update the firmware? Do I use the usb cable to download it into the camera? Thanks for your help.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12618
The SB28 is not compatible with the D70. It will work but you have to set it manually. 1/3 of your pictures being black could be a result of lens shadowing. Or you have sync problems with the sb28.

As far as updating the firmware, go to the nikonusa website and follow the instructions to the letter.

Username: Babsalua

Post Number: 4
i think u misunderstood me - the bottom third of the picture is black. The top and middle of the photo is clear but the bottom of the photo looks as if it has a black cloth over the lens. i did a little experimenting. only when i do a close up or macro on auto does the bottom part of the photo turn black when the flash is on whether it be the internal flash or my sb28. I zoom out it is fine. Yes the sb-28 is to be used only in A, M, Repeating Flash and rear curtain sync modes. I did get the updated firmware installed also. After i wrote my post i went to nikon's site.
Thank you.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12620
Do you have a sample pic?

Is the shape of the culprit arched or is it straight across the frame?

What lens are you using when this happens? Are you using the lens hood?

I will stick to the lens shadow diagnoses until I see other matters saying the contrary.

The shadow usually happens with a long lens or when using a short flash. This is also very apparent when using the on-board flash and when zooming in. The flash causes a shadow to form under the lens and you are capturing this.

Try the same settings when the black part appears, then use bounce flash. Voila...black part gone! Try it and get back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us