Nikon D70 won't turn off

Username: Guilled70

Post Number: 1
I have had a Nikon D70 for two years now. It has been working fine, and it still is. But it won't turn off. I turn the on/off button to off, but it stays on and functional. Any ideas?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12319
Do a reset.

Post Number: 2
Already did, all it does is get the clock blinking so that it needs to be reset.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12330
What happens when you remove the battery?
How about your memory card?

Post Number: 3
I have removed the battery, changed to a different memory card, changed to a different lense. But the moment I put the battery back, the camera turns itself on and stays like that no matter the position of the on/off button.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12351
I believe it is time to have your camera serviced.

Post Number: 4
Looks like it. Thanks a lot for your interest. Has anyone out there had the same problem with a Nikon D70?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12353
I haven't heard of any. Hope things work out for you.

Username: Elie

Post Number: 2
This sounds similar to how my D70 behaved shortly before it finally died with BGLOD (blinking green light of death). Best to get it checked out by a Nikon service centre.

Post Number: 5
That's encouraging... I will definetively have it checked. Thanks.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12418
The BGLOD is a free fix from Nikon by the way, regardless of the camera's age.

Username: Babsalua

Hi I m new to the forum and I have read alot of the problems with the D70/D70s. First alot of you photographers should always follow these rules: Have a spare set of batteries, spare card for your digital and if you are on a job a spare camera! I am not a professional per say I have had about a dozen paying jobs weddings parties. Until a year ago I used a Nikon N5005 and a Nikon F90x and always had spare batteries and lots of film. As I gave my son my 5005 I mainly use my D70 but always have my 90x as a spare. My 76 yr old dad is on his 3rd digital nikon a D80 He had the coolpix well I m a 4th generation photography buff.
Well here is my problem - When I take a flash photo now a third of the picture (the bottom) is black - hopefully I am solving the problem by charging the battery also it happens when i attach my sb28 flash. When the flash is not on the photo comes out fine. Another question how the heck do i update the firmware? Well get it in the camera?

Username: Babsalua

Post Number: 3
oops I started a new thread. Like I said I am new to the forum thing.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12617
The SB28 is not compatible with the D70. It will work but you have to set it manually. 1/3 of your pictures being black could be a result of lens shadowing. Or you have sync problems with the sb28.

As far as updating the firmware, go to the nikonusa website and follow the instructions to the letter.

Username: Edorisoto

I bought my D70s in 2005. First the built in flash quit working. Then it started telling me to change the card, which I did. I used two cards, a 512mb card and a 1g card. It worked fine for a while but the problem kept coming back. Then just recently it would not turn off except when I removed the battery. Lately I have been using the camera and just leaving it turned on. I keep a spare battery with me but a fully charged batter will last through a basetball/basketball game. I have been to the Nikon website repeatedly. There is no firmware update for the D70s. I sent my camera to Nikon but they returned it because I could not find my receipt and I had no proof of purchase. I have found a local shop that will repair it. I have read about these problems with this model. Had I done a little more research I never would've bought it. And Nikon service sucks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us