Nikon D40 or Canon Rebel XT/EOS350D

Bronze Member
Username: Philipt95148

Post Number: 36
I have been looking at these two for a while but cannot decide over the differences between the two.
To me, those are:
Canon - 8mgp, 7 focus fields, smaller sensor 22.2 x 14.8 mm
Nikon - 6mgp, 3 focus fields, bigger sensor 23.7 x 15.5 mm

Which is better for taking picture of a fast moving baby and future sport activities and so on?

Any advicee is much appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12304
Canon...but be advised this is old technology for Canon.

Any of the 2 cameras will work great.

What is your photographic experience?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Thanks for the quick reply Berny.

Point and shoot is me. I will probably leave everything on Automatic. The reason why I am looking at these is shutter lag on the standard digicam, you push a button and nothing happens and the baby is gone to another spot, the smile is gone, etc.

It seems that there is a lot of problems with the D70. Is that anything to judge the D40 being even in the lower price range?

But do you think that with a smaller sensor that the Canon won't be as good in lowlight? Does the extra mgp make up the difference?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12308
It does seem like there are problems with the D70, but in the 2 years I have owned one, I have never had any issues with it. I also have a D200 and no problems there either. So I do not think that it is a good way to judge the D40.

The Canon is an excellent camera and both are well suited for lowlight situations but, in all honesty, it all depends on the lens. There are excellent lenses out there and they cost more than the camera...

Megapixels are never a good way to judge a camera. So take that out of the equation.

Go here for some reading. Take note that some of these are Nikon-centric so do not take it as gospel.

http://www.bythom.com/index.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

http://www.fredmiranda.com/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Hi Berny,

I looked through all the sites you gave and am none the wiser since they are either pro Nikon or Canon.

I am at this point leaning towards the Canon but have a few more questions if you can help me.

1. The Nikon has a F1.8D and the Canon F1.4D.
What does that mean?

The Nikon seems to come out on top in dpreview in
terms of pic quality. Is that the result of better lens or better image processing software?

Either way having an extra 2mgp or more focus points doesn't seem to matter for the Canon?

2. I was able to play with both in BestBuy but was not able to get the Nikon to shoot continuously WITH Flash! The salesman did not know how to either. It will simply take one shot with flash and when set to continuous, takes photo without flash. This is inside BestBuy with their lighting condition.

With the Canon, you simply select Continuous mode, hold down the shutter and the camera will fire away with flash.

Is this a feature the D40 does not have or because of the bigger sensor does not need flash under the lighting condition?

Thanks for helping me out.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12340
1. The 1.8D and 1.4D are lenses suited for low light photography. This means that they have a large lens opening or aperture to allow more light into your sensor.

Picture quality is dependent largely upon the quality of lenses but it also works in conjunction with your image processor. This one is very complicated as there differing schhols of thought on what makes a good picture quality.

As far as continuous mode and flash you cannot do this with the D40. You need to get a dedicated flash until if you want this done. I rarely use this feature on my flash unit. But if it is something you think you may need, then get the Canon. And it has nothing to do with the sensor. The ability to capture in low light has something to with ISO sensitivity and your lens opening and shutter speed.

I know that this does not make it easier for you to make a decision, but know that you will be happier with either camera. What you choose to do with will determine your choice of lenses and not the body.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
How does the numbering work? the lower the better? ie: 1.4d is better than 1.8d?
Just for my understanding.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12345
Not necessarily better. The numbers are just apertures or how wide it can go. Both makers have lenses that are 1.4. I am under the impression that someone told you that Nikon does not have a 1.4 lens, but they do.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12346
Oh and the lower numbers represent a wider aperture.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
No, no one told me. Just my own ignorance.

After all considerations, it seems that Canon wins here, for me at least, with 2 extra mgp, 7 auto focus points, continuous shooting flash mode.

Out of curiosity, you have two Nikon camera's but you advocate for Canon here? Did you have different choices at the higher end market?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12347
I am Nikon user but I also have experience with Canon and my recommendation is usually based on the person wanting to get into the hobby. I cannot get into the Nikon vs Canon debacle, it is pointless, both camera makers are great and one is suited for one person depending on their use over another.

With the right camera at the right price...we all win.

My choice for Nikon was fueled by familiarity, ease of use and a slew of Nikon lenses. I could have ended up with either camera depending on my situation when I started out. It was just easier for me to lean towards Nikon because I had a lot of Nikon equipment as opposed to Canon.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Ok got it.
Thanks for your help and thanks for sharing.

Even though the Canon is more than a year old since release, it still sells for $100 more than the brand new D40. That speaks volume for the technical quality/advantage of this design (not Nikon Vs Canon, just to make sure I don't upset anyone).

I still think the D40 looks gorgeous!
Cheers

Username: Bosunpip

Post Number: 3
I would go for the Canon (being a 'Canon Man')
If you start off with one type it is best to stick to it.. remember the lens mounting is different so if you want to change later you have a whole slew of lenses to change as well- expensive.
As for the lens aperture.. yes a F1.4 lens can get a higher shutter speed in lower light but it also has a very narrow depth of field (the amount in focus in a frame at one time) so even with auto focus you have to be careful. Nothing wrong with the 1.8 though.

Username: Bosunpip

Post Number: 4
Forgot to mention sensor size. This can have advantages. The smaller sensor of some Digi cameras meen you have to multiply the lens focus lens by 1.3 or 1.6 usually. So say on an old canon Eos 10D SLR (UK name) the sensor is the old 'APS' (remember that) size. therefore any lens length attached has to be mulitplied by 1.6. for instance a 200 mm f2.8 becomes a 320mm at f2.8 which is better for sports photography. On the down side it also means that a standard 50mm lens suddenly becomes a 80mm, good for portraits but not much else.. so the lens makers made ever wide lenses such as 10, 15 mm etc to compensate. Unfortunately some of the cheaper lenses are not that good.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 410
Huh, somehow missed this thread.

First of all, IMHO all the specs originally listed to compare the cameras are a) so close to one another you will never notice the difference, and b) some of the least important ones to look at.

Truly, between those two, the best thing you can do is get one of each in your hands and play with it for a while. Either demos in a big box store, or better rent each one for a day. The ergonomics & how each works for you is more important. Also, take a look at the lenses available & see who has the best match for your needs--this is more important since with digital bodies come & go, but the lenses stick around for a long time.

The f-stops has been pretty well explained. So f1.4 is "faster" than f1.8 being a larger opening (BTW, I presume you're looking at the 50mm in which case you have 4 choices with Canon: the new f1.2, f14, f1.8, and f2.5 Macro). The wider max aperture does several things: 1) it allows faster shutter speeds in low light, 2) I gives a narrower DOF, great for portraits, and 3) it gives a brighter viewfinder image, and 4) with Canon's AF system a f2.8 or faster lens activates a high-sensitivity mode in the center sensor.

The "crop factor" is just that. So that 200mm lens on a 1.6 sensor (known as APS-C) give the same field of view as a 320mm lens, however the perspective is the same as that of a 200mm. It's a suble difference & is more easily seen with ultra wide angle lenses & their exaggerated distortion.

Now, Phil, don't go knocking the plastic fantastic. Yes, it's a cheap build quality, but the optics are great. And that 80mm FOV is useful for anywhere you'd want an 80mm FOV--I use it for coffee shop dance shows I shoot. Perfect focal length for head-and-shoulder shots with the "standard" perspective, and the f1.8 gives me good low light speed. Name another lens that gives better results for $70.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
So I am back with the same dilemna.

I thought I had decided for the Canon......until Phil Hannah and Chris L came in with their inputs. ALL terrific and valuable but it gives me some questions.

Phil H, so is it better to have a bigger sensor in the D40. Is that why the pics are better then the Canon?
Or is it just improvements in newer software and more recent design?

Chris, given your advice, should the decision be for the D40 because as I played with it, I liked it more than the Canon.

BUT....here are still the pros and cons.

Canon pros
- extra 2mgp
- 7 auto focus points
- continuous shoot mode with flash
- CMOS Vs CCD

BUT....like you said...does it really make a huge difference.....

cons....

- Cost an extra $100 than D40
- DP Review did not like the standard lens and advised to get better lens, ie: more cost

Yes the D40 has 2mgp less but we know it doesn't make that much difference, neither is the 3 auto focus points. So we can push the button twice for flash, big deal? The lens is not so flexible....but....how many lens am I going to buy for this camera? Given my experience and use of the camera, probably zero,
worst case a telephoto.
And ......it's so cute!

Can someone just give a flash of inspiration please???? This is killing me....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12370
Invalid points to the lay person and for that matter the photographer as opposed to a nitpicker too caught up in technical aspects. Concentrate on the photographer and the photo. The camera is nothing but a tool. First study your basics...composition, using your eye...no offense but you do not have enuogh experience in photography yet.

Megapixels...the difference will not be seen. VEry tempting for the un-initiated.

7 auto-focus points...How many focus points will you ultimately use?

Continuous shoot mode with flash? Impressive but you have to know what you actually need this for. Again...you need the experience to evaluate the circumstances in which you will need this feature.

CMOS vs CCD - leave this argument to the analytical retentive tech heads. You will be told that one is superior over the other and you will be swayed to pick one over the other. But in the end, no matter which one is superior, the photo that you keep is the one that you like...the one that portrays what you want to say. CCD or CMOS does nto take part in that equation.

Please do not take offense, but you are making this harder than it has to be. Looking at the specs of each will not realistically portray a superior camera.

Get one you can afford and get one that you can use with ease. All the rest will follow. gain the experience and you will be able to determine what you need as far as additional equipment is concerned.

For example, once you determine that the speedlight is no longer enough, (you will soon see its limitations), you'd soon want a separate speedlight...on any brand camera that you end up getting.

And who cares about what DPReview wants or likes...you will be using this camera not them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
hi Berny,
Don't worry, no offense taken.
I do appreciate the experience you share with the complete beginners such as myself. This is why I asked in the forum in the first place.

But I disagree with you slightly on the photographer and the photo equation, if the camera is nothing but a tool and the photographer is inexperienced, should he not pick the best tool to help him makes the least mistake and the better photo that he likes?

I will now go and play with the cameras and see which one I Like and go with it.
Cheers

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12374
I can understand your disagreement, it may be true the best tool eases the work for the craftsman, however, the mistake is still made by the user and not the tool. If the user does not know how to use the tool and what he wants to get out of it, then it is useless.

Always start with the basics. A D2X nor a 5Dwill not teach you composition and it will not teach you how to look at an object and evaluate it. The person needs to know the the relationships between shutter speed, aperture settings and the like. Given that the camera can make an evaluative decision as far as the lighting and focus is concerned, the individual still need to make a decision on whether or not to follow those settings. What then will the individual do if he/she was given a camera that is fully dependent on the user's input?

What do you do if you want a certain look to your photograph? What if you want your subject to be at sharp focus and the background out of focus? What if you have very little light and you want just a silhoutte or the highlights of the subjects face? Would you know what to do? Your camera certainly won't know what to do. It will give you the best possible exposure for the situation, but it will not tell you what to do for the situations I just named. You need to be able to set that camera so that the photograph comes out the way you envisoned.

So what should the inexperienced photographer do? Start with the basics and learn.

"Go play with the cameras"...this is the perfect action to take. Welcome to the world of photography and have fun. :-)

Username: Masonaries

Post Number: 1
I too am looking at both of these cameras. A COMPUSA is going out of business near me and they have them both for $439.99. I read somewhere that with the Nikon you have to buy lenses that have an auto focus motor built in. Is this true? I would like to add lenses later as I have children just getting into sports. I have a friend who wants to sell me a Canon EOS D10 that has all kinds of extras as well for around the same price. My concern is that it's used though. Also, COMPUSA is "All sales final" which is worrisome to me but you can't beat the price eh? Any suggestions?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14353
Stay away from the Canon 10D...that thing is so obsolete!

An auto focus motor built in? That is so out of context. And should have absolutely no bearing on your purchase of a camera. There will be lenses on both sides that may not work, but I doubt that these are lenses that you will need. You will have some issues with older lenses but the new ones will be no problem.

Either choice (Rebel or D40 will be a winner.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 96
The Canon 50mm f1.8 is the deal of the century.
Great lens, clear, good color and high resolution.
Great available light lens. Some knock it for poor bokah. Big deal. For 75$ or so, you can't miss.
Least expensive Canon lens you can buy.
The 1.6 cropfactor of the Rebel makes it an 80mm equivelent, which is a fine portrait lens.

Don't leave home without it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us