CANON 300D Bought with lens

Username: Glowman

Winterhaven, Fl USA

Post Number: 1
Hi Can anyone help me with an explantion of what I have bought.
First I must say that I bought all this for a give away price.Apart from the Canon Camera it had with it:
18-55 1:3.5-5.6 and a 75-3001:4-5.6
5 CIF cards amounting to 6 M
lots of other parts.
My main question is given these lens what scope does it give me, are those lenses what I should have to take pictures of the family, wild life and aircraft at shows.
Or should I look for different lenses

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 400
Use those to start with. The first lens is the standard kit lens, 18-55mm focal length; the 3.5-5.6 is the wide open aperture (f3.4 at 18mm to f5.6 at 55mm). The other lens is a consumer-grade zoom (75mm to 300mm) with variable wide-open aperture of f4 to f5.6. You are best off trying to stay in the "sweet spot" at about f8-f11 with these. They aren't considered great lenses, but are good starting lenses.

You have a pretty wide focal range here & it will do fine for what you mention.

Username: Glowman

Winterhaven, Fl USA

Post Number: 2
Thank you for that advice I was pleased to see that I have bought well.
one further question:
I am visiting the USA at the moment and as I will most probaly not be in this position again with the exchange rate being so good, before I bought this used camera and lenses, I was going to buy a new camera and lenses
Someone suggested I bought a 28-135 and a 70-300
before I made this used purchase, would you agree with that as being a good choice now I have got
these two lenses in the used purchase.
Looking ahead could you suggest further lenses
that would either replace or fit in with the ones I have.
I'm sorry to ask you for all this advice but I don't know anything about this subject yet, hopefully I will in time

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 402
It depends a lot on what you intend to do with it (the subjects you mention require two quite different types of lens) and your budget. The air shows and wildlife can use quite pricey lenses. For family snaps what you already have is a decent start & really only needs to be upgraded if you are not satisfied with the kit lens quality or need a "faster" lens for flashless indoor shots.

For my needs, I have mainly researched the more expensive, fast "L" lenses which is overkill for most people.

To get a feel for how different lenses perform, check out http://www.photodo.com and http://www.photozone.de -- both have good review databases of Canon lenses (and Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina EOS-mount lenses as well).

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11737
Terry,
In order for you to make a determination of lenses that you are going to need, you first have to find your niche. What you have written on your original post was very broad and for that you will probably need quite a selection of lenses as opposed to few general lenses during times when you step out of your area of interest.

What you have right now, as Chris pointed out, are great for general photography, family portraits and such.

If and when you do find your niche and when you start getting deeper into photography, you will be able to determine your needs as far as lenses go. Either way, Canon lenses will not disappoint:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us