SD Card - 133x - is it worth it?

Bronze Member
Username: Dish_newb

Post Number: 17
I just bought a Canon SD 700 IS and am looking to buy a suitable SD card. What speed should I go for. I will be using this camera for family purposes only - kids, occassions etc. I am not a professional by any means. I read that the 133x is really good. Do I really need that or can I settle for a 60x, 50x, 32x 10x? Also any suggestions for good brands will be appreciated.

Basically, I am looking for good value for my money.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11209
Lexar, Sandisk, all work really well and come with an excellent warranty.

The thing is , you really don't need fast cards for cameras as the buffer in the camera will take care of the amount of continuous photos you can take. the write speed would really not matter for a point and shoot so do not worry too much about that. The speed rating apply when youa re transferring the pics to the PC and even then, if you are not depending on how fast you can churn out photos for a living, just get a nice reputable card.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Berny - Thanks for the advice. This is exactly the type of explanation I needed. This was so helpful

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11235
You are welcome and enjoy your camera:-)

...and remember, better to have multiple low capacity memory cards than only one high capacity card.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
another nice tip.... I was thinking of IGB, but based on yr message I confused now. I will be using this just for personal purposes - kids, vacations etc.

What do you suggest - 512MB? 1GB? or others?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11246
512MB is adequate. 1GB is kinda pushing it, you will tend to take it for granted.

You have to make a habit of downloading your pics to the PC every chance you get. Once you have a huge memory space, you will tend to put it off until the card is full. Problem is...it only taks 1 file to get corrupted and the whole set of pictures in that 1 memory card is rendered useless.

Stay away from generic memory cards as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Thanks Berny. That always has been my belief to store less pictures on the card. You have re-inforced it.

Thanks once again for all this good advice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us