Need advice on buying digital camera

Bronze Member
Username: Dish_newb

Post Number: 14
I need some helping in buying a good digital camera. Here's what I am looking for:

- atleast 2.5 - 3 in viewfinder
- a really good flash that will take good pictures inside your house. If it doesnt have a great flash, I atleast need somekind of hot shoe to which I can connect a fully synched external flash (possibly with metering)
- lighweight and pocketable
- good battery life
- I am not looking for too many frills
- I am not too fancy for mega pixels. 5MP will suffice for me
- point and shoot
- price 250 - 400 USD

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11086
Canon SD700. with the Image Stabilization feature you can go 2 or 3 stops over normal.

However, the hot shoe feature is a little over the top for compact point and shoot cameras. Your other option is to get a slave flash. These compact cameras do not have the capacity for a powerful flash. Kinda defeats the purpose of the whole pocketable concept.

Bronze Member
Username: Dish_newb

Post Number: 15
Berny - thanks for the info. Where can I learn more about the slave flash. How do I attach and synchronize the camera and the flash? Does the SD700 come with an option to hookup a slave flash?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11092
A slave flash is activated by the flash from the point and shoot camera. The problem is that it can also be activated by another flash from another camera. And the red eye reduction feature has to be deactivated because the pre-flash will activate the slave unit as well. I believe there are units that can be programmed but I have not used it with point and shoots.

http://www.srelectronics.com/dlx3000.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/dsf-1s.html

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 386
Except for the flash requirement just about anything on the market will do. I am not aware of any P&S with a hot shoe; most don't have anything other than the crummy internal. However, there must be some that you can attach a flash to; my old Coolpix 995 had a port for a cable that gave it a hotshoe for any Nikon flash (had a SB-80 for it).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us