Sony DSC W70 - MY

Username: Msy

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I am planning on my first Digicam. I started research on sony and somehow narrowed down to DSC-W70. And then I came across this site and especially read some views from Berny (https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/photography/127762.html). And now I am in 2 minds on whether to go ahead with W70. Which Canon model is in the same range as the W70 and about similar features. Which canon model do the experts here suggest?

Mangesh

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11014
What features of the Sony are important to you?

If you want a good camera check out the Canon SD700 . With the image stabilization, and great lens, it is miles ahead of Sony.

Post Number: 2
Hi Berny,

Thanks for the advice. I think that model is out of my budget. But what about the Ixus 60 and 65. Which ones better. What about the Canon Powershot A series range. Any good camera around $350 range. I don't mind if its little bulky. I just made a comparison between the Ixus and W70 available on http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon _sd700is%2Ccanon_sd600%2Ccanon_sd630%2Csony_dscw70&show=all.
I think people here do not like the dpr site, but I came across that site first. About Sony, Its not that any particuar feature in sony thats improtant to me (I have a Sony Service centre in my town, if that makes any difference). Just that it should be a better camera thats what is important. I also noticed a lot of bad review for the canon Ixus series on the DPR site. But when I had gone to a few stores they all suggested the Ixus range. Its just more confusion.

Mangesh

Post Number: 3
Hi,

Hows the Canon SD450. I think its a good buy.

Mangesh

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 385
Of the ones you're comparing, I'd lean towards the SD700. Yeah, it's more expensive but that's because it has IS and a wider zoom range. Seems like the most capable camera of the bunch.

It's not that we all necessarily dislike DPR as a whole, it's just that the forums there are full of trolls. I'll look at the site's revies, but don't bother with the forums as I both find the content largely a waste of time & it's worst-formatted boards I've ever run across.

If you haven't found it yet, check out Steve's Digicams as well, they have very good comprehensive reviews.

Post Number: 4
Hi Chris,

Thanks. I have zeroed in on the Ixus 60. Its costing me about $300.

Mangesh

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11028
I'm sure you will be happy with the Ixus.

Post Number: 5
Hi Berny,

Thanks. will be back with the feedback on Ixus next time, hopefully.

Mangesh

Post Number: 6
Hi All,

I got the Ixus 60 three days back. Looks good, no problems till now, but haven't really explored it. By the way, is there a way to erase all the pictures from the memory at one go. Deleting pictures one at a time is really time-consuming.

Mangesh

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11090
The pictures can be deleted all at once by formatting the memory card.
Have you read the manual? It will really help:-)

Post Number: 7
Hi Berny,

Thanks. I think thats in the advanced manual, because I didn't come across the formatting part in the user guide (unless ofcourse I missed it). Anyway I'll read everything thats available now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us