Philips Keychain Digital Camera Review

Silver Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 368
Ok, so I picked up this little digital camera at Wal-Mart. Its a Philips Keychain Digital Camera ,model #P44417S. It only costs $15, so I figured what the heck, even if it doesn't take great pictures. Well, yes, I was right, the pictures aren't "great", but they are fairly good. I've taken a few pictures and downloaded them to the computer. They tend to be a little grainy. Also, I have found out that when you take the picture, you have to wait a second or two for the camera to actually take the picture. Hint here...listen for a beep, that way you don't take pictures of walls or other unintended things. Oh, and it also has a
video mode where it can either take 10 seconds of video, or if hooked up to your PC, it can be used as a webcam.

so heres how it all pans out

Price>Great...$15, you can't beat that

Ease of use>Very easy, just make sure you read the instructions.

Picture Quality>On a scale of 1-10 I would say about a 7. Not great, but not terrible either
Ease of Downloading pictures> Once again, as long as you have read the instructions and loaded the software, no problem.

Summing it all up, for $15 I guess its good enough for my use, but not professional use. I'll post a pic of myself here, so ya'll can see the quality of the pics.Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 759
ok, now i have learned the bad side, it goes through a battery in about 3 days, so its only good for short term use, not if you want to save yuor picture in the camera for any period of time.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11392
Does the memory get erased when the battery runs out?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1173
yup, when it goes dead, it erases everything, Like I said, if you take the pics, then immediately download them to the computer to save them, it would work ok but dont expect to keep them more than 3 days, if you just keep them on the camera.

Username: Bahh24

Jenkintown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 1
I bought mine at walmart but i don't have the box it came in anymore. is there A download where i can dowlod the cd or is there A phone # I can call? thanks libra

Username: Mycamcif

I think you can search google for that}

Username: Mycamcif

Post Number: 2
}I find this camera (being my frist) easy to use and relibile.I got mine for the same price and place.

Username: Arisaab

I got the same camera, a blue one at that for christmas from a friend at school, so did the rest of my friends. Its a pretty cool camera bu like when its in stand by for 10 minutes or so the picture get delete, can someone help me out?

Username: Domai

Pontiac, MI USA

The Driver's for this camera doesn't work anymore...The camera worked once under winXP home when I changed to WinXP Pro it stopped working...Where can I find a Driver upgrade...

Pontiac, MI USA

Post Number: 2
I got the camera to work, the camera work on a USB extention cable or a USB hub, You have to plug the USB cable directly to the USB port on your computer, this is the only solution that I know that works...

Pontiac, MI USA

Post Number: 3
Walmart has this camera for sale for $15, spend $5 more and get the Vivatar Digital Camera it has just about the same spec's but it has a working flash, a usable view finger, and you can mount it on a small tripod...

Pontiac, MI USA

Post Number: 4
I couldn't edit the previous post, to fix a typo)
I got the camera to work, the camera} work on a USB extention cable or a USB hub, You have to plug the USB cable directly to the USB port on your computer, this is the only solution that I know that works...

Pontiac, MI USA

Post Number: 5
DAMN IT, it did it again!!!

I couldn't edit the previous post, to fix a typo

I got the camera to work, the camera will not work on a USB extention cable or a USB hub, You have to plug the USB cable directly to the USB port on your computer, this is the only solution that I know that works...

Username: Seattlepioneer

People obviously have had a lot of issues with this camera. Personally, I've found it useful and a good value for $15.00

Here are the codes for the camera, for those who don't have them:

SE = self timer
CE = Continuous shooting mode
CP = compress mode
nP: non compress mode
AI: video function mode
OF: switch the camera to stand by mode
CL: delete the last photo
CA: delete all
Hr: high resolution format
Lr: low resolution format
F5: 50Hz
F6: 60 Hz

In general, cycle through the various options by pushing the button on the front of the camera until the option you want appears. Select that option by pushing the button on the top of the camera.

Some of the options are kind of annoying---

for example, the "CE" option allows pictures to be taken about once per second. But you have to select the CE option and then strart shooting the continuous images within about ten seconds, or it defaults to single shots.

Same for the "AI" option, which allows you to take slow scan video. You have to select the AI option and then start your video shot within a few seconds. As soon as you quit shooting, it reverts to regular shots. You get about 16 seconds of slow scan video before filling up the memory. You can alternate between single shots and video.

To purge the camera of shots you have taken, push the button on the front of the camera until "CL" or "CA" appears, then push the button on the top of the camera. The display starts blinking, prompting you to confirm that you want the pictures deleted. Push the top button again to delete the last image (CL) or all the images (CA).

If you can't remember how to delete the images, just remove the battery for a few seconds and all the pictures will be deleted.

Battery keep going dead? Switch the battery end-for end and reinstall in the camera until you want to take more pictures.

Save desired images to a floppy disk to save them or transfer them to your EBAY or Cragslist sale or any other use.

My camera and software has worked just fine. I understand that hasn't been the case for a good many people. But I've been pretty pleased with what my $15 purchased.

This camera takes better pics than my cell phone camera.

Username: Stuartcollis

I lost my instructions. How do you get this thing to work as a webcam, again?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us