The new Nikon D80

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9377
Now if we can just get the friggin' 18-200 VR in stock.

http://www.nikondigital.com/main.html?page=d80

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 364
Looks interesting & good competition to the 30D. Won't make me switch though. :-)

Some very nice specs, some that strike me as meh, and some WTF?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9382
I know Chris LOL... I won't even try...

I think the main target for this one is to keep the Sony converted Minolta abomination Alpha from getting a foothold.

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
I would like to say that shouldn't be difficult, but Sony still has an amazing amount of brand pull--go figure.

I think they're going to discourage a lot of people based on what I've been reading. Super-cheap plastic contruction, low body price, exorbiant lens prices. So, once they've got 'em, they're going to stick it to 'em.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9453
No doubt about that. That marketing department money has some serious tug.

What amazes me was how fast they were able to come up with another camera to the line up. They culled the D50 and D200 parts and came up with the D80. No re-engineering, just a way to take parts from the bins and put together a brand new camera. Heaven forbid they take a cue from Canon's lead.

Username: Benr

Fort Pierce, Florida USA

Post Number: 5
Chris and Berny, for years I was in the audiophile chase. Upgraded every 12 to 18 months, until I realized that I could only hear a limited improvement once I got to a certain dollar point. I belive the same is true with cameras. Once you hit a certain price point, and obtain a camera with the necessary and acceptable components, the real genius of the product is behind the camera.

However, build them and they will come, all in the marketing. I think that I will stick wth my D70 for a while. So much to learn, so little time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9489
"the real genius of the product is behind the camera"

Well put!

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
Absolutely. That is a large part of the reason I fully intend to keep my 20D until I wear it out; Canon will have to come up with somethig truly amazing (or I'll have to fall into $9,000 unexpectedly) for me to update the body for a long time ot come.

I'm doing the same with my HT stuff (used to hang out here in those forums before the trolls wore me out); I still have a few speakers to gather & a couple other components...then I'm happy until the new formats settle down and/or something breaks.

Username: Elie

Post Number: 1
I've recently bought a Nikon D80 (to replace a D70 bought Mar 2004 as the repair shop quoted 485AUD to fix BGLOD). I find it does not seem to handle situations where there is high contrast and results are vastly under exposed. Can any one suggest what settings I might need to adjust.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12417
Increase you exposure compensation.

Post Number: 3
I've tried adjusting expcomp but still haven't got it right. I've been running comparison between my D70 (now fixed after BGLOD) and the D80. The D70 seems to handle varying exposure situations that the D80 is having problems with. I mainly use AP so I've got more control but I think there is something I'm missing for the D80. If I use it Program or Automatic it is woeful in these situations. I find it somewhat better than the D70 with situations where I can control the lighting. Those extra pixels are great.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12718
How are you metering?

Post Number: 4
I've tried both spot and evaluative. I now think that it is a firmware problem as the the screen display immediately on taking the shot looks ok, its only when I redisplay in screen or on pc after downloading that the exposure problem is obvious. I havent tried shooting jpeg yet - it may just be a RAW issue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us