D70s vs 30D Comparison.

Username: Bgbs

Post Number: 1
My friend has 30D that he is proud of, and I have D70s. When we compare pics in terms of richness and clarity, mine came out visibly better. We both use lenses that came kitted with our cameras. Most of us who are not super photographers are not going to run around purchasing newer and better lenses. I believe a consumer makes his/her decision based on picture, not on cameras ability to do this special trick or the other. Picture quality is what counts. And if the pictures out of the box suck, thats all the camera is worth.

Here are the two pics side by side comparison, right out of the lense, unedited in photo editing applications. The only thing I did is resize the two images http://bibikova.com/nikoncanon.jpg
Suit for yourself.

NOTE: I didnt try to pic the best picture I ever took, I chose this pic because those were the closest side by side pics I have found. On everage that is how all my pics turn out, and on everage that is how my friends pics turn out.

I know that experts argue left and right which camera does what. This side by side comparison comes from two everage camera users that bought their camera about half a year ago.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8590
Your camera does not matter. And all this Nikon vs Canon debacle is pointless.
Picture quality is a good thing but that is not what makes a good photograph. The side by side comparison is also a moot point. If you have perfectly good image and yet it does not possess that quality which makes the on-looker wanting to pause and study the photograph and stir them in some way, it is nothing more than a picture.

What does the photograph convey, what does it tell you, what does it make you think? All of these, make the photograph, only an idiot goes into a photo gallery and start criticizing the sharpness of a photograph that just sold for a few thousand dollars.

Here is a good example:

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/06/great-photographers-on-interne t.html

It is a great satiric critic of some of the works of a few of the world's best known photographers.

Nikon, Canon, Olympus, who cares, it is not the camera...it is the photographer.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 350
Honestly the only difference in those shots is the white balance. The Nikon is leaning a littel warm while the Canon is leaning a little green--neither is spot-on. Other than that they look about the same. Nikon vs Canon or Ford vs Chevy or PC vs Mac, it doesn't really matter.

The whole point of getting a DSLR is the ability to get better and more lenses, it really does make a difference. Remember that the lens is more important than the camera (i.e., a Rebel with a top quality lens will have a better chance of producing a great image than a 1D-series with a garbage lens).

Berny, that site is hilarious. I saw that last month & just about fell out of my chair. Painfully true--especially considering the recent auction price of one. :-)

Post Number: 2
The examples you provided are, how should I put it, they are artistic but not realistic. There is realism in photograph and there is work of art. Artistic, for example, is when you take a pic of a door knob and you capture it in such a way that it actually look really good, but when you go and look at the same door knob with your naked eye, it will look nothing but the same old door knob to which you didnt pay attention - and probably never will. Realism and Art are brilliant works, but not the same. If you are shooting for commercial industry, your photograph has to convey exactly what it is intended for, but when you are shooting for yourself, all it has to convey is good memory.

Post Number: 3
Chris
The difference is not only white balance, but the quality of the pic as a whole. if you take the two and apply the white balance to look the same, you will still notice visible difference in Nikon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8594
Good point ben, but still a waste of time. Both cameras are great in their own right and they can reproduce realism equally well, but debating which one can produce that reality is futile. Any individual will prefer one or the other and trying to convince them that one is better than the other by using comparisons is just trying to sway them into your own preference.

Does your friend now regret ever buying his Canon? Do you think that your side by side comparison ever swayed Canon users to scramble into the Nikon side of things.

That is what the marketing department for the camera companies they work for, they are trying to convince you that buying their camera is always the better choice. The argument they present for their respective companies are meant to bring over to their camp and buy their products.

The consumer on the other hand who buy their product believe that they have made the right choice and will justify it to anyone and everyone that they have the best thing since sliced bread. Because in the end that is all it is, you are trying to justify that you made a better choice than the other guy. The old, mine is better than yours mentality.

Case in point...

Chris...did that picture convince you that Nikon is better? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
No. But then I'm not a Canon fanboy either. Remember, I spent several weeks choosing between the D100 and 20D; the Canon suited my needs better, so that's the way I went.

I don't think either of the example images are necessarily better than the other. The photographer made more difference here than the camera. It really gets down to both cameras are more than capable enough to produce a good image in that situation.

I think you missed the point of the satire.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8614
Who, me?

Post Number: 4
I only brought up this argument, because I always felt that canon has some superiority in picture quality, at least thats what I've read upon so far. But when it comes down to everage user review, it becomes unclear

I dont know about you guys, but you must be blid if you look at two picture and you dont notice even a dynamic difference...and the difference is technical not skillful.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8616
Therein lies the problem...there is always that someone who feels that they have to show that one is superior over the other.

You are trying to show that you clearly made the better purchase, by trying to convince others that there is a technical difference and that the Nikon is technically superior. And you boost your argument by stating that "we must be blind"...which clearly indicates now that you are trying to tell us that we are at fault for not seeing the clear superiority of the Nikon over the Canon. There is a difference...it is up to the user which they prefer.

Didn't you just write down "all it has to do is convey a good memory"? Why then present this argument?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8617
There is also a problem with that side by side comparison. No EXIF data on either. There is no clear indicator that both pictures are taken by different cameras under the same conditions. All we have is your word.

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
No, Berny, not you.

Insulting us isn't a way to get agreement. In the example situation, either camera is perfectly capable of creating a good image--it doesn't matter what body you have.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8642
I think that was the point of his post.

Post Number: 5
Hold on, but the pic is supperior if you take a closer look. I was shocked myself that my cheaper camera produces such nice quality pics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8697
Says who? Superior according to whom, you?
One is warmer, the other is cooler. You are judging it based on your preference, nothing more. How do we know that they were even taken by different cameras? Because you said so?

We've seen guys like you come in here and do side by side comparisons touting the supposed superiority of their gear, with only their word that "straight out of the camera...nothing has been re-touched"!

Canon says the other...Nikon says, one. It's all meant to bait some serious flames.

If you like the pictures, leave it at that.

Post Number: 6
lol,
No, it is superior according the example. It's not about even cooler and warmer, it's about picture quality if you know what I mean. Canon looks flat if you are having a hard time distinguishing the difference, not much dynamic.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8698
If you say so.

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
Not only was the point of the satire missed, the whole point of all our responses was missed (or is it a case of poking fingers in the ears & chanting "nanananana" :|

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0817463003

Gold Member

Post Number: 8734
What can you do, Chris?

We've been told we are blind, we can't distinguish differences and we are having a hard time with dynamics.

I love these new digital camera owners. They get to be such experts in the field and perfect judges of photography.

Post Number: 7
What you guys can do is humble your selves to the reality.

It's just CCD sensors have better sensitivity towards night, and that converts to better dalight pics as well as better night contrast pics
I have couple of expirimental examples to show you
http://bibikova.com/night.jpg

Gold Member

Post Number: 8748
Yes, we now recognize that you are the world's foremost expert on the field of photography. Apparently you are also an expert on CCD and CMOS technology! WOW! Thanks for your wonderful insight.

We are so glad that you posted these pictures for comparison. Now everyone knows that Nikon is so much better than Canon. Canon is now going to go out of business because there is no reason for anyone to buy their products, since you have shown the reality for everyone to see.

The pictures are proof positive that they were taken by a Nikon and the other a Canon. It is beyond contention, since you are, after all an expert and whatever you say must be the truth! You friend must really love the way you "borrow" his camera for your lovely "mine is better than yours experiment".

Quickly ben, look for a Canon forum, so you can show this to them and inform them of their blindness and thus humble themselves to reality.

Post Number: 8
I actually already tried posting these pics on one Canon forum, but very quickly I got chewed up and my Topic was taken down the next day. Let me tell you, these Canon users are not a friendly crowd.

The only diffensive argument I got from those guys is that Canon has less noise. On the rest of the issues they were wishy-washy left-and-right. So the conclusion was, you need a $800 lense for Canon to make pics worthwhile.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8751
Say it isn't so!

Those blind fools, you must make them realize the error of their ways. Haven't they recognized your expertise? Did you tell them about your decades of experience in photography and that you are the world's foremost expert on photo dynamics?

I can't believe they chewed you up despite your credentials. Your topic got taken down as well? That is just beyond belief!

Now try posting this on a Nikon-centric forum and I am sure they will rally to your cause.

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
Sigh. OK enough wasting time here. I'll finish with a very pertinent quote: stupid is as stupid does.

Post Number: 9
Nikon users dont care much what I had to show them, they claimed they already knew that nikon lenses are better so I was of no chear to them and there was no point of me rallying really. They were like "Weeeeell, my d200 and d2x produce much better quality."

Gold Member

Post Number: 8778
Of course...you seem surprised.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us