Apples and Oranges

Bronze Member
Username: Nikoncd

Post Number: 18
I know this is gonna be a wierd post, but had to get some help anyhows... I recently had my Fuji F10 stolen from me, although everyone here prolly isn't fond of fuji from the sounds of posts (highly Sony, Canon, and Casio) I thought it was one helluva a point and shoot. Getting to the point though, I am now in search of a new camera... something that I can easily grow into with more manual features, perhaps a dSLR. The XT seems like my first choice, would you guys say D50 instead? Or maybe a point and shoot with more manual features? I've been really thinking about the Casio-EXZ1000, due sometimes soon. I know megapixels aren't everything, so its not the 10 megapixels, a friend of mine has the 750 and it packs quite a punch for a point and shoot. Comparing the Casio and Canon XT is like comparing apples and oranges, but what would you suggest?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8285
Nikon D50

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Not to harrass you, but could you give me some reasons why to choose a D50 vs an XT? Obviously, this is a fairly debated topic but wondering what is your position? I heard that the lens kit on the D50 has always been better, but the XT has more features and nice menus (menu thing is probably a preference and opinionated).

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 342
I will! Because Berny shoots Nikon.

Seriously, IMHO either the D50 or XT would be an equally good choice for a general entry-level DSLR. You should head down to a local store & get one of each in your hands to see which works better for you; the control & menu layout is different & one suits some people better while for others it's the other way around.

I assume you don't have any investment in lenses for either system, so you might want to review your shooting habits & see which manufacturer has a better lens selection for what you do--though it's fairly close there as well.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8286
No harassment taken:-)
But I think Chris summed it up nicely.
Get out there and get your hands on either one and you will be happy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
haha, thanks guys... yeah, no investment in lens, so I am really up for either system. I am more familiar with Canon because I've been able to play with my friends old canon film slr. One last question... with the selections of lens available from each system, if you were going to be taking both shots of models (architectural models, I am an arch student) and photos of buildings and such (for when I go on tours)... which system would you prefer? wish the xt felt as solid as the d50, haha. thanks again guys, I really appreciate both your input :-)

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 343
I'm not sure what Nikon has to offer, and have no personal experience with the lenses, but I know that Canon has several tilt-shift lenses that have excellent reputations & are made for that purpose.

See, now you have something to research--does Nikon or Canon have a more capable lens offering for architectural shots. I know Canon has a strong lineup. Here is their official page pointing to the three: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid= 156
The 24mm is designated an "L" lens which means the optics and build quality are top-notch.

Doing some quick Googling, all I can find for Nikon is an 85mm. It looks like Canon has a decided edge here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us