New digital SLR

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2517
Hi all.
I have a Canon Eon7 35mm slr which would be better enjoyed with a digital body, have bag and 2 lenses, one the canon wide and a sigma telephoto.

The nearest price I found(checking Canon first) was like a grand(canadian).
Rebel XR, with a B&W studio built in.
I like that, but I want to do better in price.
I can pay it, but I would rather pay less, without giving up quality, being a new-ish shopper, I look forward to some input.

Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7993
Well hello there Nuck.

Does that digital Rebel include a lens?

Are you stuck with Canon as a choice? There is nothing wrong with the Canon Rebel, but it is quite an older model and I believe it will soon be replaced. It is a great camera, it's just that it has been overshadowed by Nikon's D70 and D50.

If you want to be able to use your older Canon lenses you should be able to get the Digital Rebel as a "body Only" unit. It should be much lesser in price.

The B&W factor is not a real treat. You can do that with any photo editing software and I believe is not an essential feature of the camera.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 323
You mean Rebel XT? A body only in black is $746 at B&H, and there is a $100(US) rebate on those right now. So, yes you can do better than $1k. It will work with your current lenses. You can also look at Adorama & KEH, though all will end up going through customs, which I understand can be a huge PITA. In any case, that gives you a good idea of whot it ought to cost from a reputable seller.

The B&W is a nothing feature. I never use B&W in my 20D--I always do the conversion on the PC & get better results.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8020
Of course, if you can swing it, you should check out the Canon 20D. Perhaps the Canon 5D...very niiice!

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 326
Yeah, but even with the coupon search at B&H the 20D is still right around $1k US. A far better camera, but not sure if I should suggest it considering the implied budget. Of course, doing digging may very well turn up a used one with many people moving to the 5D or 30D. You could always watch the used sections at B&H, Adorama, and expecially KEH.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us