D70 with 70-300 ED lens

Username: Codewize

Post Number: 1
Hi all. I've been shooting with the D70 and the kit 18-70 ED lens for a year or so now. Love everything about the camera.

Recently got the Nikkor 70-300 ED lens. I find that some times while shooting at near full zoom there is a strange fuzziness on the subjects. It's difficult to describe but all I can relate it to is if I was shaking while taking the shot. It's like a digital blur.

Anyone know why or is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 320
So you are seeing camera shake at 300mm? What's your shutter speed? The general rule of thumb is to avoid camera shake blurring, you need a shutter speed of 1/focal length, so with a Nikon 1.5x crop factor, you should be at about 1/500 or faster. Being that it's f5.6 wide open, I'll bet it's hard to get that fast of a shutter (this is why many of us cough up the big bucks for faster lenses). A good tripod would help a lot.

Post Number: 2
Well in 'normal' lighting I could do that but I thin the camera normally chooses like 1/125 or 1/250 for the shutter.

Look at the attached photo. Thats 1/350 and 5.6 camera on a stable surface.Upload

Post Number: 3
Well in 'normal' lighting I could do that but I think the camera normally chooses like 1/125 or 1/250 for the shutter.

Look at the attached photo. Thats 1/350 and 5.6 camera on a stable surface.

Upload

Post Number: 4
Sorry for the double posts. There were some typos and format problems in the first one. Can we delete posts?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7992
Don't worry about the double posts. It happens.
Did you set the shutter speed on manual?

That speed is still too slow for that lens. You are also experiencing the limitations of that lens. At 5.6 that lens will not be very sharp as well. From my experience the lens is at its sharpest when from f/8 to f/11. Other focal lengths are very soft.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 322
^^^ What he said. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8021
Experiment Aaron, that lens has very nice reach, but be aware of the limits. You can get plenty of good photos with that lens, look for nice even and bright lighting. You could also experiment the way it captures at high ISO within the apertures I mentioned.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us