Need DSLR advice

Username: Seeemeeego

New Orleans, LA

Post Number: 1
Experts, I need your help. I am a high school journalism teacher looking to buy a digital for shooting pix for the school yearbook - from portrait type shots of award winners to sporting events to candids on the playground or in the basketball gym.

I have several point & shoot digitals, but I need distance and better flash options. I was a pretty good amateur in the old days with my film SLRs so I feel I need the features of those cameras with the "no film" and editing capabilities of a digital, hence my thoughts of a DSLR.

I have looked at the Nikon D70 - would either of those be good for my situation? What would some of you recommend? And what lens or lenses?

Stumbled upon this forum looking for comparisons of D70 vs D50, so thanks in advance for letting me butt in!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7379
Either camera will work for your situation.

New Orleans, LA

Post Number: 2
Can you give me a suggestion for a lens that would cover my needs? What about the Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens? I have access to one of these.

Also, got any ideas on an inexpensive bounce flash that would work with this setup?

Thanks for your input and advice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7383
The 18-55 is a great lens but will be lacking for the type of photographs you intend on shooting. Take a look at the Nikon 18-200 VR, it is consumer grade but will be very versatile in the areas you want.

Flash work is very difficult in sporting events and calls for a better and faster and oh so very expensive lens, but I suggest that you spend the money on the Nikon SB-800 Speedlight when the need for a flash arises. Unfortunately it does not come cheap.

New Orleans, LA

Post Number: 3
Ouch! The Nikon 18-200 VR is a thousand dollar lens if I'm looking at the right one. No can do in this situation. Got to find something cheaper or something used.

New Orleans, LA

Post Number: 4
Or what about this combination - 28-80mm and/or 70-300mm? Just reading the description of these, mind you since I am no expert.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7384
Terry Bee, the 18-200 VR lens is listing at $799.
http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm

The 28-80 will work, but with limitations, special with indoor sports, you have to be more creative as the reach is not that great. The 70-300 is great lens but works better outside in bright light.

New Orleans, LA

Post Number: 5
Thanks Berny. You've been a tremendous help, and I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Now I've got to get it, and practice using it. I guess if I'm a failure, I can always sell it on ebay - LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7388
Failure???? I beg to differ. It is a learning experience and you get better only after you've studied your work.:-) You don't fail, you just move into a different hobby...and if that happens, I'll buy your equipment.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 296
You've been expecting this, but don't forget about the Canon Rebel XT. Or even take a look at some of the used bodies out there--this will free up some budget for lenses. Remember that the lenses are the most important part of the equation.

Some other possibilities are Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina lenses. Some of their offerings are considered to be 90% of the Nikon/Canon quiality for 50% of the price. I know the Sigma 70-200/2.8 is a popular alternative to the fantastic Canon 70-200 lenses--and it probably comes in Nikon mount as well.

Take a look at KEH.com for a good source of used equipment. B&H and Adorama also have used, just not as much. I'd be more comfortable going there than ebay.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7397
Hello Chris...what took you so long?:-)

New Orleans, LA

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the suggestion of used and giving me a couple of sources. Fifteen years ago when I was using a 35mm SLR, we used to hunt for used lenses and flashes at pawn shops, especially in cities that had military bases. Didn't know where to start for such in digital format.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7399
Same places. Except for the bodies...they are much harder to find used, because it is fairly new, and the older digital SLRs are just way too outdated and rendered obsolete under todays technology.

Try photogon.com or ebay. Just make sure that you know the market value of the lenses that you are trying to buy used. Most Nikon and Canon lenses hold a lot of their value in the used market, so it is not uncommon to pay just a few dollars less for used lenses as opposed to getting a brand new one.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 300

quote:

Hello Chris...what took you so long?:-)

Hey, I was away from the computer all weekend. Had a last-minute thrash all day Saturday to get the hot rod ready for the show Sunday. Made it, but the car let us know what it though of the short drive after (oil trail :-( ). For a couple hours of amusement: http://mysite.verizon.net/project.frankenpinto

Username: Ivzhao

Post Number: 4
i made a yearbook almost entirely on myself. and i can tell you that 18-70 kit lens come with the D70/D70s will be perfect for yearbook photography, and it's fairly cheap too. 18-55 is not bad too but it might be a little bit too short on the tele end, considering you need to shoot soccer/bball games for the yearbook. but if that's not the problem, then i recommend D50 + 18-55 because it's abit cheaper and smaller to handle. any dslr is far more enough for yearbook making. you are looking at 300dpi, 1600*1200 size to have a good print out look, and almost any nowadays digital camera can do that.

New Orleans, LA

Post Number: 9
Thanks Ivan. I did buy a D50 that came bundled with the 18-55 which looks to be just a general purpose lens. Got it new on ebay for the same price as just a used body at KEH so I am satisfied with the price. I then bought a used 70-300 Sigma, ebay again. Haven't received it yet, but I hope it is in as good a condition as represented.

I will spend my summer break learning to use it. I appreciate everyone's input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us