Canon SD700 vs Sony DSC-T30 vs Olympus Stylus 720sw

Bronze Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 15
I know these are the brand new cameras, Sony will be available in may (www.sony.com/T30). Any comments? I am thinking probably about Canon but Sony is close. Olympus - because it is waterproof up to 3m and I would not need expensive marine pack. But would I sacrifice a lot on overall quality.
Any advice helpfull
Thanks
Pablo

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7357
How do you know that you will sacrifice a lot in overall quality?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
well comparing olympus with canon and sony in my opinion sd700 is the best camera, sony is a bit slimer faster, better batery, olympus is water and shock proof but does not have optical stabilisation like the others, canon also have 4x zoom and is ISO 800. But for both canon and sony I will need marine pack.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7360
Are you using it for underwater photography?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Well we(my family) go south once a year and I scuba dive but this is not a priority, it is nice to have. The Olympus is ok for pool, beech, maybe lite snorkling but no need for a case. That is the big plus. Canon/Sony probably better cameras but have to buy $300 CAN case, but I can scuba with it. Now I think I am leaning towards canon, sony has this memory stick that I would have to buy a separate card reader for and for canon I just plug in into my laptop.
The only thing I was afraid with Olympus was that sony and Canon woud be better quality cameras and I would regret it. Hard decision.
Pablo

Gold Member

Post Number: 7394
Sony is not a better quality camera than Olympus or Canon.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 297
Agreed. I'm not thrilled with Sony's offerings. I'd narrow it down to the Oly & Canon.

Personally, I like the lens on the Canon better & that Oly case looks a little funky to hold. I thinks the Canon has a strong edge with the lens specs: wider range, faster aperture, and IS which should be good for another stop in speed. The Olympus has the waterproof ability. Note, I don't even consider MP count--that's essentially irrelevant between them (6 vs 7.1 is nothing, kind of like a 2.0GHZ processor vs 2.2--you won't notice it).

So, if it were me, it boils down to do I really want the waterproof or not?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
So if I would spend that extra $$ in the future for marine pack(it goes to 40 meters) if I need one, would you say Canon SD700 hands down?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7413
The SD700 would be my choice, without question.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 301
Yup. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
thank you, I guess just have to wait for SD700 to show up in the stores.
Pablo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us