Thinking of buying a Nikon D50?

Username: Neddy_seagoon

Port Darlington, ON Canada

Post Number: 1
I've just clicked off shot number 22,000 on my D50. Here's what I like and don't like.

Good stuff:

1. Instant shooting -- no delay. Slight playback lag with slower cards but we're talking half a second.

2. Good hand fit. I carry it for hours with no fatigue. Consider this factor before you buy a 350D.

3. Superb high ISO performance. A low-light shooter's dream.

4. Fast and accurate low-light autofocus with 18-70 kit lens and 70-200 2.8.

5. 18-70 kit lens is very good value for the money although a bit loosely built.

6. Good build quality. Nothing has fallen off.

7. Nice BIG menu text for dim eyes.

8. Great pics!

Not so good stuff:

1. No illuminated top readout. I never thought I'd miss it but I really do.

2. No rear LCD cover. Not the right place to cut costs.

3. Front rubber grip has worn through (fingernails) and rear pad is coming loose. Not a big deal but still a deal.

4. No Nikon battery grip (third party only).

Verdict:

Outstanding machine for the money (currently under $CDN700 body only). Not industrially built but that shouldn't matter unless you're going to Iraq. I'll probably hit 50,000 shots before the warranty is up so we'll see if it lasts.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7187
Nice...and to the point.

Bronze Member
Username: Seeemeeego

New Orleans, LA

Post Number: 11
James, I just purchased a D50 before reading your post. Looks like I made a good choice. A couple of questions. Regarding no rear LCD cover, I see that there is a snap-on cover being sold for this camera. The description says it also acts as a sun shield for better viewing. Sounds like this would be a worthy purchase - would you agree?

Thrilled to read this is "a low-light shooter's dream" since that's one of my constant situations. Are you using an auxillary flash or does the built in flash do a fairly good job? Could you elaborate on this for me? Thanks.

Post Number: 5
Terry, as a lifelong cheapskate, I made my own LCD protector from a rectangle of clear acetate, the kind used in retail packaging. I taped it on with two pieces of fiber packing tape. It looks silly but works great and costs next to nothing. As for sun shade, I use my hand ;-)

Concerning flash, the pop-up is OK but at wide angle the lens hood of the 18-70 shows in the picture (18-55 may not).

Also, in situations where flash is the main light, you'll get far more professional results if you never shoot flash straight on the subject but always bounce it off something. Of course, this means aux flash. I use the SB-600 with a Sto-Fen diffuser and it works great.

Of course, by low-light shooter's dream, I mean that the noise levels are so low at ISO 800 and 1600 that you may not need flash at all. Go here...

http://www.citizenseye.com/gallery.php?gid=50

...and check out the car show shots. Except for the LAV111, all the cars were shot hand-held without flash.

Hope this helps.

Username: Canis

Post Number: 7
I've just clicked shot 20,001 on my D70. They are all pictures of my fridge though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7547
This one was shot at ISO 1600...handheld. No other post processing besides resizing for the web
Upload

Bronze Member

New Orleans, LA

Post Number: 12
Impressive pic of Lee Greenwood, Berny.

"Of course, by low-light shooter's dream, I mean that the noise levels are so low at ISO 800 and 1600 that you may not need flash at all."

Oh, I've got so much to learn! I hope it's not beyond me!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7550
I took that picture Thursday of last week. He visited our troops here in Korea along with the Patriots Cheerleaders and Restless Heart.

Bronze Member

New Orleans, LA

Post Number: 13
Restless Heart - one of my 80's faves! I was a DJ at a country music radio station when they and Greenwood were at the peak of their fame. Hope they put on a good show as I've seen some of these older acts that are still trying to hang on really bomb.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7551
LOL...I was thinking of the same thing before the concert. But it was actually a good show.

Post Number: 6
Not a bad shot at all for a kit lens at 1/50 sec. But come on, Berny...only 13,000 shots on your rig...you need to get out more ;-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7564
:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us