Nikon D200 file saving problem

Username: Harryc888

TaipeiTaiwan

Post Number: 1
Dear all,
Have anyone experienced a problem that after a seemingly failed file saving, the LCD display a screw up image?
I experience once with a Sigma 50-500mm with a 2X TC attached. The image shown on LCD is screw up, it is also screw up in Picture Project. This happens I believed wasafter a low-battery warning shown up.
I recently also experience such weired image screw up with my Sigma 150 Macro when shooting at very low speed.
My own conclusions are: 1. low-battery might cause the file transfer to fail and causing the file system to corrupt, 2. my non-approved CF card (Transcend 1G 80X) might be at fault, 3. something wrong with my D200. Please advise!
-Harry

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7073
1. Low battery life can cause file transfer failures.

2. Nikon has not tested that particular CF card so there might be issues.

3. I doubt anything is wrong with your D200.

Could also be your Sigmas:-)

How often does this happen?

TaipeiTaiwan

Post Number: 2
Hi Berny,
Yes, I suspected Sigma lens as well.
Those strange things happened in succession; what I meant is when it starts to heappen, it continues to happen for the following shots. Too bad is I got into panic mode, I deleted all screw-up images, turned power off, charge up battery, and formatted the CF to make the problem go away. I should have kept those images and think of a strategy to figure out the problem. I will try to do so over this weekend and report what I found out.
Thanks Berny.
-Harry

Gold Member

Post Number: 7075
My experience with Sigmas is that they tend to build up a lot of gunk on the contacts. Try cleaning those as well. I don't know why but poor contacts mess up file transfers on my D2X and D70. That's why I stopped using Sigmas. Get a different CF card as well. Stick to Lexar or Sandisk.

TaipeiTaiwan

Post Number: 3
Hi all,
I have finally found out what's causing the display probem - it's not the battery, not the Sigma lens, (can't exclude the CF card yet) I think my D200 has a serious display problem.
I have been able to reproduce this problem twice by the following procedure:
1. Let the camera rest for at least over night - this problem only happens when first time turn on the power after a long period of non-use.
2. Turn on the power. Press on the display button. I have attached a image (taken by another camera) to show you how the screw up images look like on D200's LCD screen.
3. Scroll down the images on CF, all of them are displyed screw up - but, after scrolling all of them once, the images starts to display ok again.
Very weird! I suggest everyone of you owns a D200 should try this procedure to make sure your D200 display is ok.
I am considering sending back this camera; but I worry that I won't be able to repeat this problem at shop.
- HarryUpload

Gold Member

Post Number: 7100
Seems like a card reading problem. Have you tried a new card yet?

TaipeiTaiwan

Post Number: 4
Berny,
I have tried a SanDisk CF and the problem hasn't shown up so far. It's quite likely a card reading problem. I will give it a few more days just to be sure.
-Harry

Gold Member

Post Number: 7128
Seems promising. I want to know the results.

TaipeiTaiwan

Post Number: 5
Hi all,
It has been 3 days after I started using a new SanDisk ExtremeIII CF card, and I no longer experience the display problem!
Obviously, the problem was caused by the faulty CF card. Too bad, there isn't any utility to check for it.
Now I strongly recommend everyone to stick with Nikon approved CF cards.
-Harry

Gold Member

Post Number: 7167
I'm glad it worked out for you. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us