What camera? Canon, Sony, Olympus, Kodak, Casio?

Anonymous

hello! read all your points and interested in your experts' view! I'm searching for bying a digital camera - actually i might even go tomorrow morning - and to help you advise me correct, here are my criteria: at least 5mp, compact if possible, 2.5'screen; I would also like it to have zoom at least 3x (bigger would be even better). The most important for me is the quality of pictures (colours, clarity, etc); I'm one of those people who really enjoy taking photos (especially of landscapes or portraits) and it's like a hobby to me.

I am mainly exploring CANON IXUS 750 or CANON IXUS 55 - with rivals the SONY T5 or SONY T9. Canon or Sony? If Canon, then 750 or 55? What do you think? Are Sony lenses Carl Zeis better than Canon's?

I've just heard that Canon has released new cameras IXUS 800, 65, 60 etc. What do you think of these compared to IXUS 750 or 55?

I'm also thinking of Olympus MJU600D or MJU800 (is Olympus cameras any good compared to Canon or Sony??). Also saw the Olympus SP-500UZ which is in my price range and has a 10x zoom and 6mp; unfortunately it's not very compact but do you think it's worth it?

Also thinking of KODAK V550 (i've heard that Kodak uses superb Schneider-Kreuznach lenses). How do Kodak cameras compare to Canon and Sony models i mentioned on the top? which Kodak model do you recommend?

I've also read that CASIO exilim cameras are very good (which model though??) and do their lenses compare to Canon's?

And last but not least, is it worth paying a little bit more to get 7mp instead of 5mp? (i'm inclined to bying a 7mp camera...)

Lot's of questions, huh... I'm sorry if my questions sound silly to yourselves being the experts, but your opinions would help me clear my thoughts. Based on my criteria for buying, what would you advise is best? What are the pros and cons for the cameras i mentioned above? Could you rate them?!

(costs of all mentioned cameras do not differentiate very much in my country, so this is not an issue)

Very many thanks and your prompt replies will be much appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6283
You can narrow it down to 3
Canon ixus750 - quick focus easy operation. Lousy controls. Better camera and better reputation as a camera maker than Sony. Doesn't matter if Sony has a Carl Zeiss lens. Better controls and more intuitve than Canon.

Casio Exilim EX600- very intuitve camera controls with great white balance, very improtant if you are ahobbyist with rudimentary knwoledge of exposure. Good lens, I believe made by Canon. Unsure about reputation but still one great camera. Pictures from Canon are slightly better but you will be happy as it meets llyour requirements.

Olympus is also a great camera maker. A little less control but simplification makes up for it as the features are those that you will really use. If it is too bulky and you really want a compact camera you will not like the SP-500 becaue you will find too inconvenient to put in your pocket.

Forget the Kodak...pictures are too grainy and not all as great as the any of the 3 above.

Don't worry about the megapixels.

Anonymous

Thanks Berny, this is helpful! So you think IXUS 750 over IXUS 55? How about the new models i've heard of 800, 65 or 60?

About Casio Exilim EX600 i'm not sure i can find it in my country, the ones available are EXS500, EXZ500, EXZ110 (6mp), EXZ120 (7.2 mp)and EXZ750 (7.2mp). Which one of these?

How about the other Olympus models i mentioned which are more compact than SP500?

Anonymous

Berny, can you also comment on LCD TVs? i posted a question today called "What 32'' LCD" on the forum of Plasma/LCD Flat panels. It seems to me that you are an expert on electronics, so if you could comment, it'd be greatly appreciated! cheers,

Anonymous

Berny, can you also comment on LCD TVs? i posted a question today called "What 32'' LCD" on the forum of Plasma/LCD Flat panels. It seems to me that you are an expert on electronics, so if you could comment, it'd be greatly appreciated! cheers,

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6288
You'll be happy with any model of the cameras I mentioned, including the Olympus.

As far a plat panel TVs I really can't tell you much about them. I have the Sharp Aquos and a 50" Pioneer Elite and I think they are really good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us