Looking for a new camera

Username: Robb

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I am looking for a better camera then I have now. Its the minolta Z1.
For my feeling it is not sharp in landscape pictures. However it is good for Macro pictures.

I am not making a lot of pictures, I qualify myself as an starting amatur.
My history on camera's:
Olympus 10
Canon A1 which I always found to make the best and sharpest pictures I allways had.
I crashed it by stupidity and was able to exchange it for an Minolta Dynax 7.
However the feeling I allways had was, good camera, bloodi fast, but the pictures are not as sharp as from the Canon A1.
2 years ago I decided to go on digital. I did choose, mainly because of tests the Minolta Z1.

I see in this Minolta the same shortcommings as in the DynaX 7. Most friends of me say, it is an idea, nothing wrong.

I am focussing on a new 6-8mp camera.
Canon 350D, Nikon D70, Olympus 300E or another Minolta, as I might be able to use the 2 lenses.
So far I have come and read and seen that I would prefer the canon or the nikon.
And from what I have seen on the DPreview pictures, the Canon seems to have a bit sharper shots then the Nikon.
Yes to let you see my photoskills: http://www.its-bee.nl/photostock

Could you advice me on either of the marks?
I like todo landscapes, sky, and macro picturers.

Greetings,

Robbie

Post Number: 2
Oops,
Forgot one thing.
I like to do Plane spotting as well.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4786
First let us forget about DPreviews. Then let us forget about megapixels. There are things that you can do to make one camera come out better or worse than the other. So this debate of Canon vs Nikon is useless.

Your skill as a photographer does not have anything to do with your camera. Your camera is a tool and from the looks of it, you already know how to use the tools. Your lenses take the bulk in determining how sharp your pictures are going to come out.

If you already have Minolta equipment, there is nothing wrong with sticking with Konica Minolta, all you need to do is make sure that the older lenses fit the new DSLR that Minolta is offering. You will be happy with any camera from Minolta, Nikon or Canon. Unless you are hung up on brands, then get the opinions of owners of these cameras and do not ask why it is better than the other, because it is subjective.

I would recommend the Nikon D50 or D70 or Canon 5D or 20D.
Chris would probably do the same. (Sorry if I spoke for you,Chris:-))
In the end the one with the better command of composition, exposure and a critical eye for seeing things others would overlook, will come out with better pictures, regardless of camera.

So, where does this lead you? Get the camera that you are comfortable with using, and that which you can afford to enable you to take pictures now instead of later. Your experience with the Minolta Dynax (nice camera, by the way) and Canon A1 (too bad you dropped it), I would steer you towards the Minolta, you already have lenses so no need to spend extra, and the Canon 20D...not the Rebel/350D. If you want something simple,fast and affordable, the Nikon D50.

Post Number: 3
To be precise my present Minolta analoge cam is:
Dynax 7xi.
The lenses that I bought with it are:
A Minolta 28-105mm (3.5-4.5) Zoom xi
A Sigma 70-300mm (4-5.6) DL Macro

I have checked some pictures from landscapes taken with both lenses and about the same 100mm distance is that the Minolta one looks much sharper, ok, that is what I am remembering about unsharp pictures.

I am not sure if I can use these lenses with the system, I am sure I am going to replace the Sigma with something better. The camerashop then said, I would not see the difference with a minolta lense, and sigma was the best of the non-original. I am not that sure anymore about it.

Does anyone know, if I can use the original minolta lense?
I think that 28-105mm will be equal to 38-135mm when attached to a digital camera?
Not really optimal then.
I would like to go with a 2 lense set.
one wide-standard second standard to tele lens.
Mostly 210mm is sufficient. And something for macro pictures. 100mm I gues is the more optimum.

Greetings and thanks for your answer,

RobB

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 268
In general, I agree with Berny. There is good reason that Canon and Nikon have the majority of the market ; I have no particular blind preference for any of them (witness my collection of SLRs: Oly OM2, Minolta 7000i, Canon 20D, and the Nikon 995 as a starting point for digital, brand loyalty? who, me?). The best lenses you can get are either Canon or Nikkor no question. The many Canon lenses I've had the opportunity to use have been uniformly fantastic (even the crummy kit lens holds its own in good conditions).

But, seeing that you already have lenses that may work with the Dymax, I would look real hard at that camera first. Perhaps take your lenses into a local shop & try them out on a body to see if they work.

I did a bit of digging & it appears the Dynax/Maxxum 7xi uses the Minolta A-bayonet mount, so I am pretty sure your lenses will work as this is what their site lists the two current digital bodies as using.

The 3rd party lenses are spotty. From my reseach it seems Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron are the best of the bunch. Each has some good lenses rivaling the OEMs, while many are junk. Don't even bother with Vivitar or the other off-brand stuff you see on ebay, it's all garbage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4855
Rob,
Hold every thing! You may want to reconsider sticking with Minolta. Minolta will be taken over by Sony

http://konicaminolta.com/releases/2006/0119_02_01.html

Get a Canon or Nikon instead.

It is still a while before I can recommend a camera by Sony even though Minolta is great camera maker.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 276
Beat me to it. This is not good news, which of course means it swept through the online photo community VERY fast. :-(

...so anyone interested in a Maxxum 7000i?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4858
I'll hang on to that one. It is now a collector's item:-)

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the tips guys.

Might switch to uhm.. yeah.. Pentax?

Ciao,

Roberto

Gold Member

Post Number: 4910
Sure, why not?!
Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »