Best canon compact camera

marget
Unregistered guest
hi,
I want to know which is best deal of canon compact camera? I am a beginner and first timer in buying a digital camera. Resolution above 4 is ok by me.
the only criterias are red eye reduction, easy to use, good battery life,digital zoom and excellent photo quality which can be printed in 8 by 10 paper size.
please help me in choosing the right camera. I saw couple of them. Canon 400, 450,750. well am really a blank case in this.
can anyone help me in this.
regards

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4526
Canon SD 450. Good battery but not at all that great, but it is a good compromise with all the features you want and takes great quality pictures. The 750 is nice but the price jump I feel is not justified over the 450. The 8 x 10 print is good on both the 450 and 750 a little better on the 750 but again not justified over the price jump.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 253
For point & shoot battery life will be ok at best. Digital zoom is worse than worthless IMHO, your picture is guaranteed to be very soft. I have it locked out on my P&S. I would assume all have red eye now.

Of those three, I agree with Berny, the 450 looks like the best set of features. All of them are more than good enough for 8x10 prints (my 3.2MP is good enough & I've done 8x42 panos off it).

marget
Unregistered guest
what at the battery life of sd450? some reviews said its not good? do i have to buy another battery or is it rechargeble?
Berney, which is better camera than 450. i may have missed few names in the list?

chris, what is IMHO? do u mean that the pics wont be great?? then whats the point buying?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4532
Unfortunately the battery life of the SD 450 is actually average, which means the batteries do not last too long, they die very quickly specially if you are using the lcd monitor. Carry a spare during your trips and have a charger handy. And yes they are rechargeable.

Your list is fine, Canon is an excellent camera. Look for a longer list and your confusion will grow in direct proportion to the amount of choices available. Stick to Canon and you'll be fine.

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion. He is pointing out the useless feature called "Digital Zoom" and a impressive marketing tool but really worthless in the real world. Do not get fooled by this feature because you will not use it. It is usually combined with something like " 3X optical zoom and 200x Digital zoom" on the packaging.

What he is trying to tell you is do not ever use the digital zoom feature or your pictures will be very pixelated or "blocky".

Let us take for example a very small picture on your computer. You use a program called "Imaging for Windows" or something of the same sort. The picture is very small on your screen and you want to make it bigger, so you increase the size to let us say 400%. The picture is bigger alright...but is it clear? Do you notice those tiny little squares that make up the picture? All of a sudden it's there whereas before you did not notice it. That is digital zoom.

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
I actually think of IMHO as In My Humble Opinion.

Yes, digital zoom is a worthless feature. The camera is cropping the image at maximum optical zoom, then interpolating up to the same pixel resolution. The end effect is a soft image that is obviously digital zoom. You are better off stopping at the max optical zoom, then doing the crop and interpolation in the PC, the results are invariably better. Basically what I'm getting at is don't use that feature in the buying decision; it really doesn't matter which model hacks up the image more that way, because you don't really want to use it. What I would look at more is the actual optical lens capabilities. In your list I think the 450 is the best lens. They all have about the same range (though the 750 has a shorter long end?); but the 450 has a much better aperture range. In P&S, especially with the limitations on the other parameters (shutter to 1/1500 & ISO only to 400), the faster lens is a very good thing. It gives you some more performance at lower light. Keep in mind, "low light" in photography comes much, much sooner than you would think.

The other marketing ploy is the optical zoom. It's just telling you the range available, which while a useful thing to know (a 5x has a wider overall range form the wide end to the long end than a 3x), I also want to know what the actual end points are. For example the 450 is a true 5.8-17.4mm or 35mm equivalent of 35-105mm. That's a pretty good, usable range for the type of shots the camera is meant for. The aperture of f2.8-f4.9 is excellent. In comparison the 750 is a 28-100mm with an aperture of f2.8-f5.3. IMHO that is not as good of a lens as the 450 has.

I guess I wasn't too clear on my comments about batteries either. My bad. I don't think the 450 will be any better or worse than other P&S cameras, They all tend to use up their batteries quickly. This is because of the heavy dependance on the LCD display; it is always powered up as is the imaging sensor. Both of those components are the biggest power users in the camera. Just get a second battery to have as a backup--you will need it sooner or later. Pretty much all decent digital cameras use rechargable batteries these days.

marget
Unregistered guest
ok.. got the point. I looked for copule of other options as I want a good battery life also along with others. how about powershot s60 or A400 compared to ixus450? I dont want very bulky camera. R they any better?

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
Check dpreview.com & steves-digicams.com for some very thorough reviews of the current crop of cameras. I guess for battery life you'll have to define what "good" is--to me with the DSLR 1500-2000 shots per battery (which it has two in it) is good. ;)

Canon SD450 (I'm guessing this is the one you mean)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd450.asp
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sd450.html

A400
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_a400.asp
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a400.html

S60
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s60.asp
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s60.html

The basic specs look better as the price increases from the S60 to A400 to SD450.

Abhi
Unregistered guest
hi, I too have similar question. I am also a beginer and like marget i am also confused while checking on reviews.
which is a better choice? ixus i zoom or 450? any pros and cons?
waiting for genuine reply

Gold Member

Post Number: 4643
They are both good cameras and you should be happy with either choice. Just get the one you like most. Don't worry too much about reviews.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4644
I'm wondering if that is in the realm of a genuine reply:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us