Help picking out new camera

Bronze Member
Username: Larrybob33

Post Number: 12
my wife is wanting a compact digital camera. she has an old Canon Elph (non-digital) that she would like to replace with digital. i've been doing a small amount of research. she mostly uses her stuff for scrapbooking (very rarely blows something up to greater than 4 x 6). in a small amount of research i'm considering these four models:

casio exilim ex-z57
canon powershot sd450
casio exilim ex-z750
canon powershot sd550

is the difference between 5.0 and 7.0 megapixels worth the cost? any help with the different models/preferences? are there other models/cameras that i should be considering? thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4244
Those are excellent choices and would pick out any one on the list.

A 2 megapixel difference is not worth the cost, and not noticeable specially on a 4x6 print.

I like the Casio because of its very intuitive controls and very flexible program. A very surprisingly good camera.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 227
As Berny said, the MP size is irrelevant at those print sizes, what is more important is the other features that she may want (how well does it handle lower light? etc.) and how intuitive the controls are.

An example of what you can do with "lower" MP cameras: I have made panoramas from my 3.3MP Nikon 995 & printed at 8" x 42" that look spectacular.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
thanks. the photos are mostly of our children. she will print an 8x10 (rarely an 11x14) for walls in our home a few times a year. is there a noticeable difference in megapixels at that size?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
also, any thoughts on the fujifilm finepix f10 in comparison to these other options?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4250
Haven't used that particular camera. Just the Casio and the Canon, so i can't make a fair recommendation.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 230
At those print sizes, no the 5 vs 7 MP still makes no difference. Remember, my little 3.3 is supposed to be good uo to 8x10, so 11x14 is well within reason for a 5 or 7MP. I think these days you have to look for the ultra-cheapie cameras for something that will struggle with typical print sizes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
thanks a ton for your help. its much appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us