I need help with purchasing a new digital camera?

Username: Tdogroeder

Post Number: 1
I really dont know much about digital cameras. I currently have a CRAPPY HP photosmart 435. My choices I have come up with are:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Canon 20D
Sony DSC-F828
Nikon D70
What are the real differences in these, and what makes one better than the other? I will appreciate everyones honest help and opinions.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 201
The Sony is still basically a P&S camera, all the rest are true DSLRs. I suspect the Sony will still have many of the P&S weaknesses (noise at high ISO, slow response times, quick battery drain). The Rebel XT & D70 are direct competitors, while the 20D is a step up from them in both price & function.

The Sony is a fixed-lens camera, so you are stuck with that lens forever. I do like that if supports CF media & doesn't lock you into Sony's proprietary media. Still, given the price tag I'd personally prefer the D70 or Rebel.

On the D70 vs Rebel XT, it's really down to which contols you prefer & the specific features that are most important to you. They are both capable cameras.

The 20D is a different class from the rest; it has more features and settings. This is the one I went with in large part due to it's low-light capability as super-fast response times; but that's my specific requirements.

Check out the reviews on Steve's Digicams & DPR

Bronze Member
Username: Bogner

Post Number: 32
Although I do not have nearly the experience Chris does, I was had the same dilemma about a month ago between the D70S and the 20D. I went with the Nikon, and of course like Chris, I too now have a biased opinion. I absolutely love the Nikon, and it was very easy to learn the basics, as I am sure the Canon is too. I love the Nikon and I am now experiencing the dangers of getting into such a fun, and often times expensive new hobby. Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Impkillin

Post Number: 22
As you can see people have very different opinions :-) Definitely go with the canon or nikon. You will most definitely have alot to learn though, if you dont have any experience with slrs. If your not trying to make it a hobby, though, and just want something to capture your memories, go with the best point and shoot digital camera you can find. Just research it before you buy anything. If you do have some experience with slr's and have a specific brand you always use, then maybe stay with that brand as some of your lenses may be transferrable. It seems though like you just want a point and shoot camera(which both the nikon and canon can do) but your going to be spending alot of extra money for the other features you will not be using. Do research!
P.S. look through some of the other subjects here also, they can be quite informative. Update if you have any questions, or make a decision. These guys always have alot of advice to give... plus they arent being paid on commission to tell you what you want to hear ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks for the advise Jason. I do want a camera that has fast shutter speed so I don't loose the moment. But you are right I am more into a point and shoot camera. What would be a quality one with fast shutter speed?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3993
Choose between Canon 20D or Nikon D70S. Remove all the others from your list. But if you want a point and shoot, why did you include them in your choices?

For point and shoot look at the Casio Exilim series.

What is your budget anyway?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I never started out saying I wanted a point and shoot camera, thats what Jason thought my intereset were. I want a good camera with fast shutter speed that takes great pictures. So the ones I listed I thought were really good cameras. But I will check out the Casio Exilim series.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3996
What is your budget?
What is your photographic experience?

Important things when soliciting recommendations.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Under $1000, My photographic experience is not much. I have been using an HP photosmart 435 and I know it is a carppy one. So I am wanting to get a very nice camera with fast shutter speed that takes good pictures with a descent veiw screen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Are there significant amounts of differences in shutter speeds between different cameras? Tdog(incase you do not know) How a camera(well a film camera) basically works is with two things... an aperture and a hutter. The aperture is how big the hole that allows light in is, and the shutter is whatever block the light from coming in... i.e. the shutter speed is how long the shutter will move to allow light in. Now not claiming to be any kind of an expert, because i am not :-) I'd say that shutterspeed isn't all your going to be interested in... but if your saying 1g is your max, than maybe go for a dslr. Who knows if your interests will be extended by owning one of these? Decide what it is you want... just a basic point and shoot, or a digital slr. Each of which You can get great advice on from these guys. Check out the exelim series like berny said, and maybe a basic d50 kit? What do you guys think? I'm not really basing my advice to you on any photographic knowledge, all i know that research is key before buying anything, as some of my experiences have turned out ; )

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I'm not an expert photo taker, so I'm just looking for a camera that takes quality pics quick so I don't loose certain moments. I don't even what the difference between a point & shoot and a dslr camera is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
What would be the benefits of having a SLR Vs. point & shoot, other than features and upgrading lenses?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
What about these for point & shoot?

Casio EX-P505
Casio EX-P700 this one looks like you can add lenses, is that correct?

Bronze Member
Username: Bogner

Post Number: 33
After switiching from using Point and Shoot to SLR, you can defintely tell the difference.

I went from my first digital Canon A40 to the Canon A95 to the NIkon D70S and I cannot imagine going back now.

There are so many more options on an SLR. IMHO, SLR is much easier to capture what you see, where as the P and S had a mind of its own sometimes.

Remember not to get caught up with the megapixels either. My Nikon is only 6.1, and you can get P and S's with 8, so don't base it solely on MP's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
Biased? Me? Yes, I love my Canon, but Nikon makes excellent cameras as well--it took a long hard think to choose between the D100 & 20D. I was already in the Nikon camp somewhat with a 995 P&S, and a D100 already in the family.

At a budget of $1k, for a DSLR your choices are the D70 or D50 on the Nikon side and the Rebel on the Canon side (the 20D is $1400 or so). While those will typically come with a "kit" lens, you also have additional lenses to inest in which can quickly blow the $1k budget. SLRs are expensive. Another option is buying used; while the older cameras don't have all the nifty features of the current, they still will take pictures just as good as they did new.

Checking specs, the Rebel and D50 goes from 30sec to 1/4000, the D70 30sec to 1/8000. You normally will fall somewhere in between so it shouldn't make much of a difference. They all have ISO up to 1600--this is a third variable that digital makes easy to deal with.

All cameras work on the same principle, how much light do you allow to strike the recording surface, be it plastic film, glass emulsion, asphalt (know your photography history? :-) ) or a solid-state chip. The way we control that is how big of a hole allows light in (aperture) and how long do we leave it open (shutter speed). It doesn't matter whether it's a P&S or a SLR. In digital the SLRs resemble film cameras more closely retaining mechanical shutters as well as the mechanical blade aperture.

The advantages of DSLRs over P&S is in control. They typically have more advnaced features allowing the photographer to make all decisions over the exposure and give more options in making that exposure. Mechanical advantages are that the sensor is only used when actually taking a picture, keeping it cooler (lower noise, especially at higher ISO or longer exposures), and lengthening battery life; and of course the option of changing lenses optimized for your current needs. The tradeoff is you do need to know more about what you are doing & some settings (saving RAW) require some computer time to process the image yourself, and cost.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
It sounds like the Nikkon D70 is the best way to go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Very good camera... I just bought one, and its on the way. Canons are also good chough cough but im just saying that because chris is here cough cough
; )
Read the manual and read some basic photography tutorials, and you will not believe how much control you have compared to a regular point and shoot, while still having point and shoot capabilities if your just trying to take photos to send grandma via email. your going to be happy with any of the digital slr's mentioned above... i have a feeling. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I'm not so sure I want to spend the amount of money for the Nikkon D70, or SLR cameras. so I think I might want to go with point & shoot. I was thinking of the Casio EX-P700. What do you think of this one, and what would be an excellant picture taking point & shoot high end camera?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4001
The Casio will work fine for your needs. An excellent little camera.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205

quote:

Very good camera... I just bought one, and its on the way. Canons are also good chough cough but im just saying that because chris is here cough cough

I have no personal investment in one over the other--I happen to own cameras from both manufacturers. ;) Like I said, it was a really tough decision between them, it just happens that Canon's model matches my needs better right now. I was lusting after the D1X & trying to raise the money for that before the 20D hit the market. At the bottom end of the DSLR market, there really isn't much between them; it boils down to which one's ergonomics fits you better. I don't get into the Nikon vs Canon or RAW vs JPEG holy wars.

I've heard nothing but good about that Casio. It's a good start for digital photography. Once you outgrow it, you can step up to the SLR world.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4009
jason,
there is really no need to turn this into a Canon versus Nikon debacle.

Each photographer has their own preferences and let us leave it at that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
IS there a better point & shoot camera than the Casio EX-P700?
I do like the feature of adding a lens to it. Is the EX-P700 way of adding another lens very good?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4012
if youe really want to add lenses to a point and shoot, what 's the point of having a point and shoot? If you are planning on doing anything like that just get a digital SLR.

You will spend a lot of money on adapter lenses that will be obsolete and unusable once you decide to upgrade your camera(believe it will happen). Adapter lenses for point and shoot cameras are not that great. Too much chromatic aberrations, it was just not intended for that purpose.

But, if that is what you want, then go for it. Just don't expect better pictures than your hp camera.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
In the Casio EX-P700, is the teleconverter lens (TC-DC-58) help with getting a better close up shot, or is it kind of a gimic? Don't know anything about that so if you guys could help me out and give me some info and or a website to check it out that would be very much appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4013
yes that is the purpose of the teleconverter, and all of those lenses for the point and shoots are just made for that purpose, there are those that are for macros as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Do they take good pics with the teleconverter lens, and what is macros?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
What is a great P&S camera with a lot of zoom and fast shutter speed?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Basically what are the top point & shoot cameras and why?

Bronze Member

Nikon Coolpix 4800 Vs. Casio EX-P700, which is better and why?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
No hate towards canon, was just playing. Canon was my first slr, and i own a bag... proving that I was not only playing, but am a canon lover and master with vast amounts of knowledge dwarfing the average man and making short sight of godliness(still kidding incase you were unaware, hehe)

I have always been told that nikon and canon products were the superior, but that maybe majorly wrong. So i have provided you with links to reviews on both :-)

C-net review video:
Nikon: http://reviews.cnet.com/Nikon_Coolpix_4800/4660-6501_7-6302283.html
Casio: http://reviews.cnet.com/Casio_Exilim_EX_P700/4660-10619_7-6246592.html

And here is PC Worlds top ten list of digital cameras:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120350,00.asp

Be warned that am I am wholly unsure of the validity of these reviewers, but since I am familiar with both I would guess that they are good sources? Just some info i found for you quickly through google.
Happy hunting

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Jason, Berny suggested the Casio Exilim series, do you not think this one would be better the the than the Nikon?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Jason, Berny suggested the Casio Exilim series, do you not think this one would be better the the than the Nikon Coolpix 5600?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
I dont really have much of a clue. Berny would know more than I, but if you would like validation to what berny has suggested find some more forums. So far Both Berny and chris have given excellent, and most iportantly unbiased information. Neither of them are working for a commision and they seem to be very well informed, so i am sure you can take whatever either of them says to the bank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Jason, I noticed from your review links your game me, that PC World are always changing there top ten. So I not sure as to what would be the best P & S cameras out there.

Bronze Member

Not sure. Also would like to mention that if you buy online check out the sellers ratings on resellerratings.com . Chris gave me this link and it was invaluable. I will now always be checking a sellers ratings here before buying anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4016
TDog,
You are beginning to confuse me. I say that you wanted a point and shoot because you do not want the expense associated with digital SLRs. Then you state that you want to add lenses to the point and shoot. If you are planning on doing that, just get a DSLR, you'll be better off. You'll even learn a great deal about photography while you are at it. The purpose of a point and shoot is portability and having the camera have total control, it is small enough to put in your pocket and provides worry free shooting. By incorporating add-on lenses you will add to the over all expense of the point and shoot and lose the portability factor. Do you really want to lug around those add-ons on a little camera? If you do, then by all means go for it.

Now as far as which ones are better, I have only tried a few point and shoot cameras like the Casio Exilim 750, Canon sd400, the Nikon 4300 and the Nikon 8800. All excellent little camera with the Casio being the smallest and the one I liked best.

Go to this site and read on

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

As far as to the why's...I liked it because it has a great battery life, turns-on instantly when you need it and the shutter lag is tolerable. I hated the Nikon 4300 although it takies great pictures, it takes a few seconds to power on and that dang shutter lag is just horrible. Shutter lag is the moment it takes when you press the button before the camera actually takes the picture. They all have great shutter speeds but the camera response time is important.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
It must be confusing talking to me because I keep going back and forth with a top of the line P & S and Nikon D70. I'm still not 100% on what type I am going with yet, being I am an amature and not sure if I want to spend a lot of money on photography since I dont use cameras a lot, but do want quality pics. thanks for your help though and try to be paitent with my indecisivness.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
hehe. Truly a d70 isnt probably going to be too much camera for you (too much would be a d2hs or d2x each of those being a few grand and the next step up in terms of nikons). The D70 is a very very reasonably priced camera. You can start off in point and shoot and move up. Especially if you want to add lenses.

Berny or chris, I also had a question for you. I saw on that casio that it had some manual presets... i.e. aperture priority, shutter priority and manual. Are those actual control or some kind of fluke? I've never really paid any attention to point and shoot cameras and I was under the impression that only slr's had these capabilities? Whats the down low on this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Yes, that gives you control of that aspect of the exposure, just like a SLR. It's nice to have that ability & some lower-end P&S cameras don't offer that. Once you have ab asic understanding of how exposure works, you can start using that control to help create an image rather than just take a snapshot.

The difference the SLRs make is the replaceable lenses, better response time, better battery life, and more features.

Again, responsiveness is one of the biggest differences between the P&S and SLR cameras. For example, where a P&S takes a few seconds just to get going & ready to take a picture, my 20D takes 20 milliseconds from sleep to tripping the shutter; while the P&S guy is still waiting, I've taken 10 shots already.

TDog, if you are thinking of going with a DSLR and the initial cost is a bit steep, look into a used body. They can be gotten much cheaper & will make for a good start. Once you decide to upgrade, all the lenses can still be used. So for example going Nikon, find a used D100 to start with, or with Canon a 10D, or even D30 or D60--which should be available real cheap now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Chris thanks for your info, I will probably end up going with the D70. Where can I find used lenses at?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4028
TDog,
Try photogon.com if you are thinking about purchasing used lenses. But if you are getting a D70, they have a kit that comes with a lens. You will find that it is versatile enough for your intended use.

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
Photogon is a good source. B&H and Adorama have used stock. The favored online used soure is http://www.keh.com; I have not personally used them but have heard only good things from many photographers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us