Need help please!!!

Username: Acid_k09

Post Number: 1
Hello people, let me start out by saying i am not a pro photographer, but I know somewhat.
Please help me choose between D70 and Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL...
now i would like to know wich one takes better pictures in dim places. basicly take a look at this picture.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/21506992/
that pictures was made with Rebel.
tell me if i would be able to make same pictures with D70.
and please explain if there is a difference between d70 and d70s?
thanks alot in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3419
go here

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID86&c onf=DCConfID3

Post Number: 2
thanks very usefull links, but i was more looking for yes it can take a pic such as that or no.
thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3420
Yes it can. To be honest with you a lot of decent cameras can take a photograph like that and it is not exclusive to Nikon nor Canon. It is all about your skill at using the camera no matter what brand.

The key is knowing how to take it, I can let you use my D2X and give you the same scenario, but just pointing the camera and thinking about what you want to see will be different. The camera treats a scene very much differently than our eyes.

The difference between the D70 and D70s would be the slightly bigger lcd screen and cable release on the D70. Nothing more. So if you can find a D70 kit for a much lower price than the d70s, get it.

Post Number: 3
thanks alot that was a much better answer!!!
i understand that u have to knwo how to take a pic but i am sure u are not gona be able to take a nice pic like that with a point and shoot canon sd400.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3422
yes you can.

Post Number: 4
ok so to make a pic like that what settings would u suggest to use? with canon sd400

Gold Member

Post Number: 3426
For the SD400 I would go to the highest aperture setting on manual, probably around f/1.8 to f/2.8 and expose it to about 3-4 seonds. No flash to avoid over exposing and unnecessary reflection and glare. With that very low light situation you need a very steady hand or use a tripod.

To reduce the noise I'd stay with a lower ISO/DIN to only 100 or 200 and use a long exposure.

You need to do the same with a D70 or Rebel.

Post Number: 5
thanks i am going to try it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3428
don't forget to photoshop the way they did.

Post Number: 6
i know they photoshoped it but what exactly did they do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3430
There is not a lot that you can tell. You have to look at the original picture. But it looks like there is some sharpening done and color correction.

Bronze Member
Username: Bogner

Post Number: 16
Don't forget to use a tripod to avoid a blurry picture. Take a look at the right side of the bumper to see the photographer's reflection.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 186
They nicely gave enough EXIF info to tell a lot about that shot: Canon Rebel (a DSLR) at 21mm (probably the kit lens). Exposure was 32/10, or 3.2sec at f/5. I'm certain with that exposure & sharpness it was on a tripod; it's likely a cable release was used as well. To cut noise, it was taken at ISO 100. Considering that, a P&S might be able to pull it off with the same settings.

From the photographer's comments he did do some color correction as well as some deliberate changes to the headlights. I would expect some sharpening as well.

In direct answer to the original question, both cameras would handle that situation equally well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us