D100 quick answer appreciated!

Username: Impkillin

Post Number: 7
I am about to buy a d100 online I am buying it body only for 589 dollars. Then i am gonna buy some lenses online. I found 2 sigma lenses+extras for 245 dollars. My question is that these lenses were listed on ebay as d 50/70/100/2x lenses But they have aperture controls on the lense. Are they supposed to? Will they still work the same or would i have to adjust aperture via aperture ring?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3393
Yes they will work with the D100. All you do is set the aperture ring to the smallest aperture and the camera takes over control.

Post Number: 8
By smallest aperture you mean physically smallest aperture, or smallest aperture number? Also, another question(which probably has been gone over before, but as I'm not very keen on dredging through hundreds of posts) Which is better d100 or 70? Also thanks for the quick answer, much appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3454
f/22

D70-better sensor, better af, better meter,newer technology (very important in digital imaging). Sold my D100, bought d70.

Post Number: 9
thank you much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3459
no problem

Post Number: 10
Hey... an update... Somehow with some stroke of luck my order for the d100 got lost the day i found a d70s online (on sale) for 499 dollars + shipping. So i picked it up[ 2 days later it was 100 dollars more :-) ] I went to take my nikon fg into a camera shop for a new battery because my girlfriend is borrowing it for her first photography class( boy is that gonna be heck for her, the things so old shes gonna have to do everything herself ;), but she will learn alot) So anyways I was talking to the guy, and he was warning me about buying cameras online for significant price drops( like the one i had bought) This of course was somewhat expected, considering he is the owner of the shop and there was a d50 for 899 right behind him. He mentioned a few things to look out for but I dont really remember what, except to make sure that it had a US warranty(which all of the cameras from this site do) I was wondering what the other risks might be, if in fact there are any? Besides like buying things from some guy who lives in cucomongo and is just looking for my credit card number ;)( a side note the company i bought the camera from called me at 11am on my day off of work, during what is still my summer break, confirming my order, etc. trying to get me to buy a battery[which I guess the body only i bought doesnt come with one{which if i am not mistaken is snt the way its supposed to be}] So in my 3 minutes of being awake stupor i go in for, finish the conversation and am promptly told that my order is now 8 hundred and something dollars. It had gone from 520 after shipping to over 800 dollars. needless to say that woke me up, hehe. Then the guy has the nerve to try and convince me that 300 dollars is a good deal for a battery and charger, because a d50 retails for 899 and i was getting a d70s for less... ??? Then he was rude to me... the nerve)

I also had 2 questions. First off are there any downfalls to using a teleconverter? I bought a sigma 28-70 mm f2.8-4 high speed zoom lense(I am also at a loss as to what the f2.8-4 means???) as just a beginner lense. I find that a 80-200 fits me very well(well that was my experiences with the nikon fg)and was considering buying a telephoto lense, but as a teleconverter seems much more financially and physically ecenomic, i was thinking of picking one up, bearing at mind that I am an amateur photographer at best. My second question was if anyone knew of any basic photography/digital photography sites where I could brush up on some of my knowledge( Its been about a year and a half since highschool photography classes for me)
Thanks
Jason

Gold Member

Post Number: 3879
Jason,
A D70s at that price is definitely a rip-off. Any Nikon authorized dealer are not going to be able to sell that camera for that cheap. Nikon will not give deep discounts on a camera that is selling very well. No deep discounts...period!

Downfall to a teleconverter is usually light fall-off and the consequent fstop differences. You will have to compensate on your exposure by about 1-3 stops.

The 28-70 sigma is a good lens. The f2.8-4 means that at the short end you can open up your aperture at a maximum of f2.8 which will allow you to take photographs on lowlight levels. But at the 70mm end, the fstop is at f/4.

The 80-200 is telephot lens and if it is the 80-200 f2.8(which means it can maintain an aperture of f2.8, no matter the zoom) you are golden as it is one of the best lenses that Nikkor has ever made. Very sharp and very fast.

google Ken Rockwell and Thom Hogan. There is also nikonians.org, a great site. Try also earthboundlight.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 197
It seriously sounds like you're buying from a scam place. Pulling pieces out of the basic kit like battery & charger, then selling them as "extras" at ridiculous prices is a typical tactic. The followup call to do that & being rude (especially when you turn them down on the $200 junky filter) is also typical. Personally I'd cancel the order & go through a reputable dealer--your local guy isn't feeding you a story. Check your vendor on resellerratings.

As I recall in the photo class I took way back when, I had to convince my teacher to let me use my Minolta 7000i since it could be set to manual mode--he really wanted the students to use full manual cameras. You do learn more that way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Checked resellerratings, and its what you said. These guys arent technically criminals, so all i have lost is some time. Luckilly i have all the time in the world. I am going to call thm and see if I order a 100dollar "replacement plan" If they will actually ship it. 599 is still a great price, if not I will continue my quest for a d70s ;)
Thank you for all the information, you have been extremely helpful! Ill let you know when I do finally get a camera.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3919
I hope you don't learn an expensive lesson, but good luck anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Yea, i canceled order today and have to call tommorow to make sure they dont try and give me a cancelled order fee. they initiated a cancel with them, and as it was sunday and there was only an operator there he seemed not really into being an jerk(reas a s s). I called and told him I knew exactly how they do business and asked what I needed to buy for them to have my d70 in stock, and he told me id have to "buy the store" because they dont ave anything in stock??? So he suggested thaat my order should be cancelled and i said okay, then he promptly hung up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Anyone have any good or bad experiences at B & H photo?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3955
I buy most of my photo equipment from them. There is also Adorama. Great customer service. I buy from both or whomever has the best deals or sales going on at the time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
B&H and Adorama are two of the biggest mail-order & online photo stores on the web (and have large B&M stores in NY). They are your best bet. I have used Adorama several times without trouble.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
k, thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3967
It's been a month jason, did you decide on a camera yet? You know you are missing a lot photo learning opportunities trying to find the best deal:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hehe, yea, youre right. I bought it today on B&H. Im in for alot of time though. I am taking a leave of absence from work while at school and I am going to be getting alot of free time. I also had another question for you. I am looking for a zoom lense( hows that cheap 70-300 nikon Im always seeing in bestbuy? also I am thinking of getting a nikon slr, and wondering what youd reccomend, something also inexpensive like a 200-300 dollar body that would be compatible with my d70 lenses (the 28-70 f2.8-4 sigma, and whatever zoom im gonna buy) I was also wondering on my sigma whether or not it would be a good low light camera, and if not what you would reccomend?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3969
The 28-70 sigma will work fine for low light situations but you will still need a tripod. Do not go cheap on the tripod, or will spend more on a better one later, trust me on that one.

The 70-300 lens is an okay lens, it is cheap for a reason. Works well during bright sunny days and for that extra reach.

Read up on some photography books first and learn all that you can. You have long way ahead of you.

For inexpensive nikon SLRs, take a look at the Nikon FM10. FM for fully manual:-)

Are you getting the D70S kit camera with the 18-70 lens? Practice with those first and get lenses later, better yet, get the sb-600 or sb-800 flash instead of another lens. No need on spending money on lenses yet, you'll get there soon enough, but you could always use the speedlight almost immediately.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
no kit, sigma lense is my starter. went with a d70 as price was significantly different. Got it shipped for 765. A few better deals, but I know these guys can be trusted. So my setup will be right now a sigma lense, d70, 1gb cf, extra battery and charger, and a Canon bag (I know, but my girlfriend works at bestbuy and it was 59.99 but with her discount i got it for 25. Any suggestions? I need to be cheap right now, as i will not be working(due to school as mentioned above). Why the flash? I've never actually used a flash with slr work. My very very first camera was like an eos x (really cheap) and was supposed to come with one, but i didnt get it, and never made the effort to change that, then my fg which I primarily used a 80-200 mf lense. I still own the fg, so I've got the fully manual camera thing covered, I was thinking something more along the lines of an slr I could use mostly for point and shoot work, but can also have a little bit of control, that would be alot quicker than a fully manual.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Also yea, the tripod is a must, how much would you reccomen spending( think i could pick up a good one at bestbuy, i get a tremendous discount on that kind of stuff) and why go more expensive? Ease of use, or cheap wil break, or both, or any other reasons? Also thinking about getting a monopod.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3978
jason,
your d70 can be used as a regular point and shoot. Just put it on A (automatic) and it will do all of the work for you.

The flash is a definite must have to round out the versatility of the camera. You wouldn't want to be with the proper lighting even with a good lens.

As for the tripod DO NOT buy at best buy. Look for Bogen/Manfrotto or Gitzo. You will never have to buy another tripod if you get the proper to begin with. The problem with the cheap tripods at best buy is stability, sturdiness and construction. Expect to spend about $120-175 for a good one. And don't forget to get a ballhead to attach the camera to the tripod. The cheap panning heads will also work but will show its weakness when youwant to do some minor adjustments and tweaks. Again Bogen/Manfrotto or Gitzo, probably will set you back another $45-75. This hobby gets expensive. Did I warn of that before? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
Better yet, google Feisol. They make a sort-of Gitzo knockoff that's getting really good reviews. When budget allows that's what I'll be getting. A carbon fiber tripod for $185 shipped. =8O

For heads, Kirk and ReallyRightStuff are spendy, but top-notch. I'll probably go with one of the RRS heads.

Before buying a tripod, read this article: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
thanks for the tripod info. I know the d70 can be used as a point and shoot, but i wanted something in film as a back-up. something nikon that will utilize same lenses i have(as I will be buying lenses with an aperture control ring) Now I'm getting all excited... my camera needs to hurry! (if only i hadnt ordered it about 15 hours ago, hehe)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
What are your opinions of like a n60/65/80? Im looking for sometheing I can get body only cheaply, incase I feel the whim to shoot film. Also any opinions on non nikon flashes(that are compatible with nikons, of course) ? Do they just not cut it? Obviously I am quite a ways away from making any more purchases(except maybe the film camera)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Also to chris, thanks for the mention of Resellerrating! I have used that site about a million times now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3987
Chris,
Have you tried the Feisol products? I am curious.

I was trying to steer him away form the overly expensive ball heads. Don't forget the Markins m-10 and m-21, they have a US dealer back home, but they are based in South Korea. I'll be checking them out while I'm here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3989
jason,
You really have to get the flash instead of another camera

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
I haven't personally used them yet, but a bunch of picky photographers used to Gitzo tripods have liked them. They have reported you basically get 95% of Gitzo quality & functionality for 35% of the price. Good enough for me. :-)

I forgot, they also have a ballhead as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
okay, so flash first. Any opinions on non nikon brand flashes, or are they just not worth it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Also. I am still kind of confused about the aperture things on the lense. Lets imagine there is a 20-70mm lense that had a f.3-6. And I was using it at 70mm, would the camera physically not allow me to open the aperture below 6, or would me going to the lowest aperture setting be the same as 6. or what???

I am thoroughly confused here.

Thanks,
Jason

Gold Member

Post Number: 3992
More likely yes.
As far as speedlights, just get the Nikon, you;ll have less headaches. You'll soon learn about their advance lighting system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
To answer the question on lenses, you are correct. Using your example theoretical lens, at 20mm you can open up to f/3, while at 70mm you can only open up to f/6. As you zoom from wide (20mm) to tele (70mm) the max aperture opening will follow, so at, say, 30mm you can probably onl open it up to f/3.5 & 40mm it only goes to f/4. It's a physical design limitation in the lens mechanism.

The more expensive lenses will allow for a constant aperture. For example, the 24-70mm I have on my wishlist can be set to f/2.8 no matter where in the zoom range it is, but it costs a whole lot more than the kit 18-55 that goes from f/3.5-5.6.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Okay. I understood what the differences were... I was just unsure as to how the camera would regulate the fstop at the higher end. Still unsure what you meant. Is it physically impossible to flip the aperture to 3.5 at 70mm if it is a zoom 30-70 f3.5-6? If not... what happens assuming i am using a film camera if i set the aperture to 3.5 at 70mm?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Oh.. an update.. my camera came today... while i was at work... and they will be trying to redeliver it tommorrow while i am at work again, and i have to sign for it in person, and I dont know of anywhere to go to pick it up, given the only phone number on the slip ups sent was a tracking locator, which told me they would be trying to redeliver tommorow. I hate UPS... Well it would have been a great job if i had it today, since i ordered it late monday evening, and it wasnt shipped until tuesday.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4002
jason,
on the issue of the apertures. You simply cannot set the aperture beyond the limits of the design. The camera nor the lense just will not let you. The 3.5 will not even be an option if you are set at the 70 mm end. The aperture is being controlled by the camera body.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
You have the lens thing right. I'll use a real lens as an example: the Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX. So at 55mm, the lens wide open is f/4, while at 200mm wide open is f/5.6. That is the opening set as wide as the mechanism can physically go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Update! Camera is here... and boy its sexy! hehe. Its night time, so i took some pics in auto mode for the thrill of it, and am now tackling the manual. I dont have to work until 6pm tomorrow, so I am expecting to take some photos :-) Do any of you know any good places to share your photos via internet, like on nikonians, just free? I want somewhere where i can get some helpful input on the photos I will be taking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us