Storing pictures on Comp...what's a good tagging system?

Username: Bogner

Post Number: 10
I am having trouble keeping track of my pictures. With my D70S, every time I delete my pictures from my CF card, they start back at zero rather than with a continuous order. Am I doing something wrong? For instance: I will load a picture say 0001, delete it form teh CF card, and the next picture will also be 0001. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 185
I'm not familiar with the D70, but that doesn't sound right. I would assume (trouble right there ;) ) that it should be remembering where it left off in numbering.

Anyway, what I do for a workflow is use Downloader Pro to transfer from the CF. I have it set to rename the pictures using EXIF data thus: YYMMDD-HHMMSS-camera-seq. num. So it grabs the EXIF date and time taken, and the camera model (I have more than one) and retains the original file number; I could have it just generate it's own sequential number.

I also have a specific directory structure that it adds to. The overall directory scheme is thus:
....20050816-Photo Shoot

I have DL Pro generate the third layer based on the file dates and a job code I give it. Within that I have it make RAW, Working, and Done directories so everything is all set up for processing. This has worked well for 4 years worth of photos now at approximately 30,000 files. Many now archived off to DVD. The final piece of the puzzle to organize all this is IMatch to catalog and categorize all those shots.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3386
What program are you using to transfer the pictures fromt he CF card to the computer?
If you are using NikonView, do this:
When inserting CF card to the computer Nikon Transfer will activate.
Do not click on the transfer icon just yet, instead, click on the "change" button.
"File destination and naming" will come up.
Put a check mark on "create a new subfolder for each transfer"
Under "File Naming", tag the "Original File name"

Then click on "change" button.
From here make sure that the pull down on "between prefix and suffix", chose "use sequential number.

Or you can make your own choices. But leaving it on these attributes willm ake sure that every time you insert a cf card into your computer, the files will be transferred and numbered automatically.

When you re-inser the CF card in your camera use the 2 format button sequence and do not use your computer to delete the files in the CF card.

try it and let me know how it goes.
cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks guys. I'll llook into it. Right now I am just using iPhto for all of this as I am getting used toeverything Apple right now. Would you reccommend that I start using the supplied Nikon software? I also have the CS2 Suite if that would make it easier as well. Thank you for your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3396
The only program I would recommend from Nikon would be the NikonView. You can use this to automatically transfer the pics from the CF card to the computer.
The CS2Suite is an excellent tool.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Can I use CS2 to transefer, or shoudl I look into the Nikon?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3421
Answer this question first.

Do you have a memory card reader or are you transferring directly from the camera to the PC?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
No, I picked up a sandisk high speed 12-1 so I can use our parents cards as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3434
That is great.
Now you need to install the free NikonView software that came with your cmaera kit, so that the pictures will transfer automatically to a file that you specified.
From those file you can use CS2 to open and edit the pictures.
Makes sure that you do no alter the originals. Give them a separate filename and a different folder so that you'll know which pictures have been edited.
Try to avoid using the camera to transfer pictures. It saves your batteries.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Is the picture project transfer the same thing? That's the only disc I could find.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3451
That is odd. Go to the NikonUSA website. They will have the NikonView software as a free download.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3452
here
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_options&cat=1&grp=2&productNr=n ikonview

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I have been trying to uninstall picture perfect on my apple, but it constantly shuts down and says that all programs must be closed, which they are. It also says on the Nikon website that Picture Perftect must be uninstalled before Nikon View is installed. Any suggestions?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3458
I really hate those Nikon program quirks. They really should just concentrate on cameras:-)

anyway, to your question. NikonView needs to be removed before you can touch Picture Project. And make sure that you have the latest version of NikonView...I think it is version 6.2.6.

Remove NikonView before removing picture project. There should be no instances of NikonView when installing or uninstalling picture project. Did I tell you how much I hate that program? :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us