Nikon D70s vs. Canon EOS 20D...please help a newbie!

Username: Bogner

Post Number: 1
I am not sure where my other post went. I am torn between these two cameras. I was all set to buy the Canon, then got caught up with the Nikon. This will be my first DSLR. Any suggestions?

Post Number: 2
I have searched through threads on this board, but I am still undecided. I am reall yon the fence about these two models. Any suggestions would help tremendously. Thank you!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3355
What is your photographic experience? Is this a hobby or something new? What type of photography are trying to do?
What is your budget?

Very important information to know in order to make a recommendation pointed in the right direction.

The advent of affordable digital SLRs from Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax and so many others have really brought about consumers that are taking up photography as a hobby and using them as regular digital point and shoots and not really using the available features of a digital SLR.

Are you sure you really want a DSLR and not the more convenient P&S digitals? They take really great pictures and most that go from that to a DSLR are really disappointed. They think they can take better than usual pictures, maybe even to a professional level and feel let down when they realize the pictures are taken by the photographer and just captured by the camera.

Post Number: 3
I have taken courses on photography, albeit years ago, and the knwoledge proabably long gone, but I also took a photoshop class as well. I currently have a Canon A95 and I really want to get into photography. I have an interest in covering sports, but also ladnscapes as well. I have done a good amount of research over the past couple of weeks and it looks as though I have narrowed it down to these two. I would love to move into photography as a business, but first things first.

Post Number: 4
We alos just purchased a iMac G5 with the CS2 Suite, with a heavy interest in photography.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3357
If you are going into the sports field of the hobby, I would suggest the Canon EOS1-d mark 2 or the Nikon D2X. both wonderful cameras but the bulk of your photography will rely on the lenses and both companies make superb lenses.

But being that you started with the Canons, i suggest that you stick with them just because you are more familiar with the controls. Quality and image wise these 2 cameras are both excellent and from there it comes down to price and how you perceive the megapixel wars.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3358
I work with CS2 and they have abosolutely nothing to do with the cameras you will be using, so that is not in the equation. They only come into play after the photo shoot is done and it doesn't care what camera you are using:-)

Post Number: 5
I have a vague price range, but the 1-D and the D2X are way above it. Being familiar with controls doesn't really bother me a whole lot as I just switched over to Apple from PC. There is no real defeinitive asnwer is there?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3359
The only camera that I can think of for sports will be the Canon EOS 20D. Should be within your price range.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 182
From your comments--sports, looking at pro, and already having a Canon I would think the 20D is the way to go. The D70 is really a competitor to the Rebel anyway; the 20D is a more feature-rich body as you would expect with the $1400 price tag vs $900 for the D70/Rebel. I'm constantly amazed at the difficult situations the 20D takes in stride, it's a fantastic camera. At this point, the sensor size really doesn't matter, they are within 20% of each other & the differences between the CMOS & CCD technology seem to be minor, so it's really down to the ergonomics & same old basic feature set differences you'd find in a film body.

Again, as Berny said the computer simply does not figure into the equation, that's the darkroom and it does not matter where the image originated, it's all the same once the file's on the HD. The controls Berny was referring to was the camera body and Nikon & Canon are definitely different; I've become familiar enough with my 20D that I now kind of flounder when picking up my sister's D100.

Post Number: 6
Thank you for your posts. I was merely mentioning CS2/Computer to make it clear that I was not just hooking up to a printer and printing 4x6's.

I appreciate all of your input, and after tearing my hair out over it, I decided to save the money and go with the Nikon. I realized after I started playing with the camera, how much information I have lost since my last photo class and realize that any more camera and I would be swimming up the river.

I cannot wait to dive into photography and I look forward to learning more and upgrading int he future. This website is a great tool for all levels. Thank you for your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3408
No worries Tim.

Let us know if and when you purchase your new camera.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Last week I purchased a Nikon D70S. After making the purchase, I'm sure the Canon would be no different, I was extremely excited.

The quality of pictures it takes merely on the auto mode blows me away. I am glad I got my head around the whole mega pixel thing too.

Now all I need is a photo class to get me started. DO you know of any workshops or classes I could enroll in in the Northern part of New England?

Thank you again for all of your help!
P.S. - What kind of a cleaning kit should I look into? Thank you!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3423
check this out

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Don't go crazy with the cleaning, now. Unless you change out your lenses very often, dust should not be a problem. Or you could take it from the store you purchased the camera and ask them to clean it for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Actually, I was taking a picture of my dog and he pressed his wet nose against it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3433
LOL!
For the lens you can just use soft fabric, preferrably the kind you use to wipe glasses.

Unregistered guest
Berny, I agree that there is not much to choose from between 20D and D70s. For myself, I have pretty much made up my mind on the 20D because it allows me to take Black & White photos with built-in colour filters, that save me doing the computer post-processing - I hate working with computers.
However, I need your advice on the lenses. I do a lot of travelling and take mostly landscape and people photos. If I onl want to carry 2 lenses with me, which 2 would you recommend, assuming my budget is about $1,200.

Tks for your tips in advance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3548
Whether you hate working with computers or not is irrelevant, you probably will have to in the digital realm, it is almost inevitable, resistance is futile :-)

For lenses check on these, if you only have to have one lens, I would recommend this, a definite must have for your lens. maybe a little cumbersome and will probably eat up your whole budget.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=150&m odelid=7469

This is for general walking around lens. You may need the slightly wide angle on this.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&m odelid=10511

and this extra 3rd lens for portraits.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=152&m odelid=7307

The last 2 are what I would recommend for general walking around lenses. Which would probably be within the budget you specified.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 189
For a Nikon guy, you have a good handle on the Canon lenses! :-) The 70-200/2.8IS has a well-deserved reputation as one of Canon's best zooms, it's a fantastic lens. It is a big, heavy white beast though. I rented one for an event & it's now at the top of the must-buy list--but it's $1600.

Another option for a 50mm is the f1.8, while you lose a stop it's still a great lens. The current Mk II can be had for $70 (or less used); the older metal mount Mk I runs about $120-150 used & I love mine. The 17-85 IS can be got as a kit lens (I kind of wish I went that way instead of the 18-55), so would work as a good starter lens.

You can also look at some of the Sigma lenses, there's a few that have reputations of producing results close to Canon's, for example the 70-200 f2.8 EX APO HSM.

Shooting digital & working on computers goes hand-in-hand. There is no way around it. For a lot of the grunt work you can get automation set up to let the computer do what it does best & leave you to the creative stuff. It's taken me a while, but I am now down to pushing a couple of buttons to get files downloaded, renamed, and stored in standardized directory structures ready for me to cull the shots & do what little retouching is now necessary. I also have to spend a little time cataloging. From there, it's back to push a few buttons to develop & store new files & transfer the cataloging to them & finally stuff my IPTC data.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3559
I get that a lot:-)
I love Nikon because of the control and simplicity it affords me and Canon...well, what can I say they are almost always at the forefront of imaging technology. I still have an EOS-1, with the 70-200, and if I really want to intimidate someone, I attach the 100-400 lens...I haven't touch film in a while, though so the EOS will probably be handed down to one of my kids.

I am not a Canon or Nikon guy per se, I just started out with the Nikon in High School, then went to Canon for a while, now back to Nikon when the D70 came out. And then the D2X when that came out.

I love that these 2 are always trying to one up each other, it benefits us, the consumer and photographer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us