Zoom lense for digital camera..

Bronze Member
Username: Pjcom

Brentwood, TN USA

Post Number: 20
What is a good zoom lense for a Cannon Rebel in the price range of $250? I would just like someone elses opinion before I go to Best Buy and buy what the "all knowing" sales person tells me to. - Thanks ahead of time

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3186
For that price you will get an adequate lens. If you go to Best Buy, you will have to settle for the lenses that are within that price range, possibly a 200mm. You can look at the Sigma 55-200mm f4/5.6 DC lens for about $140. The axiom "You get what you pay for" really applies to lenses, so do not go cheap. Good glass is difficult to manufacture.

Good lenses are not cheap and are usually not discounted heavily, sometimes more expensive than the camera and never at Best Buy. Go to a more camera oriented place and you will get a better selection. There's Ritz,Wolf, etc. Online you can go to B&H, Adorama, Calumet. For used equipment, try PHOTOGON.COM.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 173
Best Buy is definitely not the best place for camera equipment (any more than it is for A/V). I'd look at the places Berny suggested first. There is alos KEH who does used & has a good rep.

I'd also look at www.photozone.de in their review database, and check some photography forums for opinions and examples (www.dpreview.com, www.fredmiranda.com - my favorite). FM also has an active Buy/Sell forum & Canon is the majority of gear there.

You also need to define what you will be using it for, landscapes, portraits, wildlife, etc. That will change the requirements drastically. A good lens for landscapes is not very good for wildlife.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us