Another D70 thread...

Username: Crit

Holland, OH USA

Post Number: 6
so i was wondering if they make a battery grip for it yet?

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 64
Nope, that's a big part of why I never considered it. I'm not sure if they even plan to introduce one. The D100 does have one, but they're getting scarce.

Holland, OH USA

Post Number: 7
yea i saw that one for the D100, it kinda sucks...

Holland, OH USA

Post Number: 8
that they dont make one for the d70

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2919
Harbortronics makes a vertical grip for the D70. There is also a rumor that the updated D70s will have an optional battery grip.
I don't see the point of a vertical grip on the D70. It was designed to be a light weight and was not intended for the professional market. Adding a vertical grip will defeat that purpose and would make it heavier. It would be nice though.
If you want a vertical grip, get the Canon 20D and not the 10D. Don't even get it used. The Canon 20D has already rendered it obsolete. I don't recommend ever getting a used digital camera. Unless it is pretty current. Plus with digital you can almost be assured that it has been REALLY used. When I went digital, I hardly touch my F5 and the amount of shooting I've done has almost quadrupled.

Bronze Member

Holland, OH USA

Post Number: 14
so in the terms of features or "what the camera can do," which has more options? the D70 or 20D?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2925
tough call...
why do you insist on making it difficult, JK:-)
Seriously, Nikon and Canon guys will have their say. The best thing to do is go out there and try them both out. A lot of reputable camera dealers will be more than happy to assist you. Look at the features that you will actually use and go to the website I pointed out.

In the end you will still be wanting to get lenses, a speedlight, tripods, ball heads, etc., and the expense is always high.

Either body you choose will be great.

Bronze Member

Holland, OH USA

Post Number: 16
ok heres another question...sorry but i know know as much as possible before buying...anyways i was wondering about the D100. Is it old and outdated, or is it similar to the D70?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2926
It is not outdated, yet. But the D70 is better in terms of features and sensor. It has better metering.
The D100 has the better body.

Bronze Member

Holland, OH USA

Post Number: 19
what do you mean when you say "better body?"

Bronze Member

Holland, OH USA

Post Number: 20
what do you mean when you say "better body?"

Bronze Member

Holland, OH USA

Post Number: 21
sorry my computer starts to freeze so i click it again while its loading and it puts it twice

Gold Member

Post Number: 2928
The construction seems more solidly built. The D70 is a poly composite, lighter weight.
But feature per feature I'd take the D70.

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 68
From what I saw the D70 stripped out some higher ISO settings. With that, the lack of battery grip and plastic vs. magnesium chassis my preference was for the D100.

As for the D70 vs 20D comparison, I don't think it's really fair. The D70 is more equivalent to the digital Rebel while the 20D falls more between the D100 and D1H/X cameras. The 20D definitely has more capabilities than the D70, but is nearly twice the cost.

First decide what features matter most to you & look at the whole system supporting the camera (lenses mainly, flashes, accessories, etc). Then go to a store & play with the camera a bit.

I had the fortunate situation of having both a D100 and 20D available to me for extended use & both were very nice, with the newer 20D having the edge IMHO.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2929
Good point. I believe the market intended for th D70 was to compete against the digital rebel.
Nikon was losing that market share specially with the price drops that Canon did.
For a while there was no competition against the Digital Rebel.
I also have to agree that the 20D is a much better camera than the D100.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us