Transfering video from a dv tape to pc

Layla
Unregistered guest
I realize that this question has been asked numerous times, but I'm still confused. I have a Canon ZR65 MC and the instruction manual only says how to tranfer images from a memory card to a computer. I installed the WIA driver, and nothing happens when I plug the camera into the computer with a USB cable. I guess what's confusing me is the whole firewire thing. I have a Gateway Profile 3 computer and I don't see any place to connect a firewire cable, do I need some sort of adapter?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2922
Your computer should have 2 ports called IEEE 1394. This is your firewire port. You can get a DV to IEEE1394 cable at your local electronics/computer store. You attach this cable to the DV out of your camera and attach the other end to the IEEE 1394 port of your computer.
Don't use the USB port.
This is what a firewire port on your computer looks like.

http://www.coolnerds.com/Newbies/Ports/ports03.gif

Layla
Unregistered guest
Thanks, but I still can't find a firewire port. I looked everywhere including the computer's instruction manual which didn't list any fiewire ports, which is strange, because according to gateway.com I should have two. What can I do now?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2931
gateway has a habit of hiding ports behind covered panels. Or it could be a PCI slot that can hold 2 firewire cards, sometimes they don't tell you these things.
If you still can't find it, you should call gateway or e-mail them and ask.

frustrated
Unregistered guest
i'm trying to load dv tape to a pc thru my Panasonic mini dv camera. Everything is plugged in and the computer recognizes it. But I can't find an option for loading the whole tape? It just will let me load something that I could currently record. I have an editing program and i cant find anything in there either.. Help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us