Need help Sony Cyber shot DSC-P72

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DSC-P72 and have had it for 2 ˝ years. It can no longer read the memory stick, says "No memory stick" at all times. So I bought a new memory stick and the same problem. I have tried reformatting both memory cards which, of course, did not work because it says it can't read it. The strange thing is that sometimes I can hook it up to my computer through the USB connection and it will read the disk in My Computer. So I salvaged all the pictures but now I have 2 Sony memory sticks that my camera cannot read.

So, does anyone know what the problem could be? I have taken it to a repair center and they said they could send it to Sony for repair -- minimum $200.

If you think it can't be repaired, should I buy another Sony? I want to be able to use my memory sticks but now I am leery about purchasing another Sony camera.

Thanks
Cortnee

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2847
You should definitely buy another camera, if that one is in need of repair, the expense is not worth your trouble. Chances are, there are no pictures in the memory stick.
I suggest that you get a different camera, perhaps by Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Minolta, etc. These are camera makers who actually specialize in the area of photography. I never liked the proprietary attitude of Sony.

Get a memory card reader if you want to make sure about the memory stick's contents, but, when you get a memory card reader, make sure that it is the kind that can accept all kinds of memory cards. They are not expensive and it is always better (in my experience) to read from the memory card reader rather than attaching the camera to the computer.

Anonymous

My camera is making a lot of weird noises when I try to turn it on. It won't let me take pictures because the lense won't open. It makes noise for a little bit then the screen says turn the power off and on again. The thing is, I went to the beach the other day. Maybe sand got in it? Please help me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3066
Maybe sand did get in, in any case, you should bring it in for service.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P31. When I turn the camera on the LCD screen comes on but I cannot view anything through it. When I try to take a picture it just takes a black screen. I can view all the pictures I have previously taken I just can't see or take anything new. I've checked and I do have it on the right settings and tried reseting the camera and nothing helps.

Anonymous

Check here if you need help with repairs
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D7533398693%26

Anonymous

I have a DSC-P72, two years old, which started to display the same "No Memory Stick" error. I tried three memory sticks and still the same problem.

I found small metal pieces, meant to be in constant contact with the corresponding metal contacts on the memory stick, and I used a long nail file to bend them down in the direction of the memory stick's contacts.

This did the trick and now the camera works.

-ja

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P32, I've had it for under a year. When I turn it on it beeps and says, "Turn camera off and on again." I've done that, I've put new batteries in it, a new memory card, but it still keeps displaying the same message. The lens is open, but it won't allow me to take pictures. Any idea what's wrong?

Unregistered guest
I have a DSC-P72 that works great except...it has a busted screen. I use it everyday, but a screen would be nice. If you want to sell yours, I may be interested in buying. I would attempt to switch screens. Thanks and good luck!

Anonymous

i have the same issue as completelylost. I have the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P31. When I turn it on it beeps and says, "Turn camera off and on again." I've done that, I've put new batteries in it, a new memory card, but it still keeps displaying the same message. The lenses are closed and it won't let me take any pictures but i can view the pictures. Can anyone help?

Anonymous

i have the same issue as completelylost. I have the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P31. When I turn it on it beeps and says, "Turn camera off and on again." I've done that, I've put new batteries in it, a new memory card, but it still keeps displaying the same message. The lenses are closed and it won't let me take any pictures but i can view the pictures. Can anyone help?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3368
Send it in for service. Something is caught in the mechanism that releases the lens and it is interpreting that blockage to think that there is a cover or something else keeping it from operating properly.

Unregistered guest
I have had a DSC-P72 for about 3 years, and it has worked great. However I went to take pictures of our young child recently, and the display is all blurry, and when I take a picture like this, the picture is the same way. The only thing I can think of is that it got hot in the car one day. Has anyone seen heat from a car cause this? Can this be fixed, and if not We will be purchasing a digital camcorder with a camera in it, any body have any suggestions on this? Are the Mini DVD camcorders worthwhile? I've tried to attach some examples but it wasn't working

Gold Member

Post Number: 3384
I'm afraid your camera may have reached the end of its serviceable life accelerated of course by extreme heat. And it is not worth fixing, you can get a better camera for the same price you paid for that Sony 3 years ago.

I do not believe in getting a camcorder that takes still features. it is a great feature, don't get me wrong, but i would not trust my baby pictures to a camcorder. Get a separate still camera for still pictures and not a camcorder. The resolution on a digital still camera is leaps and bounds better than a video camera.

Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem as Amber with my Sony Cyper-shot DSC P31. LCD screen is dark and will not take pictures. Can someone please tell us what is going on and is it fixable?

FrankCarlo
Unregistered guest
I have a sony cybershot P72 and the lcd screen does not display after getting hit by some water. Pictures take fine, just can't see anything in lcd display. Is this worth fixing, anyone know? Can I fix myself?

ghhgfhfgh
Unregistered guest
You guys are in denial...
that Sony junk is broken...get over it!

Unregistered guest
Hi folks,

Just wondering if you might be able to advise. I've a P72 which, for some strange reason, turns itself off once the lens has opened when you switch it on. It seems to work fine in review mode, but picture mode is really weird.

Anyone encountered this before? Is it a battery thing? Or is it a fault that needs to get looked at? Many thanks indeed...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3752
You need to have it looked at.
Did you think that the camera experiences mood swings and decides to not function properly from time to time?

Maybe you should take it out to dinner:-)

Unregistered guest
Hello,

I have had my Sony P72 for 2 years. i have been VERY careful with it. this past june i decided to get the 'memory stick pro' so i could take more pics on my vacation. the people at the store tried to install it, and now it says 'memory stick error'. we put the original memory stick (which worked fine) back in, but it STILL says the error. the lens will open, and the camera powers on and evertying, but i can't do anything or take any pictures.

i have tried reformatting the stick on another camera, but it still won't work. can anyone help me please?

J123456789
Unregistered guest
Howdy. I have a DSC P31. Today when I plugged in the USB, the video out plug didn't fit all the way into the camera. So when I turn on the camera, it won't connect to the computer. Anyone know what I could do to fix it myself?

J123456789
Unregistered guest
Howdy. I have a DSC P31. Today when I plugged in the USB, the video out plug didn't fit all the way into the camera. So when I turn on the camera, it won't connect to the computer. Anyone know what I could do to fix it myself?

idontnowhattodo
Unregistered guest
hi. i have a sony p72 and i have always been really careful with it,but now i try to turn the camera on but the lens just opens and then the power is off and the screen is black. when i try to turn it back on with the lens out it closes then opens again and does the smae process it will only work in the viewing mode...what should i do?

Unregistered guest
I have the same problem with a sony p73 powers on in review mode and setup mode but powers off as soon as it is switched to any camera mode?

Unregistered guest
Just had to tell SOMEONE! I had a DSC-P32 that I really loved, until I got the repeated "
Turn the power off and on again" message... and the camera was useless. Since I liked the camera so much, I got another just like it, which has served me well for a couple years of abuse. Today I got the same error message. I found the problem this evening, and fixed both cameras.... now I have two that work!
Get ready for my super-technical fix... Open the case by removing the 4 silver screws and splitting the case. There is a little wire that must be moved off a hook on a circuit board, a couple of catched have to be popped, then pull the mechanism out of the front half of the case. You should be able to see the inside of the lens cover...There is a little motor that moves a ring gear around the lens cover...Move that ring gear to open the lens cover. That's it. (you have to force it... at least that is my super technical technique...Do this at your own risk ) Opening the lens cover re-set whatever weird problem the camera had... and now it (they both) work again. I'm glad I did not throw the first camera away. It was all just a matter of forcing the camera to close and open the lens cover again...
Hope someone can use this info, and gains the use of thier camera again... good luck!

exactchange
Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem as idontnowhattodo, jonny333, samk and amber. Would defintely be intersted if anyone has found out what the problem is and how to fix it.

Unregistered guest
Can anyone recommend the cheapest place to get a screen repaired/replaced for my sony cybershot T1?
thanks! : )

armstrong
Unregistered guest
lan5281

THANKS!!!!...We have the same problem and try to find a solution in internet one month ago!!!....now I found your post, follow your instructions and fix my camera. Great!!!!

Username: Stevenberk

Washington, DC USA

Post Number: 2
Hi, my name is Steven Berk. I am an attorney in Washington, DC, who specializes in representing consumers who have purchased defective products from technology companies. I am currently working on cases of that kind against JVC and Sony. In that regard, we are filing an amended class complaint against Sony to include digital still cameras.
In connection with the amended complaint, it would be very useful if I could interview anyone about their experience with the blank LCD screen problem. If you are interested, please email me at stevenb@cuneolaw.com or call me at 202-789-3960. Thanks for your consideration.

bcs296
Unregistered guest
Do yourself a favor and get something other than a Sony. I have a P31 that is now junk because the shutter release button simply does not work. I have tried literally everything -- you name it, I've probably tried it.

dontknowwhattodo
Unregistered guest
I have a sony cyber shot dsc-p72. ive had it for just over two years now. when i turn the camera on the lens opens then it turns off. i dont know what to do!

Unregistered guest
I just bought a sony cyber shot dsc w1 in December of 2004. About a month ago my daughter broke the battery door so I emailed Sony. They gave me instructions where and how to send it off for repair (it was still under warranty). So I sent it off and got the estimate for repairs on line *$774.34*. I was in shock and called them right away, and told them there must be some mistake as you can buy that camera at Best Buy now for $269. When I bought it last year it was about 350.00.
Nope the repair center proceeded to tell me that the camera must have been dropped in water or something as there was a lot of rust and corrosion inside of it and it was a total loss.
I called Sony each day after that, trying to find someone to help me resolve this misunderstanding. Each person I talked to I stated and restated. I never dropped it in any water, and it was working the day I mailed it in (I have dated pictures to prove it). I was told by the Sony tech. that the camera couldn't possibly have been taking pictures when I mailed it in because it was in such bad shape. *SIGH* I told them "For pete sake, the camera was working perfectly except the battery door, why would I send a non working camera in for battery door repair?".

Sony decided, their repair center was right, I was wrong and sent the camera back to me. When I got the camera back it didn't work at all. Grrrr they broke my camera, and refuse to do anything about it.

The bottom line here is, it was working fine when I sent it in, I have pictures w/ dates to prove this, 10 days later when I got it back (the battery door was still broken by the way) and now the camera doesn't work. I was informed by Sonys repair center that my case has been closed and they can't do anything for me.

I don't know what to do about this injustice and feel that Sony is just trying to get out of honoring their warranty. Meanwhile, I am stuck with no camera because they tore it apart and ruined it. (The camera is less than a year old).

I filed a complaint with Sony which may or may not even get read. I feel cheated.

Unregistered guest
I just bought a sony cyber shot dsc w1 in December of 2004. About a month ago my daughter broke the battery door so I emailed Sony. They gave me instructions where and how to send it off for repair (it was still under warranty). So I sent it off and got the estimate for repairs on line *$774.34*. I was in shock and called them right away, and told them there must be some mistake as you can buy that camera at Best Buy now for $269. When I bought it last year it was about 350.00.
Nope the repair center proceeded to tell me that the camera must have been dropped in water or something as there was a lot of rust and corrosion inside of it and it was a total loss.
I called Sony each day after that, trying to find someone to help me resolve this misunderstanding. Each person I talked to I stated and restated. I never dropped it in any water, and it was working the day I mailed it in (I have dated pictures to prove it). I was told by the Sony tech. that the camera couldn't possibly have been taking pictures when I mailed it in because it was in such bad shape. *SIGH* I told them "For pete sake, the camera was working perfectly except the battery door, why would I send a non working camera in for battery door repair?".

Sony decided, their repair center was right, I was wrong and sent the camera back to me. When I got the camera back it didn't work at all. Grrrr they broke my camera, and refuse to do anything about it.

The bottom line here is, it was working fine when I sent it in, I have pictures w/ dates to prove this, 10 days later when I got it back (the battery door was still broken by the way) and now the camera doesn't work. I was informed by Sonys repair center that my case has been closed and they can't do anything for me.

I don't know what to do about this injustice and feel that Sony is just trying to get out of honoring their warranty. Meanwhile, I am stuck with no camera because they tore it apart and ruined it. (The camera is less than a year old).

I filed a complaint with Sony which may or may not even get read. I feel cheated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4192
File a complaint with the consumer protection agency in your state. They are usually very good at following up on complaints like yours. Make sure that you tell the Sony Service center what you are planning on doing and the action you will be taking. If it is under warranty, you have rights to protection, and make sure that you can back up your claims by showing them proof via the pictures you have taken and their consequent assumptions.

Lizzy234
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-S40 which I got about 2 weeks ago. It worked the first day, but then when I turned it on the next day, it turned itself off. I returned the camera and got a new one, the exact same model. Now, I have had this camera for a week and it is starting to do the same thing. I am able to look at pictures in the preview mode but when I switch to the picture taking or movie mode, it shuts itself off. Am I doing something wrong or have I bought two faulty cameras?

Username: Sheena2jura

GlasgowScotland

Post Number: 1
I have a sonyCybershot DSC 72. Most times it works fine, Other times it goes mad. If I have used the review and turn it so that I can take a photo, the lens thing comes out , the screen is blank, and the power goes off, This of course only happens when I am about to take an important family picture!!Its as if the camera is working in reverse , Help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4281
Lizzy return the camera and get a different brand from a camera that is actually made by a camera maker. You did not do anything wrong, you just bought the wrong camera.

Sheena,
I hate to tell you this but the camera needs to be repaired or replaced. It is not an emotional thing that just makes decisions based on how important the event it is being used for:-)

Unregistered guest
i have a sony cybershot T1. i lost my C D . I want to load the programs through the net can i?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4341
try the sony website. You don't really need a CD.

Anonymous

For those people who get a black screen but can see their own pictures, apparently the plastic catch on the battery door breaks really easily and this affects the 'taking the picture' ... thing.

Not sure how to fix it.

Is trying sellotape.

Unregistered guest
Ian5281:
"'Turn the power off and on again' message... ....inside of the lens cover...There is a little motor that moves a ring gear around the lens cover...Move that ring gear to open the lens cover...."

Ian, you are THE man; thanks! That fixed it real good.

Here's another fix I found tonight. My DSC-P32 worked great for nearly 2 years, then it repeatedly complained about flat batteries and shut the camera down, especially when the flash was charging. The problem was definitely NOT the batteries (trust me). I cracked open the box and removed the circuit board assembly, then removed the top circuit board from that(careful does it, oh- and don't touch the flash capacitor- it hurts like hell). There are 4 wires that connect to the batteries; 2 on each terminal. The connections are insulation displacement type, i.e., solder free. Notoriously unreliable especailly when supplying lots of current (when charging a flash for example); infamous as 'scotch locks' in the automotive industry. So I removed the wires carefully from the battery terminals, stripped and tinned a very tiny piece of the end of the wires, tinned the battery terminal tabs, and soldered the wires on to the battery terminal tabs, making sure no wire or solder sticks out. (it was a bit fiddly; if you don't have a fine-tipped quality soldering iron, give the job to your mate who does have one).

Works now- happy!!!!!! Hope this helps someone out.

Rhys:-)

lisaru
Unregistered guest
To the 12/5 response regarding the plastic catch breaking easliy on the battery door. How do you know if that is broken? I too am having the same problem as Amber.

GlasgowScotland

Following on to my message of 19/11, re Sony cybershot dsc 72, another problem I had was that the batteries only lasted for about 5 pictures then had to be replaced, The camera repair shop said yesterday the flat rate charge for this model was Ł165, It cost me not much more than that to buy it 3 years ago, so I guess its off to the P72 graveyard.

Jane Applewood
Unregistered guest
I have the same power problem as many others. Power up the camera and the lens retracts. Power it off and the lens comes out. Frustrating! This camera (p72) is barely a year old.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4453
It should still be under warranty. Return it for a replacement or repair.

Anonymous

I have only had my Sony Cybershot for 6 months now, and when I turn it on, the lens doesn't move and it starts making weird buzzing noises. I took it to the beach recently and some sand fell into the lens. After opening the camera and removing all the sand, it's still not functioning correctly. Would I be able to exchange my camera for a new one as it is still under warranty? What do you recommend?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4482
You could try it but with Sony's customer service they may determine that the damage was done due to negligence or abuse. They do that regardless, so be prepared to pay for repairs.

Tejas
Unregistered guest
Hey everyone,

I've just finished repairing one of the lens doesn't open, "turn power off and on" message errors. Yes, it is most probably a problem with the gears that open the lens cap. Here's a pretty detailed walkthrough (I hope, at least) for anyone still dealing with it (and I imagine others in future).

Be aware that you'll have to open up the camera - so expect to be pretty handy with a screwdriver and tight spaces.

I worked on a DSC-P41, and I suppose it's about the same as most of the other Pxx series.

---------------------------
Part 1: Opening the Camera

First off, you'll need to open the camera. Take out the batteries, memory card. There are 4 small silver screws you need to take out - two on the bottom, and 2 on the side, inside the battery/memory card compartment. Once those are out, just split open the case (it should pull apart, but don't do it TOO roughly)

Once you open it up, you'll have to work at it to remove. There are two main pieces - a big chunk of silicon on the left and another smaller chunk on the right. Though they are seperate, they're pretty tied together by the flat plastic (brownish) interconnects. You'll find some smaller screws here and there all over the place - I unscrewed most of them, but I'm not sure if I really needed to do any. In any case, just remember to screw them back in (although I don't think it's a BIG deal if you forget a few - the whole thing will be pretty put together once the case is back on anyway.

Anyhow, just keep working on removing the two main pieces - start with the bigger one on the left, and then do the one on the right. The one on the right contains the actual lens, and once that is off, you'll see a small cylindrical thing wrapped in black tape (looks like a capacitor), and beneath it a black box contraption, with a white gear sticking out on the bottom, which turns (as you'll see) the gear which opens up the lens.

There is one screw, on that small black box under the cylindrical object wrapped in black tape. Remove that, and you should be able to remove the black taped cylindrical object and the black box together.

Part 2: Assessing what's wrong
---------------------------------------------
There could be a number of things wrong, in a number of different places. As some have already suggested, the gears themselves can be broken (although I find this pretty unlikely - it didn't seem likely that the plastic would break or chip). Much more likely is that the gears are just jammed. In my case (I'm not sure - it was a friend's camera), all of the gears were just encrusted with sand and dirt, which locked them up (I guess she dropped it in the sand or something).

Anyhow, the black cylinder/black box should be removed by now, and you can access the front face plate easily. Just rotate the little half-gear which controls the lens cap, clockwise (looking from the inside of the faceplate), and the lens cap should open. If you have some trouble moving it (it should glide fairly effortlessly), you might have some sand (or other gunk) stuck in there. I just rinsed the front faceplate under the sink (remember, it should be all plastic, just the front faceplate - otherwise you haven't completed removed all the parts), while opening and closing the lens cap under running water. After awhile I guess all of the sand washed out and it moved open and shut very easily.

The second thing that can go wrong is that the gears themselves are locked up. That small black box thing is the compartment which contain the gears, and that cylinder wrapped in black tape is actually the motor. There are three screws on the bottom of the black box (under the metal plate) - 2 silver ones and a black one. The black one actually holds it together, and the silver ones attach the cylindrical motor to the box. Remove all three, and open the black cover, with the metal plate facing down. Do it VERY carefully - and the right side up (metal plate on bottom) - otherwise the gears will fall all over the place. There are 5 gears, which are set onto three poles. The big white one on the bottom, on its own pole, and then two parallel poles which hold 2 each.

Now, before you take them out, you can do a quick test. Spin the big white wheel on the bottom, and also spin the pinkish wheel on top - if the whole mechanism spins freely from both sides, then the gears are good. Otherwise (and this is probably the main problem), the gears actually lock up - your gears are broken, like some suggested (although not likely) or you have sand or dirt in the gears (the most probable - you should be able to see any dirt clearly).

If there is dirt, take each one out, and MAKE SURE you mark what order and which poles the gears go on - otherwise it won't turn properly if you put them back in the wrong order. You can rinse each one under the sink, which removes most of it. After that, I'd recommend you get a very thin thing - like a very then sewing needle or something, so you can scrap out the specks of dirt which remain between the grooves. You need to get EVERYTHING out - even the tiniest specks can lock the whole thing up. If you think you've got it, reassemble all the gears, and spin it again, to see if everything spins perfectly. You might also want to use some force when it locks up, and push it hard enough to spin - it might be easier to break any dirt off that way.

The third thing that can be wrong is the motor itself. You can assess it, but it's a bit tricky - you'll need to find a way to put the battery compartment's cap back on (it's on the front face plate, which is seperated. I took the compartment door off of the front face plate completely, although it took me a long time to put it back (specifically, remembering how the spring fit - I'd suggest taking a picture with another camera or drawing it out before I removed the door).

Anyhow, assuming you'll find someway, put two batteries in, and pressing the compartment door against it, use your other hand to turn the power on - put all your fingers on plastic, and avoid touching any of the silicon or metal parts of the inside camera. Anyhow, as you turn it out, observe the motor and see if it spins. If it spins, you're good, but if it doesn't, then you're definitely in a bit of a jam, unless you can find a spare motor somewhere (maybe try manually twisting the gear at the end of the motor - it might just be jammed by more sand)

Part 3: Make sure it all works

So, assuming that you've fixed problems in the three main areas where they might occur: the half-gear on the frontplate controlling the actual lens cap, the gears within the black compartment, and the cylindrical motor, you'll have to put it all together. I would start with the motor and black gear box first. Screw that back together (put the silver screws back on), and turn the camera on - if it works, you should be able to see the white gear at the bottom spin. If it doesn't, you might not have cleaned out the gears thoroughly enough - split the motor/gear box apart, test to see if the motor still works, then re-clean out the gears as necessary. If you're certain that the gears are clean (as I was), try this: put the motor/gearbox back together. Then, use your finger and spin the white gear at the bottom - it won't do it easily, but push it hard enough until you reverse-spin the motor itself (a distinctive feel). Then turn the camera on and try that. If your motor works (it spins by itself on startup), it's just that your gears aren't working. Clean them, and try again.

Once you get that to work, make sure you have all three screws for the motor/gearbox back on, then screw it (the one screw) back onto the front plate. It'll be a bit hard to manuever, so maybe just put the whole thing back onto the front plate (don't worry about screws and securing it just yet). Turn the camera on, and the front lens should open. Voila, it works now! If not (the lens cap still doesn't open), then you might still have a problem with your gears, or that hafl-gear on the front plate which actually controls things.

Assuming everything works now, just put everything back together, and screw it in.

If you have any more specific questions, I'll try to answer what I can from memory, as I don't have the camera on hand anymore. You can email me at computerfreek129@yahoo.com or I also have AIM at TejasTheory.

Anonymous

Have a DSC-P71 camera with the same 'turn power on & off" msg.

Followed the instructions from Tejas to open it up. For DSC-P71 it's 1 black screw on top, 2 silver on bottom & 1 silver on side (next to handle thing).
Powered it up when in 2 pieces and pushed on plastic behind lens motor. The lens came out and sorted itself. All back together & working a treat.

Didn't even need to take the silicon out.

Fantastic & thanks for the help all....

Jane Applewood
Unregistered guest
Good news!! If you are having power problems with the P72 Cybershot (power it on, lens retracts, power it off, lens comes out).... Clean the contacts on the battery door. I just rubbed them with my shirt.. nothing fancy.

I did this over a week ago and my camera has been working perfectly without a glitch! (I took tons of pictures over Christmas without a problem)

Give it a try!! I hope this helps someone else. I really like this camera and am simply thrilled to have it working again.

Happy New Year.

NatureFreak
Unregistered guest
Kudos to you Jane!!!!!!!! The cleaning trick worked.My P72 is more than 2 yrs now. Was breaking my head for a new camera(confused what to buy!!) becos of the P72 problems. I wudn't lokk for buying another one until my revived P72 dies completely.

Regards,
Nature Freak.

lindaphreak
Unregistered guest
I love this site.

Username: Absolut_fer

Hello...I have P72 but beer fell into the lens. It takes pictures without problem but when i switch on the camera, the plastic cover that protects the objective doesnt leave completely and i have to help with finger. To switch off there is no problem. I think that there is somethign sticky in the mechanism to remove the plastic cover...How can i open the objective (with low risk to destroy :D) to clean or solve the problem?Is it easy?Thank you a lot.The problem is that camera is not mine...borrowed and i want to give it back to the owner perfect as it was...Poor me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4898
Seeing that you spilled beer into the camera, can you really, in good conscience, claim that the camera is going to be returned to the owner as perfect as it was?

What you are trying to do is deceive whoever it was from whom you've borrowed the camera. I sure don't want anyone borrwing my stuff and have them opening it up after they screwed with it and then pretend they took care of it.

Poor you? You need to get that camera fixed the proper way. What about the owner you are trying to fool that they still have a perfectly working camera? And you are no authorized camera repair center!

GlasgowScotland

Post Number: 3
following on my message of 12/8, I saw on sony website a message about a fault in some models including DSC_P72, which sounded like the one I had with my 2year old camera. I phoned then sent my camera to them with a letter, as instructed , saying do not repair if it was not this fault, When I phoned again after 2 weeks, I was told it was "just a lens fault" and they had repaired it, and were now awaiting payment of the standard charge Ł114.Ignoring my letter was just a slip up apparently, and they should have told me before repairing it. After my ranting and raving, they agreed to cancel the charge as" a good will gesture", which I thought was a bit of a cheek

Gold Member

Post Number: 5286
This is good to hear. :-)

Haniwow
Unregistered guest
I've have a DSC P32 for just over a year, and it working fine, till today when it suddenly went out completely. I put new batteries in, and it refuses to turn on. Anyone out there know what could be wrong. Is there a lock that i might have accidently pushed?
Thanks.,

Anonymous

I have a sony cybershot DSC-P12 and i recently went to charge it over night because it was almost dead. The next morning i went to take it off and it was burning up it was so hot i couldn't even touch it. Now it won't even turn on the green little light by the power button just blinks and thats it. and it doesn't charge anymore even though it says it is.... What do I do?

Unregistered guest
I have started to get the "No memory stick" message too on all of my three memory sticks. They work fine in the card readers I have. Sometimes they do work in my p92 camera, the next time not. But the frequency of failure is increasing. Did you remove part of the camera's casing to even see or access these connections? Where did you get such a small screw driver?

Username: Xjeffs

Just spreading the news about P72 problems. If your camera powers on but the screen is black, there is a free repair from Sony for this, even if it's out of warranty.

I also had the power on then off and fixed it by cleaning the battery contacts, and later with new rechargeable batteries.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=95&mdl=DSCP72

Username: Comotu58

I have a Sony DSC-S40. It was working Ok, but yesterday I turned it on and I found a WHITE LCD. Camera working but I can not see any picture that I took.
I appreciate if someone can help me to fix by myself.

Username: Comotu58

I have a Sony DSC-S40. It was working Ok, but yesterday I turned it on and I found a WHITE LCD. Camera working but I can not see any picture that I took.
I appreciate if someone can help me to fix by myself this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7477
What did you do? Did you drop it, slammed it, got it wet? Return or repair via Sony or some other technician/repair shop.

Check the manual if you can re-set it to facotry specs.

Username: Terynd

Charlotteq, N C USA

I have a dsc-p73 that has been great. I am having a problem taking pics because the lens won't stay out. Have no problem viewing pictures but after a attempts at turning on, the camera cuts itself of. Any suggestions?

Username: Kis_úttörő

BudapestHungary

Hey All! - a possibly solution!

I've got the same problem as Amber, mtnsundance, samk, idontnowhattodo, jonny333, exactchange, sheena mckay, Jane Applewood, and the others: the black screen and the weird moving of the lens after turning on.
However today I have the answer, this malfunction was occused by the accumulators. As the technician said, they needs special care of charging time and capacity displayed on screen. That's because the power-comsumption is different in playback and in capture mode, so the battery-symbol shows other values.
Hope it was helpful. This topic is so doll - i like it!

Username: Sky1emt

USA

THANK YOU JANE APPLEWOOD! I started having problems with my 1yr old Sony DSC-P41 a couple of days ago. It started shutting off only after a second or two and then today it would not turn on at all-even with new batteries.. I was just about to throw a fit as my daughter is graduating this friday and I cannot afford a new camera. I just happened apon this site looking for anything to help.. Cleaning the connections on the battery door did the trick.. Thanks a bunch!!
It's kinda scary reading all the other problems people are having with these Sony cameras, I love this one and would hate to have to replace it with something else anytime soon.. (and yeah I agree with you Berny - when I do buy another camera it will be from a real camera dealer)

Username: Bathedinshadow

Lot's of info here. I am having pretty much the same problem as everybody else. However, I have a slightly different model. I have the DSC-P200.

Today I went to turn the camera on and there was a little flash that said "E:61" and it continued to flash. So I turned it off and back on and then I started getting the whole "turn your camera off and on again" message. The lense is now not retracting into the camera and it won't take a picture either. I have contacted sony and discovered the $181.00+ tax fee. SO ridiculous!

I see that some people have been opening the camera up and fixing it themselves. However, my camera is a slighly different model... so perhaps things aren't exactly the same. Any help???

In addition, if this won't work, can anybody recommend a similar camera of a different brand? I'm looking for at least 7.2 mega pixels.

Thanks.

Username: Driojas

I have a DSC-P41 with the turn on turn off again message, I will probably end up opening it myself and trying to solve the problem before paying for repair. I'm taking a trip in 2 weeks, can someone please recommend a nice digital camera under $300.00 dlls?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8732
Take a look at the Casio Exilim series.

Username: Sawlenas

Post Number: 7
the turn on turn off again message usually comes out when the gears are broken. i fixed couple dsc-p72 and dsc-p92 with stuck lens. those gears were broken everytime.
so now i have some gear sets left for dsc-p72/92 (they are the same). please visit my ebay store where you can buy them for 10$ including shipping worldwide.
this is the link for dsc-p92, where you can see the pictures i have posted.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/photography/14692.html

and my store:
http://stores.ebay.com/fotique

Username: Crashthemilo10

i can view my photos when i turn on the camera in play mode, but when i switch it to take the photo mode the lens doesnt pop out or open up. it sounds like it is trying to , but cant. any help would be greatly appreciated. i dont want to waste money on another camera

Username: Edder2000

I have a sony dsc-s40 and the lense is broken. When I turn on the camera, the lense won't come out, and the motor just keeps on running. I have opened and tooken out the lense and put it back in, but the lense still won't come out. The cameras LCD was white before, but I just squish my camera and the screen goes back to normal. I want to know if I can buy a lense and I will be able to put the new lense in the camera.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9225
One question...you opened the lens, took it out and put it back in...why were expecting it to get fixed? Is this a repair procedure? I don't think it is!

You can buy a lens, contact Sony and be ready with a part number.

If you already took out the lens and put it back in, don't you think you do so with a new lens?

Username: Farrah

My Cyber-Shot DSC-P71 does everthing EXCEPTS IT DOES NOT TAKE A PICTURE. Sony's technical helpdesk did not work, and the repair exceeds the value of the camera. I hate to trash it can anyone PLEASE HELP ME. THe power comes on every feature functions normally except for taking a photo, that button does not do anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9291
Farah,
As much as you hate to trash the camera, I'm afraid it is time to do just that.

Username: Just_m_2004

right
i ghave a sony dsc p12
had it about a year maybe just over
and ever since last night, when i turn it on the green light just flashes and then it turns off.
i thought maybe it was out of battery so plugged it into the charger- and the light which shows it is charging also just flashes.
i charged it for about 3 hours.
it didnt help
any of you know what this means?
would be so much help if you could fix it for me! or point me in the right direction.
thanks.

Username: Lovelysun

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania United States

Is there anyway for me to turn the flash on for my sony dsc-s40? I've had it for awhile and the flash worked at one time but I think I somehow turned it off..could anyone help me?

Thanx

http://www.ksat.com/money/10390192/detail.html?rss=ant&psp=news

Check with Sony.com to see if your model is associated with the recall.

Username: Mj_king_168

I have a Sony DSC-P71. Everything seems to "work"; except, for the shutter button. It does not function. Is this a contact problem? Appreciate if there is any smart idea (besides throwing it in the trash).

EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about to trash my Sony DSC-P71 because of this problem; i.e., everything seems to be in order except for the shutter button, pressing it and nothing happens. The problem started about half a year ago. So last night, I thought I will give it a last chance...checking for some smart idea on the web. In addition, I tried connecting the camera to my PC via the USB port. Turning on and off the camera, twice, after viewing the last photos recorded on the memory stick.

Lord and behold, after I unplugged the camera from the PC. The shutter button started clicking again. It must be some kind of frozen logic the last time it was connected to the PC for downloading. The camera must have been improperly disconnected and was left in a hybernating state.

Please be patient with the shutter button. After the thing came back to life last night, I found I have to hold it half way down for a while and let it focus, before it would click. The auto focusing seems be to lagging. A flashing green light should show up on the LCD screen. Once it stops flashing, you can then press the shutter button the rest of the way.

Well, I hope my Sony DSC-P71 would continue to work as I really like this camera. And, hope the above would do the same for your Sony DSC-P71.

Are you sure your memory stick wasn't full? It sounds like the shutter wouldn't work cause it was out of storage space.

No, The memory stick wasn't full.

Username: Elgiant

hi, I have a dsc-p72. The power light only blinks when opened then turns off. Sometimes the red light in front also blinks. I really hope someone can help me here. Before, my problem was the lens. When I opened the unit to check on it, the camera refused to power on completely. Maybe some of you had this similar problem before and had it fixed. Thanks.

Username: Xxvjvxx

had same problem with Sony Cs. P31 camera would not power on.opting not to toss out the camera i opened it up and reset the lens cover and cleaned the battery terminals and presto camera powered up and works fine now. this was due to to cover position switches. hint they kinda look like fangs.i also had to bend the end hooks on the lens cover return spring.my guess was the spring was not providing enough tension to trigger said switch.anywho thanks for the info for fixing my cam .anyone with a p31with this issue can e mail me for further instruction@ xxvjvxx@hotmail.com ill be happy to help if i can

Username: Mrstrout07

Columbus, Ohio Usa

So i have a Sony DSC-s40 and i left it connected to the computer for a few hours...I cam home and unplugged it and tried to turn it on and it wouldn't come on. I put new batteries in it and it came on the a few seconds later it shut off again. If i put it on the view mode it will stay on but it won't stay on for longer that 30 seconds to let me take pictures..if you can help email me at dweltsugaro@msn.com i would really apreciate it!
Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us