Digital Cameras Brands

Username: Acelias

BeirutLebanon

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I wanna buy a new digital camera. I'm considering the three brands: Sony, Canon, and Nikkon.
Which brand u advise me to check for?
thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2822
Canon or Nikon will be great.
Check for user control features and how fast it can turn on.

Jo Blow
Unregistered guest
yes Berny how fast a camera turns on is REALLY important in photography :-)

seriously dude..if u want to plug your D70 everywhere there are other ways than being intellectually dishonest.

Anonymous

uh-oh troll alert!

Bronze Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 62
Canon or Nikon. Sony is a consumer electronics company (and now a poor one at that), Canon and Nikon have been making cameras for a very long time and truly are the big dogs in the industry.

And, yes response time is very important and varies widely between cameras. Having both a Coolpix 995 and now a Canon 20D there is a huge difference in response time (and price!). The Coolpix can take 5-10 seconds to boot up and shutter response can be leisurely; I've learned to anticipate it, but there's still lost shots. The 20D turns on *right now* and shutter response is instant. It does make a difference.

Your best bet is narrow down what features you want, your budget and go into a shop to play with a camera for a while.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2904
A Canon user, finally! How's that Canon treating you? What type of photography do you do?

Some people just don't understand the value of camera response time.
There is nothing like fumbling and waiting for your camera to turn on when that special moment is over in just a few seconds. Even a 3 second delay for a camera to activate is a very long time.
Jo Blow, I could plug my D2X but not everybody is willing to plop that type of cash just for a camera that turns on real FAST:-) seriously dude what camera do you recommend?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
I'm loving it. I spent about a month agonizing over D100 vs 20D & got my decision made for me. I'm not at all sorry. The response time is amazing, instant response just like a film camera. This is my first Canon, last camera was the Nikon 995.

The sensor constantly amazes me; I just went to Sea World & had great success in the Wild Arctic tanks--late afternoon, indoor viewing for the tanks & low light. I set it to ISO 3200 to avoid using flash & got several great shots--some ended up actually letting me see the walrus blow bubbles better than live! No color shift & an amazingly low noise level at that speed.

I'm willing to try my hand at just about anything; mainly landscapes, autos, and stage shows right now. I'm starting to dabble in studio portraits--boy can that be tough!

BTW, if I had the cash I wouldn't think twice about getting the D2X.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2918
For Canon guy, i'm thinking you should get your hands on the EOS 1d mk2. Absolutely amazing camera.

I just took delivery of a D2X and I can't wait to put it through the wringer.

Bronze Member
Username: Crit

Holland, OH USA

Post Number: 15
what exactly is "ISO" and "noise level"?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2924
go here

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_iso.html

Bronze Member
Username: Crit

Holland, OH USA

Post Number: 18
thanks man. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Me a Canon guy? I guess so. I really don't care about the brand wars on the forums, they are tools & both Nikon & Canon get the job done very well. If I could have afforded any of the 1D's I might very well have gone with the D2X. Keep in mind my only lens is the kit lens right now--starting from ground zero (ok, maybe -1 with a few Nikon accessories for the 995). :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2930
Might as well drop the 995....You probably won't use it anymore now that you have the Canon...you can send it to me ;)

Your next purchase should be a decent speedlight. The built-ins are going to be inadequate. Then how about, a nice 70-200, f/2.8? I highly recommend that glass for the Canon. After that your journey to the dark side will be complete...and then you can't stop. Because you'll be wanting to get a decent tripod and a ball head and softboxes....aaaargh!

Actually that sounds a lot like me when I started, yikes!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Too late on all counts! LOL :-) The 995 goes to the wife who is now interested in photography (entirely my fault) and is developing a darn good eye already.

I have about $4k+ on my wishlist, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, RRS BH-55 (or the -40 when it comes out), one of the Bogen tripods...

I do have light stands and some worklights alongwith a '70's Vivitar 283 for studio lighting for now, but those Alien Bees sure look nice. ...STOP ME, PLEASE!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us