Which camera for 28-200mm range?

Unregistered guest
Still searching for a digital to replace my manual focus SLR for a trip. I think I might be shooting more wide angle (going to China). I've thought about Oly C-770, and the Panasonic FZ20, but now realize, I may want more wide angle and some zoom, but not the max zoom.

suggestions? Thank you!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2723
What is your budget? What was your SLR?
Have looked at the Nikon D70, the Canon Digital Rebel,Canon 20D?

The olympus and panasonic do not have the versatility of your older SLR. No lens changes, and the specialized lens you can get are way too expensive for any practical purpose. The battery life is not very long and will not last you a day's trip, you will need to bring a few battery backups.

judyg
Unregistered guest
I was shopping in the $500 range. The D70 looked like it was running about $1000, altho would probably do everything I need.

Battery backups - I haven't considered how many I might need. 15 day trip.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2724
I haven't read any reviews about the battery life of these cameras. But if they are anything like most point and shoot digitals, it will probably last about an hour on 1 charge and probably less if you are using the LCD and flash constantly. So bring plenty of battery back up if there are no chargers ready.

Another thing thing to consider, does the camera turn on instantly? Most of these, take about 5 seconds to turn completely on, enough time to miss plenty of good shots.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us