Transfer movies from mini dv cassette to dvd via computer

Username: Laura_henry

Haddenham, Bucks UK

Post Number: 1
Please can you help! I would like to transfer film from mini dv cassette (ntsc format) to dvd via my computer. I have microsoft movie maker 2.1 installed and am using Windows XP. Do I need additional software, hardware or peripherals to do this?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2688
Do you have a DV output on your camera?
Do you have an IEEE1394(firewire) on your computer?

Unregistered guest
booya-I just lost my f***ing firewire. This is reall pissing me off. Keep in mind that firewire is probably the best way to go for instant gratification without paying high costs. Looks like I gotta buy another one tomorrow. !!!! dog gone it!

Unregistered guest
Sony Vegas, or Adobe Premier are the two most outstanding movie makers. I use the Sony Vegas software to make our Church programs for TV. I use DV Architect software for burning the discs. This will convert DVC to DVD. Takes a while to learn, but quality is outstanding. Make sure your PC is powerful enough. An hour of Movie making using a lot of space.

There is also an easier way, if you don't have a PC or one that is not powerful enough, and you simply want to convert your dv tape in its original form. Your will need a DVD recorder with a firewire port. I bought one for just over $161. It is a Samsung model # DVD-R120, and Best Buy sells it. (if you go on line under Best Buy for a coupon it is cheaper, and they will honor your online coupon.) Best of luck.

Unregistered guest
I have heaps of mini Digital video cassettes that I want transferred to DVD the original camera was stolen so cannot play back. Does anyone know a reliable (relatively cheap) service that would be able to do this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3307
you can try these guys. There's plenty of service like that...try google.
http://www.high-techproductions.com/mini%20dv%20to%20dvd.htm

Unregistered guest
is there such an adapter that i can use to watch my sister wedding? it is on a mini dv tape. my video camera is an 8mm. please help

Gold Member

Post Number: 4478
If there is I have not seen one. However there is a JVC miniDV player, but it is not cheap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us