Do I need a SLR?

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 117
Hi, quick newbie question. I got a cheap HP digital camera as a Christmas gift a few years back and love it but two BIG issues, number one if I use the viewfinder instead of the LCD when I am taking the picture of course the actual picture is framed no where close to what I saw in the viewfinder, so I always use the lcd. Then there is always a big delay from when I push the button to take the picture to when the picture is actually taken.

So, looking at newer models. I want to be able to use the viewfinder to take the picture, and what I see in the viewfinder is what I want the picture to be, so in effect I know that this is what an SLR will do for me, but is there any other reason to look at these? I like the looks of the digital Rebal but at almost 1000 bucks this is way more then I can afford. I would like the camera to actually look like a camera also, and there are some Fuji and HP's and others that are 4-5 MP and are in my price range (400 or less) but if they are not SLR I take it that the viewfinder is not an accurate rep of what the picture will be? Or am I wrong. It has been years since I have purchased a camera so I am very rusty on some of the terminology and the way things work now. I do remember that my dad told me that the single lens reflex will show you exactly how the picture will come out as you are looking through the lens when you are taking the pic, or am I wrong? I would be happy with a non slr as long as the viewfinder is somewhat accruate, can anyone help?

Thanks
Mike

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1851
Unfortunately, the time lag on a point and shoot digital camera prohibits what you get on the viewfinder. With the price range you've set, there's not a lot of choices. Look what Nikon Coolpix, Olympus Camedia, Canon and Minolta. The time lag is minimal on some of these models, but it is still no SLR.

check this out
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2dig.htm

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 118
Thanks very much for the info and the link that answers my questions and tells me what I needed to know, thanks again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us