VA Earthquake and Hurricane Irene

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 2057
So has anyone felt the 5.8 magnitute of the earthquake that happened two days ago? It was my first quake and was definitely quite the experience. I'm in NY and only felt small rumbles which sort of shook me up. I can imagine the people in California just laughing at us.

Now Hurricane Irene is approaching and watches/warnings are being posted for the east coast. Is anyone going to get effected by this?
I'm about a mile away from the shore and as of now there is no evacuation. However, residents in NJ are starting to evacuate. I don't know how much to prepare for this as we never (or at least I never) have hurricanes or storms of this strength or nature.

Could just imagine the worst case scenario that they claim can happen, absolutely mind boggling. Could just pray to God that all ends well.

Anyone been through these? I mean being right next to the 'eye' of the hurricane? I'm super excited but also super scared that homes will be damaged, people may be hurt, there may be no electricity, and things will not be the same for a while - if we do see a worst case scenario.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2058
By the way, for the religious folks on E, there has been lot of talk in my office that these occurrences are very tiny to what lays in the future for mankind. Fellow employees are saying that these are signs for Judgement Day. Their main reason seems to go back to the bill passed for g@y marriages.

I personally do not have anything against g@y people. Even know/work with some g@y people. (And why can't E let me type g@y??)

However, my religion is against this. What are your guys thoughts?

Just talk? Or do you beleive this can be true?

(Is this even worthy to be part of a thread?)
Let's discuss. OT has been pretty dead along with all of E.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4944

quote:

Fellow employees are saying that these are signs for Judgement Day. Their main reason seems to go back to the bill passed for g@y marriages.

Bahahaha wow what a bunch of f@#$ing morons.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2060
Lol yea but they are not bad people. Better than having @ssholes as employees in corporate world.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 25056
Experienced the quake first hand inside a 2 story metal framed building. We thought a semi had ran into the side of it. My computer screens were swaying back and forth and we all ran outside out of pure instinct. Afterwards I had a difficult time recalling our exact experience as an adrenaline rush kind of made the facts melt away.

It's amazing. Within 4 minutes we all knew what happened, why, where the epicenter was and already had instructions on aftershocks. How? The smart phone. Within seconds there were millions of tweets and FB posts. Anyone with a handheld was in the now.

Irene is on a dead path for us and my gameroom is still drying out from the monsoon we endured several weeks ago. Adding a potentional 10"+ of rain to a record month already and a LOT of ppl will be experiencing flooded basements and the like. My homeowner's already contacted me with additional numbers they have set up for claims. Power outages are an almost certainty and the store shelves are all bare of bottled water and non perishable food.

Ice is being sold at black market prices and anyone with a generator or industrial pump will be the envy of thousands. I myself have to secure my gutters and downspouts and pray for Mother Nature's mercy. All major roads leading towards the shore will be blocked and there will be 10's of thousands evacuated with no place to go as all the hotels will be packed for MILES. They too will be profiteering off this charging a minimum $150/night I hear. The local gas stations have raised their prices by $.20/gal overnight as expected and many grocery stores have instilled the fear factor on their customers by duct taping all the windows. (Makes them shuffle their feet faster buying all those necessities).

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 12140
Well. Let's see. The earthquake epicenter was roughly 20-25 miles from me and now this hurricane is barreling down on not only my house but my beach house in the Outer Banks. I went down last night to board up but some of the residents told us and I quote word for word; "Why are you guys bothering to board up? Nothing is going to be left after this storm." It's like a goddamn funeral service going on in my house right now unfortunately. The Weather Channel is on all day just watching it. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope the house is still there Sunday.

As far as g@y marriage goes, I think it's a joke people are saying passing the bill for that is what is causing these disasters and this and that. If the religious nutjobs would get their head out of their azz, they'd realize they are the dumbest and most ignorant part of our country. I believe in God and all that but I'm not going to try and say legalizing g@y marriage is causing all this. If they were smart enough they would realize their God made those people that way....and save the "they choose that life" argument and find a real one.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5500
Rain here now..Expexting tropical storm tomorrow mid day. Nothing to panic about imo.. I will tie down my bbq, thats about it.. And I got a pool full of water to sell if needed..$$$$$ idk, maybe $ 4 a gallon?

Worst part is a spl show i planned on going to tonight was canncelled.The only one i planned on going to this year.

as far as the earthquake on the east coast, it was a continental adjustment caused from the Colorado quake like 6 hours before. the plates are always moving, usually very slowly like 1-2 cm a year, I bet the latested quakes only slipped them about 4-6cm at most..Gravity>Religion....

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 2061
Excellent point Yanks. My thoughts exactly. If they believe in God, than they believe that God is the creator. Therefore, God created people the way he did (black/white/g@y/straight/dumb/smart/etc..)

I bought the last 3 bags of charcoal from Home Deport and a propane tank...just in case lights/gas went out and all. My neighborhood did not get effected by Irene at all so now I have 3 bags of charcoal and an extra propane tank lol. I guess I will have to make the best of Labor Day weekend and BBQ my @ss off. Propane i can probably use for next year BBQs but I don't want nor do i have space for the coals.

How did it end up for you Paul? And everyone else in the path?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25059
I got water in my gameroom comparable to the storm 2 weeks before. Nothing tragic and I've dealt with more in the past. Sunday's wind was the nervous threat that pushed and pulled trees down all over. Power flickered but never went out fully. Irene was much tamer than expected.

My sister in VA got slammed. They lost power that didn't come back on until Wed-Thur. They lost all refrigerated/frozen food and they heard nothing but chainsaws and generators running for days. When the power eventually did come back on they went food shopping of course. The stores were all bare of the perishables too and hadn't got any in. She said it was so bizarre seeing all the empty freezers and such.

Nobody I know got hurt and other than some wet basements and lost food we dodged this one.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 12144
I've had this debate 1000 times Skullz and some people's opinions are just astounding lol.

Wow Paul, what area is she in? All I got was just a bunch of rain and a handful of power outages. The power company I'm with only lost power to 660 homes but Dominion Power here lost power close to 1 million homes. I'd assume your sister is in the Newport News/VA Beach area?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25060
Nah she's about 15 minutes south of Richmond. She showed me pics of trees that had 2' diameter trunks that were sheared clean off. They suspect a tornado as the culprit. They were lucky their house was spared, like so many others.

Silver Member
Username: Albino_midget

Post Number: 780
Irene caused the Mohawk River in NY to fill my basement (dirt floor , 1910- 2 family) and nearly a foot on the first floor with muddy water.

Life goes on...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25064
Sorry for your loss. Mother nature is blind to its' wrath.

I hope you had insurance and if not my heart goes out to you.

If you were my neighbor I'd have every tool/pump/generator I own working for you. I mean that.

Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Albino_midget

Post Number: 781
Paul Larrea, thank you .
I don't have flood insurance, my loss could total 30,000$ , its only thru wellwishes from you and others that give me strength to carry on.

..With a heavy heart,
Albino midget.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 12149
Best wishes AM.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us