Japan nuke workers have committed themselves to die if necessary

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16971
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110401/ts_yblog_thelookout/japan-nuke -workers-have-committed-themselves-to-die-if-necessary

The mother of one of the atomic "samurai" working to bring Japan's stricken nuclear plant under control has said her son and his colleagues expect to die as a result of their efforts. Meanwhile, there are reports that additional workers are being offered big money to dash into the radiation-drenched heart of the Fukushima Daiichi plant, perform a job, then withdraw.

In a phone interview with Fox News, the tearful mother of a 32-year-old worker said: "My son and his colleagues have discussed it at length and they have committed themselves to die if necessary to save the nation."

"He told me they have accepted they will all probably die from radiation sickness in the short term or cancer in the long term," the woman added.

"They know it is impossible for them not to have been exposed to lethal doses of radiation."

The woman did not give her name, because she said the workers had been asked by management not to speak publicly about their ordeal, in order to minimize panic.

There are also indications that the workers aren't being provided with some crucial safety equipment. Japan's interior minister said that not all of the workers were given lead sheeting to protect themselves from the floor--which may be contaminated by radiation--while sleeping.

"My son has been sleeping on a desk because he is afraid to lie on the floor. But they say high radioactivity is everywhere and I think this will not save him," said the mother.

In another bleak sign, there are reports of additional workers being offered up to $5,000 a day to act as "jumpers"--so called because they "jump" into highly radioactive areas to quickly perform a task before fleeing with minimal exposure. But even at those rates, many candidates are turning the work down, Reuters reports.

"My company offered me 200,000 yen ($2,500) per day," one subcontractor in his 30s told a reporter."Ordinarily I'd consider that a dream job, but my wife was in tears and stopped me, so I declined."

And Ryuta Fujita, 27, told the Tokyo Shimbun newspaper he was offered $5,000 to go into Reactor 2, but likewise declined.

"I hear that guys older than 50 are being hired at high pay," Fujita said. "But I'm still young, and radiation scares me. I don't want to work in a nuclear plant again."

Last week two workers in Reactor 3 were taken to hospital after their feet were exposed to 170-180 millisieverts of radiation. The average dose for a worker at a nuclear plant is 50 millisieverts over 5 years.

Because so few workers want to venture into the plant, it's proving hard for TEPCO, that company that runs it, to assess whether efforts to cool the fuel rods are working, or even to fully diagnose the problems.

Robots are usually used for this type of work, but Fukushima's interior is so filled with debris that it's difficult for robots to operate there.

(A young boy is screened for radiation contamination before entering an evacuation center in Fukushima, Japan, April 1, 2011.: Wally Santana/AP)

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5911
We can send a rover to Mars yet we can't design a radioactive-proof suit? WTF. Some brave people over there in Japan. The only Americans that would agree to do this for their country are drug addicts and the insane.

The USA is the greatest country in the world? That is an ancient fairy tale that needs to be put to bed once and for all. It may have been true way back when, but nowadays we would be lucky to crack the top 10.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24563
At some point the money is no longer an issue of debate. Personally if it were me (and I'm only speculating) and I knew I was already exposed to lethal amounts, what would the purpose of the "bribe" be then? Put my azz on a double shift. Don't risk other people if I'm already doomed. I'll feel better about my mortality knowing what I'm doing will save possibly millions of lives. Not to mention a few high schools with my name on them.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5913
Just to make clear about my post above. I am not anti-American, far from it. I love this country, but at some point we have to start being realistic. There are many, many countries who have a better financial system in place, less debt, less crime, an overall better way of life, and citizens who actually care about their country as opposed to the USA where people mainly care about money, and who they can sue next. Oh, and... they also don't have a closet Muslim idiot for a President. I still can't believe they nominated that assclown.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24565
I for one hear ya. The recession we're still in is bringing out the worst in not only everyone around you but the very government who created it. Cash strapped municipalities and cities are "forced" to extract as much cash as they can through down right immoral means. Excessive speed traps, bogus EZpass overcharges, local property tax reassessments, ect, ect. In Philly there is a lawyer suing the city due to all the BS "Live stop" incidents lately.

http://http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localphi/20110401/ts_yblog_localphi/attorne y-sues-philadelphia-after-daughter-stranded-by-live-stop

In the end all the "system" cares about is the future existence of it. Be it by increased tax burdens on the masses or increased unfair citations, tickets and surcharges. Has anyone closely looked at their phone/gas/electric bill lately? You'd be surprised at what they've been charging you for. Since 911 there are so many federal surcharges it makes your head spin.

Then you can take Obama's decision on the bank bailout and............................ya know what? Imma end it here before it ruins my Saturday evening.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us