HTC Droid Incredible

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4593
Posting this from my brand new smart phone. Anyone have the incredible? Seems pretty cool so far.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4594
This thread seemed like a brilliant idea at the time... guess I was overwhelmed by the excitement of the new phone.

Anyways, I'm loving this thing so far. It's light, sexy, and the size doesn't bother me at all, it's comfortable in my pocket. I've never had a smartphone before so I have very little experience using them, but the Incredible seems very intuitive to use. I'm already starting to pick up on all kinds of little features and functions, without having opened any manuals.

Also, the battery life seems really strong. I had read some criticism of droid battery life (probably a trade off for the superior speed to say an iPhone), but mine is going strong. Charged it fully before turning it on and activating it. Since then, I've been using it practically non-stop for five hours figuring things out, like way more than I would on an average day, and the battery life is still at like 90%!!

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3572
I love mine. Started with Moto Q then HTC Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro II and now the Incredible. Incredible is the best phone I've ever used/messed with. The battery life wont stay like that, I promise. I turn mine on at 4:30 and by 12, it needs to be charged. I don't use it a lot during that time period either. Great free apps, great paid apps and the HTC Sense is really cool/user friendly. It has a BAD ASZ still camera and the video isn't bad either. I will be hard pressed to leave an HTC/Andriod combo.

Rooting it... Thats a whole new level of nose bleeding speed

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23330
What did you pay for it and what plan are you under? I've seen the new Iphones and I guess because I'm partial to my Ipod touch it would just be a natural move for me.

I also suppose I don't want THAT big of an investment right now. I read on Yahoo somewhere that someone over seas invented a device that when connected to your Ipod touch turns it into a phone. Something like below $70 too!

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1103
I got an Incredible about 3 weeks ago, its my first ever smart phone. Took some getting used to but its definitely a great phone. What I like best is the quality of the pictures and videos. It also does very well on the web. 75% of my web browsing is done on my phone now vs. the computer. Most posts I make on here now are done from my phone. My battery life is bad though. I use my phone moderately and after 14 hours its at like 14% life and telling me to plug it up to charge. If I'm off from work and play on it alot, it can die in a matter of hours easy. They do however offer replacement batteries for better life.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4595
Paul, it was a special from Verizon that allowed me to opt out of my 2 year contract a year early, for a discount on an Incredible or X with 2 year contract. It was $200 after a $100 rebate in the form of a debit/check card which is pretty convenient.

Capps/SKD, that's interesting, and concerning about the battery life. How much have you guys tinkered with your settings and what apps are running etc? One of the reviews I read talked about being able to clean it up a bit from the way it comes out of the box in order to decrease the drain on battery life. I'll see if I can find the article.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23331
I ask because a buddy of mine has the new Iphone and after purchasing it and his $100/month for 2 years of charges it winds up being a $2600 investment. Shoot, I didn't even pay 1/3 that for my pc! These new phones are fun as heck but wow you have to know what you're getting into.

P.S. My battery life in my Ipod touch sucks balls. I can't even make it through a 2 hour movie before the batt dies. It was like that 1 month after purchasing too!

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3192
charge it fully while powered on. turn it off. plug it back in until the light is green. so far that method holds the longest charge i can get from mine.

fantastic phone, i've ranted in previous threads. haven't gone the way of rooting yet although i hear nothing but good things.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4596
What is this "rooting" business?

Paul, I wouldn't even consider a $100/month package. If that were all that was available, I would've declined getting a smartphone without thinking twice. I'm going from about $20/month, to like $30/month. Your buddy must be using his phone for internet services like all day long to pay that much.

P.S. Paul, why would you be using your iPod during a movie? lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23334
I meant watching a movie on my Ipod.

And yes, my buddy SLEEPS with his phone. He has unlimited data, text and phone usage on his plan. To sit with him at lunch is a trip. Head always down focused intently on that device. He says he doesn't use his pc at home anymore because of his mobile freedoms of the Iphone.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3193
i was under the impression unlimited data was required with the phone..

if you don't have that you aren't using it nearly to it's fullest potential. honestly there's no point in owning an incredible or like phone without it. you are effectively losing some of the best features (apps, internet, gps(?)) which the phone was basically made for.

rooting allows much more customization abilities. it's like using an administrator logon compared to a guest on a computer.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4598
Eric, I was mistaken, I do have unlimited data. I was right on the price though, it's $30/month. So I'm still not sure why Paul's friend has to pay so much.

What kind of apps do you guys have? I want to get some music on my phone (the default ringtones are awful), I want to get twitter so I can follow Conan O'Brien, and I also need Tumblr for work purposes. Looking at the app marketplace on this phone is pretty overwhelming.

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3573
Must have apps
-Astro>File Manager ("Linda" works good too)
Basketball Shot>Game
Bubble>An actual level (works good with my job)
DoubleTwist>Multimedia player
FourSquare>Fun "game" if you have enough friends in on it
FxCamera>Takes some interesting pics
Ringdroid>Edit mp3 files for ringtones
Shazam>Listens to songs over the radio or wherever and gives you name/artist/other info
TiKL>Touch to Talk
Urban Spoon>Shake it and it gives you a local place to eat at for when you cant decide

There are more that are cool like photoshop, PicSay Pro... Just felt like naming a few

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4599
Andrew, brace yourself, for I am about to ask a really pathetic question...

...so pathetic I'm literally embarrassed...

...How should I go about getting music on my phone? Not only have I never had a smartphone, I've never even had an iPod

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1109
The Droid is awesome for ring tones. You plug the phone up to the computer then choose to run it as a hard drive. From there you go into the phone from your computer, kind of like if you were getting pictures from a digital camera and you can put songs on the phone. Once you have placed the files on the phone, unplug it from the computer and go to the Music app. In there you can find your song, click menu and set it as a ring tone. You can also edit the song so whatever part of the song you want can be the actual ringer.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3195
^ that or if you have a SD slot on your computer just throw it in and go crazy.

what i have on my phone:

apps;
- alarm clock
- shopsavvy
- my verizon
- bump
- gstrings (guitar tuner)
- coin flip
- convertpad
- camera 360 and fxcamera
- simply draw
- runkeeper
- onion news
- movies
- ebay
- facebook
- USAA
- youtube

games;

- find it - family guy, south park, spongebob
- find differences
- sudoku free
- solitaire
- real blackjack
- math workout (highly recommend)
- air control
- jewels
- geoquiz
- super k.o.
- epic fails
- garden of weeden

only app i paid for is the last one.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1112
Something I find totally awesome with my phone also is google maps. It shows your exact location at all times. If you're on the road and you need to find something, you can google it, click on the get directions button and it will tell you how to get there from where you are. Its so accurate, I was showing my friends and not only was I at their house, I was off the road inside in the hoouse. By turning in a circle, my cursor on the screen moved the same.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3196
If you have Google latitude enabled along with a friend you can pinpoint each other on a map. Google sky is sweet too

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3574
Google maps/latitude is really sweet. There is also an app called Places that is neat if you are in an unfamiliar place and need gas/food and what not

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15189
I just purchased the samsung captivate (android) I got it by signing up to a new 2 year contract with att and I found the deal online that let me buy the phone for $9.99 but im paying 55 a month for the next two years...i had the vibrant before which is the same phone but sent it back when i found out I could get a better deal but that thing is a battery hog but much better with a app killer running in the back ground...I plan on buying two extra batteries from ebay and a charger for like 12 bucks that way if it goes dead ill just slap another battery in....that phone has awesome graphics too with 16 gig internal and you can slap a 32 gig micro sd card in there yet

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3200
so rumors of the 2.2 froyo update being sent out on the 18th turned out to be, well, just a rumor. hope it gets released soon..

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3205
like today

i've noticed a speed increase, 720p video, different options and small tweaks to the gui. battery life will be the next test as it has been said it would improve..

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1159
My phone has glitched up a couple of times now randomly. Both times its been in the morning after its been charging all night. The screen will move and slide like when you use your finger and its uncontrolable. I've turned the phone off and back on, that seems to correct it. Still just odd. I havn't dropped my phone or anything, I've been pretty careful with it.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1164
Wow, got the update on my Droid this morning and YouTube looks much better now. It also changed a few features in other programs I've noticed as well.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3207
yeah the flash update improved a lot of things, especially on websites. i can play vids on streetfire with no problem now. battery life still sucks though lol. i also enjoy the new messaging screen which they made more efficient.

funny you mention the phone glitching. i've heard from a few people that theirs is as well, but i have yet to have any problems with mine other than some programs FC'ing from time to time.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1173
My internet will sometimes just go away too. I'll be in the middle of posting a comment on here or something and it will just go back to the home screen. When I reclick on the internet app, instead of taking me back to where I was, it takes me to my defualt google screen, which means I have to redo whatever I was doing. That doesn't happen too often, but here and there. Little glitches can be annoying but for what the phone can do I'm still really happy with it. Its like having a computer in your pocket pretty much.

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2579
the data plan itself is 30/month. The talk and text are added on, on top of that, which makes most smart planes 59.99 and above depending on which carrier you decide to go with.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1192
My Youtube app on my phone has froze up I'm guessing. When I click on it, it won't do anything. All I can do is click the home button. I uploaded 2 videos yesterday but neither uploaded after they were "complete". Is there a way of resetting this app to maybe get it working again? Or how can I delete it and maybe reinstall it?

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3214
hmm not sure, haven't tried to u/l anything yet. i would recommend being on WiFi to do so though. if you don't have advanced task killer yet, you should get it. not only frees memory up but can kill programs if they freeze up and such.

biggest problem i have with the youtube app is i get the "this video cannot be played" bs. pretty annoying..

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4839
Anyone have issues with finding things on youtube with the Droid Incredible? For some reason any time I search for a song, I get everything EXCEPT the original song which is what I want. Covers, instrumentals, remixes, but not the damn original. Very frustrating. When I'm logged in on the same account on a computer instead of my phone, the original song is always one of the first results. Can't for the life of me find anything in the youtube settings on my phone that would affect this.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3400
i don't really use youtube on my phone. do you use the app or the browser?

droid incredible 2 info has been released, btw. haha.

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3620
Thunderbolt FTW. Comes out monday

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5884
I just got the Droid 2 for $99 a few weeks ago and it kicks all kinds of ass. Love the free Google nav, voice search, droid light and the barcode scanner. Like Eric said, ATK is a must, as is Awake Stay. Motorola stuck the landing on this one.

As for the very newest phones, the Nokia N8 looks amazing.

Oh and, I had my "friend" Vanessa call in the order to Verizon and she sweet talked the dude into a holster clip, ruggedized case, and a pack of screen protector sheets for free, lol. Gotta love Verizon's free overnight Fed Ex shipping too...

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Sorry, I have a new 20...

Post Number: 1584
No TK's here. http://androidspin.com/2010/05/25/why-you-dont-need-a-task-killer-app-with-andro id/

Dolphin HD browser seems to be the fastest as well as most compatible with different roms. Wireless tether is useful for rooted users. SETCPU is priceless when overclocking.

The motorola bionic LTE should be a nice phone as well. dual core 1ghz 1 g/512mb ram. I know android has stated honeycomb is supposed to be a strictly tablet OS but theres no way that will last.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5886
That article is full of shiznit. All you have to do to prove it is to open up ATK and look at all of the processes that are running and how many resources they are using. I tried Dolphin until I found out that Opera had a browser on here, so fuhgetabout it. Mini is greatness.

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2588
I have the HTC Inspire for ATT. love it.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Sorry, I have a new 20...

Post Number: 1585
Your atk is actually the one thats full of shiznit mayne. Check out the program system panel lite. Its way beyond a simple tks. The tks youre using are actually displaying false info. It counts memory that was used by apps no longer active. It may look like your down to say 60mb. When in reality androids process lifecycle will kill inactive programs when more memory is needed. Shutting down the phone once a day will help keep the inactive program memory down. But killing apps every few minutes is not how the os is meant to be run.

Check out xda developers or googles sdk notes they can explain it in more detail....or dont and keep using the tk if you want. I dont care.

Username: Ada1988

Post Number: 3
are you all like the appearance for HTC?
i think they are sll similiar and i prefer the samsung ones and Sony.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3601
i still have this phone.. lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us