Mounting Tv on Wall?

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1372
has anyone done this?

I'm trying to remodel my bedroom and I got a 32inch lcd laying around - want to mount it on my bedroom wall. I'm a beginner DIY'er - and this is prob the biggest project for me so far.

I wan to run everything through the wall as well. The only problem is that people say not to run the power cord through the wall. this is goig to be a problem for me. I am not an electrician and will not be able to setup an outlet by the tv. Is it really a big deal if i run the TV power cord through the wall?

I ordered the wall mount - should have it by Friday. I will try to take pics of finished room

Any tips or advice?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3043
who says?

i don't see a problem with that personally... not like you have 120vac running everywhere already. the problem may reside if its actually plugged in inside of the wall, which i would not do. setting up outlets is cake by the way.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1373
i googled about running wires inside walls and almost everywhere it states do not run the power cord through the wall. I also don't see any problem with that.

Supposedly its a violation of NEC code or something.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3044
ah, that may be the case lol. Vanman (Marc) can probably shed some insight about that.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5557
That isn't a good idea. The wire that is used inside walls is called "Plenum" which is a super strong and fireproof blend of plastics made especially for in wall use. It is also the only cable that is approved for in-wall use. Alot of times, people will pull a regular power cable through the wall, not knowing that it is catching on the metal studded 2x4's and the jacket is ripped away or weakened. Eventually it shorts out and catches the inside of the wall on fire, which will burn extremely fast. This is one of the top causes of fires in the US.

Also, if there were to be a fire -- the insurance inspector would find what you have done and void your policy. What's the big deal anyways? Just run the power cord straight down from the TV down the wall, and if need be you could cover it with some plastic wire cover or even paint it to match the wall.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1374
thanks Brad.

If I do end up running the power cord straight down - then i might as well run the rest of the cords and cover them with molding or something. It would really make sense then for me to run the rest of the wires through the wall.

After a ton of research, people use a power 'extension'. There is one called PowerBridge. Ever heard of that?

I am a complete rookie when it comes to working with electronics - so bare with me if my terminology is incorrect. Basically, there is a female and a male inlet. The female inlet goes on top behind the TV - where you plug in the TV power cord and the Male is towards the bottom. You then run 'romex' from the male to the female inlets.To end it, you plug in an extension cord into the male inlet which then should go to a surge protector.

Has anyone ever tried or heard about it?

This is the link to the PowerBridge:
http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5175
I would not run the power cord inside the wall. for reasons stated earlier.

Do you have an outlet beneth where you want to mount it?
If so, just run a new outlet to the wall higher up from the exsisting one.

Pretty easy to do.
The signal cable, speaker wires, rca's can be run inside the wall np.

If you want I can make up a quick sketch of it.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1376
yes - i actually do have an outlet below where i want to mount it. It would be about 4-5 feet away.

thanks! - i would appreciate the sketch

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5177
http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/plasma-lcd-tv-wall-mount2.htm

Theres some info there, ^^^.

But open the bottom plug, There is going to be black and white wires. Either a few whites and blacks in a wire nut, or a single w/b going into the plug.
If the plug only has one black and one white going into it, then use the extra screw and add the wire to that, then run it to the new plug.
Use an old work box, (or remodel box ). Just trace the outline on the wall, cut it, then open the wings to hold it in. Pretty straigh forward.
The make a flat tv combo electrical data box that was in that link. Thats what I plan on using.

Upload

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1377
thanks!
I'm going to decide if I want to do in wall or just use wire molding.

I guess wire molding will save me lot of time and headache - i dunno. I'm going to think about how i want to run the wires lol

BTW. beautiful sketch!

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5577
http://cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/latching.html

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1379
thanks! I think home depot has something just like that for around $15.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1392
well...i made a hole in my wall only to find out that I have metal studs instead of wooden - which sux balls.

Off to buy 'toggle bolts' from home depot. Supposedly, this is the best solution when mounting anything on metal studs.

Any1 ever used these?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22057
Toggle bolts? They require a quite large hole to get the mechanism through the wall but work well.

There's also a product called EZ anchor. It's for drywall installation and I've used these many times in the past. I'm going to assume you have 1/2" drywall and these anchors have a vertical load limit of 50lbs each. Not sure what your mounting bracket looks like but if the studs don't line up where you need them to in order to center the tv then it might be an option for you. The anchors have evolved a bit from years ago and they have ones now that actually lock into the wall once the screw is driven in. Installs in seconds.

Upload

Not sure how heavy your tv is but if you use only 4 anchors you're good for 200lbs.

Also note that the further away from the wall the weight is the less effective these anchors are. They are designed for vertical load only. If the tv is 6" away from the wall after mounting it on the bracket then it might pivot the weight causing the anchors to fail. Just saying.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1393
thanks!

The toggle bolts actually lock in behind the metal stud which 'should' secure it really well.

Fortunately - the mount can be mounted onto two studs - which should even the weight out.

So the EZ anchor just goes into the drywall? not actually into the stud? If thats so, then i really wouldn't trust these too much. I just can't afford for the TV to fall lol.
If Home Depot does have these, then I can use them along with the toggle bolts - just to be safe I guess.

Gonna make the trip to HD tonight

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22059
Oh for sure trust the studs over the anchors but like I said they work in a pinch. Easily removable too, not like toggle bolts. Once the butterfly is pushed through the hole that's it.

Good luck.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1397
Thanks bud! Just got it mounted. Pain in the @ss to drill the holes through metal if you don't have the right bit lol

Heres a pic

Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22066
Nice! Have fun with it!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us