Help me pick out a new PC

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3740
I'm open to all suggestions. My current PC is 9 years old, getting very slow and starting to have virus issues, and I'm probably overdue for an upgrade anyway.

I play a lot of online poker, do SOME gaming (spare time to spend gaming is scarce), surf the net, look at pr0n, download music/videos, rip cd's etc.

What do you guys think of this one? Is there better out there for the money? Will this meet my needs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103197

All advice and opinions are appreciated, thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Semperfi

Post Number: 138
thats a good comp, i don't know too much about acer though, have you looked up gateway or dell, or HP or anything?

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3741
Yeah, there's a couple others in the same price range by HP and Asus that I was looking at, but they all come with 1GB as opposed to 3GB like the Acer.

That is in part why I made this thread because I don't know much about Acer... the reviews on newegg looked pretty positive though. Looking for as much feedback and outside opinion as I can get before I pull the trigger.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9988
Looks good, I say go for it.

Working in the tech field I have had both positive and negative experiences with almost all the major brands, some more than others... Toshiba and HP are on the good side, avoid dell.

What I have found is that just like car audio, the best manufacturers are the ones you've never heard of. For example we used LAM systems at my last job and rarely had a problem.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 19952
I've been thrown on the fire many times for my opinion on HP but so be it. I'm on my 3rd pc and 2nd laptop and knock on wood never had a problem. Never. Only bugs came with microsuck and that resource hogging b1tch of an OS Vista.

I've owned Dell and Compaq. Glad they're in my past lol.Customer support absolutely blows which you seem to need weekly.

Trying to convince myself to get a Mac. Hear nothing but good news about them.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3742
Thanks guys, 'ppreciate it.

It'll be a couple days before I make a purchase, if anyone else wants to chime in feel free!

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9996
" Trying to convince myself to get a Mac. Hear nothing but good news about them. "

Two words... proprietary hardware. Be ready to shell out big bucks anytime you want a hardware upgrade.

Then theres the lack of software compared to the windows platform.

OSX is a nice design though, and for what it does works very well. I just will not run software that forces me to run one companys hardware.

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2472
i love my macbook and iMac. theyre faster than my PC's.

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 1067
I have leopard on one of my pc's and it runs great...windows and mac are both good for diff things imo

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3747
I had macs ruled out, mostly because I'm resistant to change. Having to familiarize myself with a whole new system seems tedious.

Skullz, Chase, anyone else who has experience with both macs and pcs... what do you think are the pros/cons of each compared to the other?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10007
I already give you the major con.... hardware cost and lock-in.

OSX really has the potential to overtake windows on the desktop market, it is a great OS, if apple didn't keep such a tight grip on it.

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 1068
Pit, if you are very comfortable with a pc and have never used a mac...my opinion woud be to stick with a pc. Mac is not very hard to learn but it takes sometime to get used to. If your into gaming/email/and jus teh simple stuff...then i would suggest to stick with a pc.
If your really looking to do some hardcore video editing etc...then mac would be the choice.

Based on the things u do that u written above, i would def. stick with a pc.

Just my .02 :-) hope it helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us