Let's Talk Space

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11126
I'm just curious as to what other people feelings are on space. Do you think we will ever be able to travel to another galaxy? Will we ever communicate with another intelligent species? Will this species be Earth-like or will they be completely different? Do you believe in the Big Bang theory (starting as a singularity point and expanding at/faster than the speed of light)? Will we ever be able to travel at the speed of light? Will we ever be intelligent enough to move our civilization beyond Earth onto another planet/moon? And anything else you wanna comment on. Hopefully there's some other nerds on here who are interested in this sh1t lol. This stuff just befuddles my mind.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3624
You just blew my mind

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2730
I am extremely interested in questions like this.

I always think "What else is there to life?" and "Why are we here?"

There is so much more in life that we have yet to know about, or to even understand. Earth is just a very small part of what else is out there.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11131
It's absolutely mind boggling when you think about it. Just take this for example, if you were to take a grain of sand (just one little grain of sand) and hold it out at arm's length, then in that little piece of sand would be about 10,000 galaxies behind that grain with each galaxy possibly holding planets which could harbor life. The number is unfathomable. Its said that the outer edge of the OBSERVEABLE universe is about 46.5 billion light years away. If we traveled at the speed of the fastest current human-made transportation which travels at 10 miles per second which equates out to about 36,000mph which is equal to 1/18,600th of the speed of light!

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 416

quote:

Will this species be Earth-like or will they be completely different?

They are gonna be little grey guys with big heads. (I know, I've seen it on TV)

quote:

Will we ever be able to travel at the speed of light?

Yup, did it today. A friend told me the English department was giving away free Chick-fil-a lunches just for listening to a lecture. BAM, I was there.

lol, j/p Yanks

I have always wondered about stuff like that, I find it very interesting. I love some of the shows on Discovery/NatGeo about space.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3730
"Just take this for example, if you were to take a grain of sand (just one little grain of sand) and hold it out at arm's length, then in that little piece of sand would be about 10,000 galaxies behind that grain with each galaxy possibly holding planets which could harbor life."

lol that made no sense to me :-(.

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11132
Yea I suck at explaining lol. But, what I was trying to say is that, that grain of sand would be blocking about 10,000 galaxies from your view if you could see them of course lol.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3507
Interesting stuff. I thought I heard once that there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of salt on earth. Pretty crazy to think about.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 19911
Weird thing about the human mind is that we have a harder time grasping the concept of infinite largeness than we do infinite smallness, yet, they are one in the same. How can there be NO end? I mean, if we were to someday reach the end of the universe, you would HAVE to wonder what's on the other side? We just can't fathom the concept of nothing. The same is true about splitting the atom. Now there are two particles. Now split those in half. It goes on forever (in theory).

I guess you could say we are somewhere in the middle.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us