I quit smoking

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4109
4more hours from the time I posted this thread. It would be 1 full day without a ciggarette. Plan to let this resume to 1 full week. and then 1 month. Wish me the best.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6303
good luck

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3357
Good luck Berny!!! Keep your eyes on the prize man, quitting is very difficult, and an unpleasant process, but the rewards are WELL WORTH IT.

Once the addiction starts to fade you'll feel MUCH BETTER physically AND mentally, not to mention all the money you'll save!

Godspeed.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21730
good luck berny.

x2 on the money saved ehren. i spend $40 a week on cigarettes alone.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4059
Awesome Berny. Keep at it....joo can dooeet.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3359
Chad, man up and join Berny in his quit-quest!!!

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4111
Its only been 1 full day but I feel good about this. Thanks for the support. Trying my best.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4132
thats one of the hardest things to quit. Even if you fail this time, try again. Good luck.

I spend about $100 a week on them now. (for me and my wife) They just went up to like $6 a pack. Ive benn thinking about quiting now myself. Are you using drugs?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17417
No looking back dude. Compound those savings over the years and not only will you add years to your life but also money to spend doing it. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7912
Damn am I glad I never started smoking. But good luck Berny.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 10004
Keep going Bern. Good luck bud.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2418
Keep it up Berny.:-) We believe in you!

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3102
NICE BERNY!

Good luck man, everyone is behind ya... no hom0.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8335
Smoking cigarettes is not an addiction. Have you ever sucked d1ck for cigarettes? I knew you did!

Username: Margie2008123

Northport, Al USA

Post Number: 1
WTG on quit smoking, Its been 7 months for me, I took chantix too help me for 4 months and it does work, it feels like i never smoked. I smoked for 27 yrs.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1898
updates bern?

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4124
Still clean. :-). I won't lie about it.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8346
Only the weak minded fail when trying to give up something. I gave up smoking cigarettes back when I was 14. I gave up smoking weed when I was 16(I started when I was 13). Never went back to either of them since.

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4127
Thats what I told myself. If I fail to quit, its because I am weak. So I asked myself am I weak? No, so then I shall not fail. And yes, still clean. Maybe its bc I look at the last pack of ciggs that I have bought and think to myself, I really don't want to smoke a stale ciggarette anyways.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17484
"Only the weak minded fail when trying to give up something. "

Look, we're all "weak" to something. To say anyone is weak to not give up something is kinda broad. Take coffee. Coffee is as addictive as cigs no? If you love your cup of Joe in the morning and have to go without it what happens?

Granted smoking is much worse for your health but an addiction doesn't just pertain to activities classified as dangerous. Driving fast is an addiction and is as dangerous if not more so cause it involves others.

Some are addicted to AIM, some to chess.

I keep telling myself to get off this damn PC at night and try other things.

Guess I'm addicted and weak.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8348
Paul, there's a difference though. There's positive things and negative things and you have to factor that into this. Being on your computer is nothing to be worried about. I guess you could say that I'm addicted to fitness and some people even call me obsessed but I feel good about doing positive things for myself. At least you're not out and about getting into trouble. Smoking does nothing good for you but definitely does some harm. Why give up a good thing? No reason. Giving up a bad habit is something we should all attempt to do. I won't be drinking for at least a solid month or so not that I drink heavily anyhow but I'm giving it up totally for at least a month. Well, pretty much until August :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17487
Good for you Rob.

The problem with me is I work on a Pc during the day. That pays the bills. Then when I get home and even on lunch I log onto here just to see what's up. At night I'm here as well. Add it up and I'm a PC junkie. I don't watch tv anymore cuz it sux and I'd rather have the radio playing in the background while I'm fArting around on here. To tell you the truth I even watch movies on my PC and I have a full blown home theater with projector with full surround and sub. Don't get me wrong, I prefer watching movies on the 100" screen but I can't check up on E at the same time..

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4130
get a laptop with wireless connection

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17488
I have one. It's behind the bar lol.

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4133
Here to say that its been a week -_-.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3400
Good job! How do you feel? Sick? Withdrawal?

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4136
I feel good. I feel that I wish I could have 1 cigg but not go back into the addiction. 1 cigg may seem like 1 cigg but it'll probaly pull me back. Maybe I'll hate it. I don't know. So I'm just trying to keep my distance from ciggs.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3405
Well I can't say from personal experience, but from what I've heard, if you have 1 cig it'll essentially be like starting over and the week you already put in would be wasted.

Stand strong I say.

Silver Member
Username: Jblsince1989

Post Number: 117
Stay away from it! Smoking doesn't make you real man because a real man doesn't go around smelling real bad! Smoke gets all over your clean clothes that you washed and what's the point in smelling real bad!

Hope this little public awareness message helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 15
Good job so far BernyMac, keep it up. You are past the physical addictions phase now. The rest is all mental now. I quit 22 months ago after many years of smoking.

When I drink, is when I still get the mental desire to smoke, so I sometimes ( not often) bum a smoke from someone, and fire it up. No point in beating yourself up trying NOT to smoke then, if ya are mentally Jonesing. So fire it up, it tastes like crap, then after a few hits, put it out. Its NOT going to get you addicted again, unless you allow it, and do it constantly. Its NOT like starting all over again! It actually reinforces your desire NOT to smoke daily again, because it tastes so different and nasty, and the guilt sets in, and minor sense of failure. You know you are a better person than that, to allow yourself to be controlled daily by such a stupid thing.

My point is , quitting is hard mentally. You will always have a mental desire at one time or another. That never goes away completely. So, in a few more months, don't beat yourself up, when you are really craving. Fire it up, and get it out of your system, then get over it and move on with things. You may repeat this every once in awhile when the cravings are really bad, but thats OK. You are strong enough to get back up and stay off smokes. Its kind of like people who diet, they crave food and then eat, feel guilty, but that doesn't mean they have to over eat daily again and completely lose it and gain 50 pounds or whatever. They just need to get back in their "diet" routine again.

Keep it up BernyMac, you've done well so far. You are in control, not the smokes.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3408
While that may be the case for you JFH, I don't think that's good advice to be giving to people in general.

Like I said, I've never been a cigarette smoker so I can't say from personal experience. But smokers close to me would adamantly disagree with the advice about having them once in a while after you quit.

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 696
JFH actually does have it right....u cannot sit there and go through agony and stress over a cig. once u smoke one, chances are u realize that they do taste like a55 and u kinda ask urself if that's was worth it...and over time u won't get the cravings.

i was able to quit cold turkey....of course at work...i didn't know what to do on breaks since i didn't smoke anymore but i still stood out there with the smokers...i wanted to be mentally tough and not be the person who can't be around smokers for fear of relapsing. I do get cravings from time to time but i get them for chew..not really cigs.

Bronze Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 20
I too quit "cold turkey". Its the ONLY way. Most people waste their time and money on patches and other gimmicks to wean themselves off, and usually return to smoking. You have to WANT to quit and be self reliant and have the mental fortitude to just QUIT!

I quit and started many times in my life, and YOU have to just do it yourself. There are NO real shortcuts, but you can make it easier on yourself.

Over the years I learned 2 things about smoking.

You are in control of yourself but,
1. "Welbutrin" prescribed by a doctor does in fact actually work and help most people IF they really want to quit. All that other stuff is crap!
2. Make it easy on yourself, and fire 1 up when you must, its better than beating yourself up and smoking a whole pack daily again.

Both of these I learned from personal experience, other ex smokers, and from smoking cessation classes taught by physicians and psychologists.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17533
I myself grew up in a house of smoking parents. Their parents smoked. My sister smoked, until marriage. I tried it, hated it. Weed was a different story lol.

For those who drink and smoke quitting one is an entirely different animal. They go hand in hand. When drinking you tend to smoke in unison with it. Ppl won't even realize reaching for cigs off the table when in a bar cause it's that subliminal.

My parents recently quit from over 40+ years of smoking. Tough to do and not their first time. They HAD to do it together this time though as it's impossible to quit when your spouse of 40 years lights up next to you. My father's best attempt was to keep his cigs on top of the fridge, making him get up and walk every time he wanted one. Of course they both gained a little weight when they quit, who doesn't? Small price to pay in the long run.

Bronze Member
Username: Flyingleaf

Post Number: 25
Good job man, that's good for you. Just stick on...

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4148
Still haven't smoked a ciggarette. I can't believe how I just quit. There has been a couple of days that I never thought about smoking. Thats what I'm aiming for.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17551
I'd say you're about there dude. The rest is all mental.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

James Carrol is the re...

Post Number: 1226
bernymacisthebest

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9972
"Still haven't smoked a ciggarette. I can't believe how I just quit. There has been a couple of days that I never thought about smoking. Thats what I'm aiming for."

I prayed for you Berny back on the 18th when you said you were thinking about having a cig. Looks like he is answering. Great choice you made to quit.

Silver Member
Username: Alex_smith

Post Number: 154
props berny, keep it up for sure man

Gold Member

Cambodia

Post Number: 4151
two weeks

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 948
dam good job berny for real...thats probably one of the hardest things i have tried.....TRIED

props man
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us