Need help fixing my tv

Username: Mike_tonon

Post Number: 1
i have a 1985 RCA colortrak 25" tv in great condition, but now, after lightning struck our house you have to plug it in to turn it on and unplug it to turn it off. the tv is stuck on channel 36, the volume is almost muted and the buttons on the tv and the remote do not work. sometimes all i see is a green screen with retrace lines but if i tap the side the picture comes in. i happen to have the repair manual. where should i start? id like to save the tv if i can, its a classic looking model.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7875
To be honest, I really doubt you will still be able to get the parts needed to fix it, often the case with old TVs. I knew someone who threw out a 50" mitsubishi TV from the 90s b/c mitsubishi no longer made the part it needed and nobody else had it available.

You could do something creative, if you found a flat panel LCD the correct size, take out the CRT and glass and mount the LCD in your old TVs casing.

Could also make a fishtank out of it :-)

Post Number: 2
i had a similar problem about 6 years ago and the local tv repair shop found the the part, seemingly no problem and replaced it, i think it was an IC. i see new old stock rca parts on ebay every now and then, maybe i will figure out the problem and just keep an eye out for the parts i need. i like the tv because its sentimental to me but also its a very simple model. it was designed right when things started to go digital (buttons insted of knobs, ect.), the channel up/ down memory is stored in the remote rather than in the tv like on almost every tv. the remote buttons are big and simple, the clock and channel display is big and simple, i like it.

but its funny you mention putting a newer tv's guts in it. i thought about putting a flat screen in it, but only found one that might fit thats not made by RCA (its not a wide screen).

but do you have any idea what could have been damaged?

Username: Frostyme

Greer, SC United States

Post Number: 2
I currently have an outside UHF and VHF antenna. I have been told I will need the UHF antenna only after Feb-09 and I will no longer need the VHF. Is this true? Already have the converter boxes attached to the TV.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6308
to be honest just go to walmart and buy a new 25" tv for 100$.

Post Number: 3
I think what i might do is junk the tv and buy a used or maybe a new hdtv because i will need a converter box anyways if i dont and take the guts out an build my own cabinet for it.

or take an older tv like a very simple set with wood grain and knobs, something that is basically just a monitor and just get a converter box, like most people did with regular cable in the early 1980's?

i have my 1985 rca 25" FLR624ER tv still and some parts, including a spare tuner and 4 CRK37B factory remote controls in great working condition, as well as other parts. i also have the owners manual and happen to have the factory repair manual. once i figure out what im going to do, if i dont use or fix the tv, i will sell and or give parts to anyone who wants.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6313
you might try and fab up a new tv inside the old tv to keep the look of the old one if you like it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us