OT: Gas Prices Update

Silver Member
Username: Vc23

Fi , 2 12 Fi Bls U.s.a

Post Number: 321
So gas is getting pretty retarted... i filled up the old sunfire today for 48 dollars... thats just g@y... $3.86 a gallon here in michigan.. whats it like in other states?

Silver Member
Username: Dirtrider125

Post Number: 126

Silver Member

Fi , 2 12 Fi Bls U.s.a

Post Number: 322
where is that at?

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 5048
I am forced to buy Premium 93oct.. gas here in Texas for premium is about what you pay there in Michigan.. if I remember I'll look when I go out today :-(

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3637

new mexico

Silver Member

Fi , 2 12 Fi Bls U.s.a

Post Number: 324
yeah the sunfire runs real nice on 87 regular unleaded.. about 30 mpg... but yeah i am just curious as to what gas is in like cali or florida...

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2133

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2090
Here in KY its $3.75 for regular but I use the mid grade stuff so I pay $3.85

Silver Member
Username: Dirtrider125

Post Number: 127
3.50 in pennsylvania

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3950
It is what it is. Our government waited too long, and depended on foreign oil for way, way too long, not to mention that our current leadership probably wouldn't pass a retard test = what we are seeing now. Idiots is a common desciption.

Cali Gas

Reg 3.98
Mid 4.08
Prem 4.18
Diesel 4.30

Silver Member
Username: Spankinurwoofers

GR, MI US

Post Number: 384
I just payed $4.05/gal...but have to buy premium, MI.

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 646
i saw 3.95 on the way to work today.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3643
deisel here is 4.35 ???? wtf?

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

4 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 918
$3.48

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4485
I paid $4.09, premium. Diesel $4.43 average $150/day/truck(x15), wis truck averaging $265(x2) so ya my fuel bill is a bit high. I get a fuel surcharge but they will only pay out what is calculated by TelNav not by Odometer. So if they give us wrong addresses or bad directions we don't get reimbursed for that fuel, sucks... Polo.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 16548
Predictions call for oil to possibly go for $200/barrel soon.

Not to throw a panic but it could happen.

I'm going to check my tire pressures and empty my truck as much as possible tomorrow. No more quick trips to the mall anymore. I used to go home for lunch to save money. Now I'll be brown bagging it and staying put.

And to think we have all the oil we need right in our own backyard and don't tap into it because of political/corrupt BS.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3645
yep. tons of oil in the gulf of mexico and in alaska. fuggin hippies. but oil companies are the greediest companies around. is very sad, and i cant believe its allowed to continue. although i know its a democracy there hould really be a limit to how much companies can gouge the market. BUT im glad we drill in the usa because this is the reason i have a job, i work in the oilfield, and make decent money for my age. i just wish a limit could be set as to how much the cost of gas and other byproducts cost us. it causes the cost of living to sky rocket.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16551
The cost of oil affects EVERYONE.

Whether you drive or not. Every product we use is supplied/delivered by some means of oil based fuel. When that cost goes up, so does all the rest. Be it a burrito in a 7-11 in New York or flap-jacks in a Kansas city diner. Everyone feels the pinch.

Been saying it for years. We all will be looking up for our energy needs. (Solar energy).

Did you know that the sun generates 1000w of power on a warm summer's day for every square yard of earth's surface? Add it up. Think about it.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3646
this true, but imo we cant stop drilling for oil. still plenty out there. but we also need other resources like you said. earth wind and fire! lol wait a second.....

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 895
hey twisted where you live in ky

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2834
gas really has not kept up with inflation over the past 30 years and now it's finally catching up (rapidly)

also, solar energy really is key. if we covered 1/10th the state of nevada with solar panels, we could easily power the ENTIRE U.S.. We just need a means of transferring that power all the way to the far reaches of the U.S.

if you're smart and you've got some money, throw some into some oil stock to recoup what you're spending bc it's got no where to go but up.

i'm not really justifying the price of gas (375 cleveland) but it is what it is. however, it is fishy that exxon-mobil made more money in profits alone in 2007 than any other company in the united states EVER has. (dating back to rockefeller and other monopolies.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 897
yeah but isnt it funny that these oil companys had the B@lls to ask for a tax cutt???? what the h3ll do they need a tax cut for there all screwin america like where the b1tches

Silver Member
Username: 94_toy

Post Number: 196
$1.42 a liter here in british columbia, thats $5.68 a gallon....man u guys got it good

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3647
national oilwell is where id drop my money for stocks

helmrich and payne drilling
unit drilling
patterson
haliburton
transocean???
greywolf drilling
cyclone drilling
bp america
conoco phillips
exxon mobile
energen resources
bj serivices
baker oil tools
schlumberger
key energy
theres a few to get you started LOL

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 624
3.42 today when i filled up in phoenix

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 796
3.69 North Carolina..
saw diesel for 4.75 i think...

Silver Member
Username: Tiggerboi87

Valdosta, GA United States

Post Number: 352
Well i buy premium 93 and where im at in south GA it is $3.95 a gallon.

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 2077
3.59 last friday dont wanna look at prices again cuz i know they will go up

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9169
3.69 as of yesterday I believe...Pennsylvania

Silver Member
Username: Charlesbhs

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 566
3.85 a gallon i think it was when i filled up on sunday. but the beamer only accepts premium :-(

Silver Member
Username: Charlesbhs

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 567
i talked to my dad the other day because i was worried about my future finacialy and thinking that electric bills are gonna be crazy high and gas prices... and idk he kinda told me not to worry though. like if gas is going up companys are gonna find cheaper alternatives(which they have already), so we should be ok in the futre. just make sure you save up some sort of money on the side right now so u can buy an alternative car when gas gets terrible.

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 145
wow i guess gas here is lower than anywhere. i pretty sure its around 3.30 for regular if you go to the right station everywhere else is about 3.40 here in san antonio texas

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16559
New Jersey is set to eliminate the solar rebate program soon. At least that's what I remember. Up to 80% of your investment into solar powering your home can be refunded to you by the state. This is significant because of the average cost of an installation is currently as much as $30,000-$45,000. Sounds like a lot, and it is, but after rebates you're left with covering about $8000. Solar panels have a productive energy lifespan of about 25 years. If you're grid-tie then maintenance is minimal at best. Add it up. If your average electric bill is even only $150/month, the system is paid for in only 4 1/2 years leaving you with free electricity for the next 20.

Not to mention on sunny days when nobody's home your meter can actually move backwards, giving you a credit. You sell your excess power back to the electric company.

Personally I would want a battery bank for those winter/rainy/cloudy days when the sun is hidden more frequently even though the panels are still producing.

Alternative energy is our future. Now it's up to the politicians to find a way and corrupt it.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4489
You show me where a complete solar system in only 30-45K . Polo..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16560
For starters:

http://www.lses.org/cost.htm

Now a 1000w grid tie estimates at $9000 while a 6000w at $40,000. I don't know anyone who can get by on only 1000w. My microwave uses more. 6000w may be a tad extreme but think about all that's running.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16561
http://www.sunset.com/sunset/home/article/0,20633,1192699,00.html

http://www.solartechnologies.com/cm/Solar-Power-Homes/Solar-Power-Cost.html

http://www.solarpowerauthority.com/archives/2008/01/how-much-does-it-cost-to-ins tall-solar-on-an-average-us-house.html

http://www.evo.com/content/2827

Just a few more examples.

Mind you it's always cheaper to conserve energy than to produce it.

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Ky USA

Post Number: 175
also, with the energy. im not sure if this is still in effect, but if you are still paying for electricity, and you add solar panels to your house and produce more energy than what you use, that extra energy travels back to the energy company turning your meter backwards. meaning they have to pay you for it.

that is the general idea of an article that was in a town newsletter about a year or two ago.

but i know 1000w isnt all that much. i have a 760w dc to ac power converter [for my car] and it would barely power my desktop pc and my monitor. yeah, i used to lug those around in my car before i invested in a laptop, hehe. fun times. but 1000w isnt all that much at all.

Silver Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 503
$4.18 on the South side. Evil lol.

Silver Member
Username: M0nkeyman692

Post Number: 564
$4.61 on nantucket

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Digital Design 9515, Massive Audi...

Post Number: 2371
10 mpg and 4.61 per gallon FTMFL

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2141
Holy fu*k. $4.61 regular?

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 2078
3.89 here now

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16566
Lockable gas caps are again the rage at auto stores. Heck, I'm even thinking of bringing my lawnmowers' gas can inside that's out in the shed. Once gas rose above the cost of milk we were in trouble.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

4 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 920
The sign says "Sale", but I think we all would have to disagree...

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 138
TiggerBoi87
we're in Byron, GA i filled the truck up for 3.59 in Macon Saturday. Cost me 37.85

ifs a 1981 Ford F150. I carried a car to the crusher. got 427.00 go at least i paid for my fuel

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1893
Over here in Lagrange, GA it has made its way to $3.86 a gallon. The edge has been parked and the focus is on the run :-)

Semke, how much do you make per hour? I bet your economy is nothing like over here. $5.85 is min wage. In othr words, some people bring home MAYBE $200 a week. Ok, that is $800 a month. Th average american drives around 30 miles to work 1 way. In a good car lets say 3 gallons a day are used to and from work. Having about an 11 gallon tank you would fill up at least 5 times a month at about $40 a fill up. There goes a week of your pay just for gas.

Now, lets go shop for food. Hmmm.... I have been seeing a HUGE rise in prices there. Just the wife and I spend a good $200+ a month in food for 2 of us. So now you got $400 for gas and food. $400 left for house, insurance, car, credit cards, and utilities. It is not possible to make it now days.

Now, as for us. She is only one that works since I am hurt. Drives an hour one way to work. Figured $500 in gas a month. Now you see why the focus is only thing on the road right now.

What NEEDS to happen is mor refineries need to be built along with drilling into Alaska as well as off the Florida coast. We have not built a refinery since 1979!!! No wonder we can't keep up with demand although OPEC says no shortage.

I think the b@stards that don't want us to tap into Alaska need to give up their cars and walk like a hippie should.

Ok, I done with rant :-)

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6249
its not the hippies its the govenment. think of our multi billion dollar space station and the war. dont let them fool you the gov. makes alot of money off of gas prices so why would they do anything about it. they can say it all they want but they dont really want the price to go lower. neither do the oil companies, who influence the gov. $$$. bunch of corrupt political fu-ck-ers

3.64 orlando
3.85-4.10 reg. in palm beach
diesel in palm beach is over 450

reg. at a marina in palm beach is 490-510 diesel there is was 580 i think.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 15677
3.89 in SW Florida today...and climbing...went up .17 past 2 days..

We (the US companies) have enough reserves in the US to last MANY years, lets tap into it now!..and develop and use the many other available resources we have..and every GOV building and school can start too help by shutting down their usage of electrical power and lights etc..

I make very good money in my military retirement and real estate ventures, along with stocks etc, but even now the cost of BOTH gas and food is VERY alarming and out of control ( TY George W and Mr Greenspan (former big kahuna)...azzwipes

I honestly don't know how young couples with children are surviving today...the ratio between income and required spending, has never been so equal in my lifetime..its ridiculous and scary!..I feel for my children and their childreen...many years to resolve this mess!

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2272
3.49 in OK for Reg UNL
4.04 for diesel tho.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9221
3.75 in pennsylvania now

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 613
3.99 in traverse city MI

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15687
Diesel..aka #2 Oil, same as home heating fuel...is usually .57 a gallon more than regular unleaded anyplace in the US..

Gold Member

Post Number: 9279
3.79 - 3.85 here now

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15784
$389 in SW Florida for 87 octane...and $4.46 diesel...

Can u imagine trying to heat your home this coming winter with OIL aka diesel fuel..many people are gonna freeze and die, and others stealing to just pay for the heat...while them focking Saudi's and OPEC countries get richer and snub us..while Halburton and Cheney and the oil companies fill their pockets with largest profits in history!...

This country is really getting focked up with Bush and big businesses!..something drastic is got to happen, and will...U watch!..and it'll be by the people, not the GOV... U may see another type revolution and huge protest movement evolve..

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3965
Diesel hit five bucks here today. Regular 87 octane is four.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2593
predicted to hit 7 by the end of the year

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 651
4.19 for 87

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8087
Chicago has the highest prices nationwide I believe.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2602
It just cost me $68.02 to fill up today and that will be gone buy monday or tuesday...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16743
Well around here gas is skyrocketing for the long holiday weekend. I mean jumping up in price by $.10/gallon overnight.

Oil execs should be put on their knees and shot in the back of their heads execution style.

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1279
3.63, 2 days ago, now 3.67 here. it cost me 25 and i was only down by a quarter. at 3.55 it cost me 37 to fill my tank from half.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2205
4.09 for 87 now...Upload

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3211
"predicted to hit 7 by the end of the year"

f*ck...

"Chicago has the highest prices nationwide I believe."

double f*ck...

I didn't fill up today but I think I saw $4.19 on the sign at my usual station.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2767
2 weeks ago I paid $4.05.

Today, the billboard sign said $4.19, but the pump said $4.22. An employee was carrying a ladder and some numbers to change the sign.

New price (right after I filled up) -$ 4.31

I work in the Bronx, gas station next door - $4.44

Here's what I don't understand...
They say we're at the mercy of OPEC (mostly Arab countries) and are paying because of them.

Yet the gas stations that don't import any foreign oil (Hess and Shell to name a couple) have the same prices. If we were really so dependent on them and their prices, why is American gas just as expensive? Because they know they can charge whatever they want.

My favorite part is that gas is more expensive now than it ever was, even adjusting for inflation, yet the gas companies have made record profits, even when you adjust for inflation.

If I had a few extra dollars, I'd invest in oil stocks. But due to gas prices rising more than 3% since last year, and my raise only being the standard 3%, I'm worse off this year than last year, and can't afford anything but gas to get to work.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1203
Supply and demand Stu. It doesn't matter who is producing the oil, if there is a limited supply and a hefty demand, prices are going to go up.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2782
That and the fact they know they people will pay it. I don't think its a shortened supply issue.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3996
It went up 13 cents here in two days. Reg is at $4.24 now. Diesel is $5.30.

I think the plan is this: The oil companies are going to keep raising the price until people lose their minds and start fighting back. Then the government will jump in. Then it will eventually creep back down to $3.00 a gallon. Then they will say: "OK it is three bucks, you happy now?". That is all they want... people to be happy to pay three bucks.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1207
Thats where OPEC comes into play Stu. They control a good percentage of the worlds production, and unfortunately for us, they're just as happy keeping supplies tight.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2790
Good point Stephen.

Brad,

I'd love for that to be the case, but I think its wishful thinking more than anything else. The government is pretty much helpless over the long haul. They may come up with a temporary fix to bring the prices down a little, but in the end we're a free-market society. Government can not and will not take over a business or industry, nor will they set prices. If they lower or eliminate the gas tax, what's to stop the gas stations from raising their prices to offset any discount?

They know they can charge what they want, and no one can do anything about it. They don't care if people riot in the streets. They don't have to deal with it, the government does.

Just my opinions though. I sure hope you're right.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3997
Well said Stu.

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10615
$4.79/gal for super here. I fill up 65 gallons/week and $5.55/gal for diesel and I fill up 30 gal/week you do the math but I will tell you it is not fun watching all this money go to the oil industry but what can you do? nothing so we just have to sit back and take it and hope hydrogen motors come out faster then expected:-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15805
There are tons of things the people can do to hurt Big Business, and get the attention of the GOV...be creative, or use past proven methods to protest their actions or lack of actions..

BTW...its not the little small gas station owners who are hauling in these HUGE profits!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16888
Any new form of energy will be controlled by ppl associated with the oil industry. I wish it too. Its' just too big. Those involved will either squash the technology or gobble up the patent rights. It's already happening with solar energy.

At this point we either decide to conserve or fight to tap into our own supplies that are already inside our own country.

Fug the regulations created by those who benefit from them. Bush is on top of the list.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9757
Gas here went down to $3.95 today.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4029
"BTW...its not the little small gas station owners who are hauling in these HUGE profits!"

Gas stations on average make around two cents a gallon.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16896
Went down?

Wow.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 Mag USA

Post Number: 9763
I know Paul. I think it was a misprint on the sign lol.

Went from 3.99 to 3.95 :-)

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3231
"Any new form of energy will be controlled by ppl associated with the oil industry."

Except for the one us Americans always overlook...HUMAN ENERGY!!! I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way to really decrease our dependency on oil is to get off our as$es. Unfortunately that problem is a pretty complicated one, kids are raised spoiled and lazy, obesity is killing and disabling us etc.

IMO:
Ride your bike
Walk
Rollerblade
W/E

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6260
yeah ehren its easy to use human energy to travel 10+ miles to school, work, and whatever else everyday. i guess im just lazy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9343
3.89 to 3.95 in PA when I looked yesterday

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16897
"Except for the one us Americans always overlook...HUMAN ENERGY!!! I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way to really decrease our dependency on oil is to get off our as$es. Unfortunately that problem is a pretty complicated one, kids are raised spoiled and lazy, obesity is killing and disabling us etc.

IMO:
Ride your bike
Walk
Rollerblade
W/E"

Agreed. It's always cheaper to conserve energy than to produce it. I yell at my kids for the same things my parents yelled at me for. I consider it a moral and personal defeat when I come home from a long day to see a light or two left on. I'm like that with food as well. I HATE throwing food away that was asked for. It's just another thing you never get back ya know?

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21033
i just paid $4.42/gallon for 91 octane.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16905
It has now become cheaper for me to go out to lunch than go home. I hate brown bagging it but it looks like the future for me.

I feel for you guys on the West coast. $3.89 here.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21040
yeah its crazy paul. i mean on weekends if i am bored, i used to take drives out to the beach but not now. lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16906
At least you don't have to worry about heating oil. My folks have a 300 gallon tank they need filled before each winter. At $4-$5/gal that hits them good. Combine that increase with gas and...........

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21042
honestly i am spending about 20 bux more a week on gas so its not that bad but it just makes me want to drive less.

that's crazy about your parents needing that much gas though. damn cold winters sux for you guys.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16907
Yeah it makes me wish I had a fireplace or a wood burning stove. I get all the free lumber scraps from work I want. I burn it in my chiminea now but I'd sure like to heat the home with it.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21043
at least you guys have four seasons out there. here in cali, you can wear shorts all year round. sometimes i wish we get some snow too.

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10661
Hey Paul, you think 300 gallons is a lot? I burned 1200 gallons in 5 months last winter! :-( now the new lock in rate for this winter is $4.00/gallon???? WTF????? this is a crock! I am researching a new pellet/corn stove that should drastically reduce my oil consumption. We will see!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15813
Used small pellet and coal stove myself for years, and they work great from basement...another alternative is coal stove (no not dirty house), just put aside an area in basement near window and small chute to shovel it down...both coal and pellet stoves work great from basement, with a few registers in floor and door open...even just to augment oil or natural gas..

BTW...when lived in Mass full time, I only used 300-500 gallons average yearly of oil, for heat AND hot water (have no electric hot water heater), using a 10 yr old decent (Beckett), tuned up yearly, oil tankless burner hot water baseboard system ( 4-6 people household usually)..BEFORE I used pellet, and coal stoves..then my oil dropped 50%...

I still have the Massachusetts home, but use only for 4-5 months in summer..and only use 100 gallons oil yearly for heat and hot water June - 1 November....

Many ways to cut down on home oil use..from insulation, windows, wall socket coverings, door strips, yearly tuneups, leave oven door open after cooking, blinds/curtains open in day and shut at nite, and augment the oil source of fuel (pellet or coal)..and of course buying futures oil before it goes up more, which it will...also if ya live in area with low electric rates, lil heaters are great too, to get the chill out and keep warm..

Most places have FREE energy home audits and some greats tips ( many that U never would even think of), and tax savings on energy efficient "devices and equipment"..and all states and feds have some financial assistance available to those that have a need and qualify..in fact, Robert Kennedy jr has a great helpful program available in some states..

But if people do some of the simple things, they'll be amazed, how much they can save on their oil heat/water bills..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16910
I almost bought a home with a fireplace b4 I bought my house. Fuel/gas was much cheaper then so it would've been more of a novelty, but now I would've really used it in the colder months.

1200 gallons James???!!! Yikes.

I was even using the kerosene heater until it shot past $4/gal. Electric heaters are nice but it's an even trade off for me. I'm enjoying this time of year when my utilities are balanced between 60 degree nights and 75 degree days. The "salad" months lol.

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10663
yeah I bought one for my house in new hampshire and because of the open layout it heats all 2800 sq/ft of it all by itself. I use a corn/pellet mixture and it works great. I am gonna have to do something because $5,000 for the winter is a bit rediculous!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15816
Move off the top of MT Washington!...LOL...move to Nashua or Manchester area, where it ain't so bad..

Yankee ingenuity is inherited up there in NE, so I'm sure ya can cut that bill way down if ya did a few things..my house there is only 1900 sq ft , but used nowhere near as much as U...and last winter wasn't really that bad ...was 70's in january for awhile..

Silver Member
Username: Jblsince1989

Post Number: 105
Well stop raping the environment and you won't be b!tching like selfish children! That's why I don't own a car because only rapists own cars and don't care, not one single BIT!

Gold Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2253
Gas went down a couple cents. Let's celebrate!!

NOT

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15817
Yes we are already in a recession..

Investor tells lawmakers that economy is at risk as housing bubble deflates and rising oil prices rise. Senate panel probes whether speculators are manipulating prices.

High oil prices, driven by decreasing crude supplies and increasing demand could drive the U.S. economy into a recession, George Soros, the famous fund manager and commodities investor, told lawmakers Tuesday.

The Senate Commerce Committee held a hearing on Capitol Hill in an attempt to find out if oil prices are being manipulated by speculators, what can be done to regulate commodities trading, and what effect high oil prices have on the economy.

In testimony before the committee, Soros said the potential for "distinctly harmful effects" of a further increase in oil prices makes speculation "intellectually unsound" and "potentially destabilizing."

"The rise in oil prices aggravates the prospects for a recession," Soros added.
Speculation boosts oil prices

Recent investor interest in commodities is an issue of intense debate. Though some analysts say market fundamentals are playing a large role in the doubling of oil prices in a one-year span - driven by strong global demand and a shrinking supply - others believe that commodities investors have boosted the price of crude with speculative trading, treating oil as a hedge against inflation due to the weakened dollar.

"We have what I think is a speculative bubble, and the laws of bubbles is that all bubbles burst," said Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D. "The problem is, this bubble is causing a dramatic amount of damage to our economy and to individuals."

Nearly all of the witnesses agreed that speculation has artificially boosted the price of oil.

"Excessive speculation on energy trading facilities is the fuel that is driving this runaway train in crude oil prices today," said Gerry Ramm, president of Inland Oil Company.

Others tried to quantify the scope that speculation has had on crude costs.

"We're paying, some believe, as high as a 50% premium to the pockets of speculators that are operating in markets that are completely unpoliced," said Michael Greenburger, a University of Maryland professor and former CFTC official. "At least 70% of the US crude oil market is driven by speculators and not people with commercial interests."

Mark Cooper, director of research at consumer rights organization Consumer Federation of America, said $40 of oil's current price is "baloney" and can be chalked up to speculation, though Soros called that an exaggeration.

Soros said the increasing cost of discovering new oil reserves, diminished supply, foreign subsidies on petroleum product prices, and speculation have all contributed to higher prices - a "bubble" that may not burst until prices become so high that they drag the economy into a recession.

"Only when a recession is well and truly in place is a decline in consumption likely to outweigh the other factors."
Solution: Close the Enron loophole

Some suggested closing the "Enron loophole" as a possible solution to the speculation problem. The loophole, which was codified in the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000, allows oil futures to be traded electronically in unregulated markets outside of the jurisdiction of the Commodities Futures Trading Commission.

"Americans may be surprised to learn that the oil futures markets were substantially deregulated by the CFTC staff decisions that were made behind closed doors," said Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash. "Now this London and Dubai loophole is keeping important U.S. energy trading in the dark and without proper light ... it can give manipulators free rein in energy markets."

As part of the recently-passed Farm Bill, Congress attempted to close that loophole, but Greenburger said language did not go far enough. He said the Farm Bill placed the burden on the public to prove a trade needs regulation rather than placing the onus on the trader to prove it does not need regulation. Greenburger said Congress should return the language of the original bill "this afternoon," saying that overnight it would bring the price of crude oil by 25%.

Greenburger also suggested that Congress impose increased margins for oil traders and regulate hedge fund owners' public speculation on oil prices.

"I find it highly ironic that when you control the price of oil, you can speculate it will go up to $150," he said.

Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley hedge funds own large amounts of oil futures, and have both recently said the price oil could go up to $150 or even $200 this year.
CFTC investigation

Last Thursday, the CFTC announced it had launched a wide-ranging probe into oil price manipulation six months ago, saying it would gather more information about the effect investors are having on the market.

The commission's public acknowledgment of a normally secret probe has sparked talk that it has evidence oil companies are withholding oil from the market in an attempt to manipulate prices.

Regarding speculators, CFTC has previously said that it had not found any evidence that traders were artificially inflating prices.

On the day the CFTC announced its investigation, crude oil futures dropped $4.41 - the third-biggest one-day slide since 1991 - and prices have hovered around that $127-a-barrel level since.

But some lawmakers were critical of CFTC's investigation.

"If we want our exchanges to be world leaders, they need to have transparency, and speed and integrity," said Sen. John Sununu, R-N.H.

Cantwell said the CFTC investigation will not go far enough and doesn't have any enforcement mechanism. As a result, she called it a "ruse to deflect criticisms" and an "abdication of oversight responsibility."

"It is clear to me that the CFTC is not doing everything that it can to protect consumers from oil price manipulation," said Cantwell. "CFTC's response is a toothless tiger."

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2180
My truck holds 31 gallon. I pumped on monday 95 buck fill her up @ 4.07 87. Today i looked at the same gas station and its at 4.17 the shells accross the street 427 for 87.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4067
"Well stop raping the environment and you won't be b!tching like selfish children! That's why I don't own a car because only rapists own cars and don't care, not one single BIT!"

Says the dodgy nutter who stalks and videotapes his neighbor. You should be in a mental institution Cocoon... seriously.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6271
^^^x2 fuckingLOON

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1657
x3, Somebody need a hug... or a Job!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9508
3.95 to 3.99 in PA now

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15835
The national average has surpassed the $4.00 a gallon mark..so OPEC has us by the gonads..

Americans have made huge cutbacks in use, but with China and a few other countries in need driving up the demand, and OPEC minimizing their output and supply, not much we can do...its all about supply and demand..

I like Malcolm Berko's idea towards OPEC...lets barter with them....trade them a bushell of wheat or soy in exchange for every shipped barrel of oil!..they need food, we need oil!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17055
"and OPEC minimizing their output and supply"

That's the issue in a nutshell. It's a never ending battle. The more you conserve the more they minimize production. They control the output to match the consumption so there will never be any surplus to drive the cost down.

We need to rid ourselves of our own greedy politicians who regulate our own potential of drilling/refining our own oil. Dependency IS control. Take that out of the equation and you have a free market once again, which is always better for the consumer. I'm waiting on someone affiliated with the electric company to pass a law prohibiting the use of CFL's, because it hurts his bottom line.

I actually heard a story about some town in the upper northeast that locally banned the use of fireplaces. You could literally get fined for heating your home with your fireplace. They "claim" an environmental issue was involved. Someone affiliated with the gas company got that one passed I can assure you.

Soon they'll pass a law against walking.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2856
Here's something to think about...

Two nights ago I was flipping through the channels and came across Bill O'Rielly (I hate that guy). What made me watch it for a few minutes was that he was talking about gas prices and how OPEC is basically a cartel or mafia organization.

I don't know if its true, or he was just refering to refining costs and not drilling, shipping, etc, but he said:

'It costs the Saudis $2 a barrell to refine the oil they sell for $130 per barrell.'

Think about it...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15836
I have heard with all costs included such as drilling and shipping, its less than $5 a barrel...

again I like the idea of us trading FOOD for Oil.. a bushell for a shipped barrel..

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1231
"OPEC is basically a cartel or mafia organization. "

It is considered a cartel, technically speaking.

"'It costs the Saudis $2 a barrell to refine the oil"

They don't refine the oil so to speak. We take the crude here and refine it into gas. Ironically, we sell gasoline to some of the top oil producers...

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSL1490018620070619

Just because they have the oil doesn't mean they can do much with it :P

Username: Avr1

Post Number: 5
Here we go.
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15841
This about sums it up!

Upload

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3283
Interesting little tid bit...

"Mile-per-gallon ratings may mislead" http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080619/ap_on_sc/sci_rating_fuel_efficiency

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17189
It's actually coming down a tad. We're back (temporarily) down in the $3.70's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9661
the lowest for us is between 3.85 - 3.89

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1729
Mine was just $4.08/gal earlier today.

We use a wood burner in our house. This last winter, we didn't use our furnace once, we have a 500gal LP tank btw.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17195
Man I'm telling ya I wish I could use a wood burner in my home. I wanna thumb my nose at the gas company so bad.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3309
"Does it really save gas to roll down your windows instead of flipping on the AC?"

http://www.slate.com/id/2194536/?y=1

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17319
On my truck I also have a "hard" cover so that helps. Also be sure to empty any and all trunk/truck bed space of un-needed cargo.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4207
http://www.sandiegogasprices.com/

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2893
I had an interesting talk with my father the other day regarding gas. He's a mechanic and owns an old building that he rents storage space in, so he's got the room and some stuff he needs to do the following...

About 5 years ago he bought a Ford F350 Diesel truck to fix and sell. No one was really interested in it and he figured he'd get stuck with it. After driving it around for a few weeks, he realized it got better gas milage than anything he owns, and it was practical for him work-wise, so he kept it.

About 4 years ago he saw an article on Bio-Diesel, and did a little research and experimenting.

A friend of his owns a restaurant and pays to have his used cooking dumped. My father started taking his old oil for free and uses it in his truck. What's Bio-Diesel? Vegetable oil. All he has to do is strain the oil through a fine screen. He adds about a gallon of diesel or kerosene (depending on the gas station) to a full tank.

The only downside - his exhaust smells like the food that was cooked. He can't smell it in the truck unless he's sitting in traffic for a long time, but everyone behind him can. A friend of his was following him once. About an hour into the trip, he called my father and told him he needs to pull over to get some food because all he can smell is fried chicken and french fries. He had no idea my father was using vegetable oil as fuel.

Other than a gallon here and there, he hasn't paid for gas in 4 years. Any diesel engine will run on vegetable oil. Just make sure there's no crunbs in it. My father bought his wife an older Mercedes diesel, but she refuses to drive it due solely to the exhaust smell.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3345
Jim Kramer, star of "Mad Money" was on Late Night with Conan O' Brien last night. He was saying he is one of the only people who thinks gas prices have reached their peak.

He didn't go into great detail about why, because he and Conan always end up goofing around most of the time when he's on the show, but he thinks the prices are going to remain steady right about where they are for a while, and then eventually start dropping.

Maybe there IS hope!!

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6297
STU PITT please stop spreading false information here or anywhere for that matter on bio diesel. You probably just dont know any better but what you are talking about is just waste oil and entails alot more then what you posted. If i seem harsh im just being honest because i dont want to see people ruin their engines. If anyone it actually interested in learing about REAL bio diesel PM me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us