Car-puter questions.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2406
I'm probably going to grab one of MS' units so I'm looking for a sound card (might have to hardwire it?) and any programs I might need. I know very little about this stuff but I'd like time correction; I need a separate sub channel; RCA outs from the card would make it simpler; surround is not needed; if the computer could do the crossover filtering, that would be great. I'd like to be able to do some mixing and production so an input for my guitar would be cool. MIDI would be good too. I bet I could hide the regular keyboard under the driver's side of the dash and a small MIDI keyboard on the passenger side.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

And if anyone's interested, my front-stage is getting some serious upgrades. One of the 6.5s failed on me (coil was fine, just started cutting out) so I'm gonna get this started ASAP. I'm going to use eD 7kv.2s for mid-bass with each coil on a channel of the NINe.4, meaning about 220-250W per driver. Then the McIntosh, which I'm going to pick up today probably, will run as many CSS FR125SRs as I need; 2-4 per A-pillar.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7369
that site has more car-puter info than anywhere else I have found. BTW you are going to need an external USB sound card as all of the hardware on the units is proprietary and does not use PCI cards. And a USB hub if you need to connect more than two devices, as there are only two ports.

Check out SoundBlaster or M Audio for that.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2407
OK. Thanks, man! Got any pictures or specs?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7373
Will have those for ya this weekend.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7376
IDK how much you would be wanting to spend but these are two of the best USB audio interfaces available:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&prod uct=10702

If you are interested in MIDI check out some m audio's other products.

As for the separate sub outputs, that is a car audio thing, you won't find a PC sound card with that.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6191
yup mp3car.com is the site to go to when i looked into doing this. i would suggest different speakers and tweets and stuff though.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2408
Thanks for the links.

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&prod uct=9103
That's what I was looking at due to it's sub-out and from what I read it looked pretty good.

Here's a review I was reading:
http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Sound-Cards/Creative-Labs-Audigy2-NX-Review/2/

Why do you say that, Mat?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7382
That looks like it would work. The sub out is meant for home theater but it should work ok.

Except for the crossovers, are they adjustable? IDK

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3789
He said he wanted to grab MS's unit

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2409
That's a good point. I will have to find out.

You're a funny guy, huh, Brad?

I read the rest of that review and the guy said the sound was fairly coloured so that may be out.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 5374
thats pretty gross guys. leave it to pm's.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6194
there is alot better out there then eD even for the price there is better. and if your going carputer they save money and do a nice diy comp set that will be worth all of the other work and money.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2411
The only eD thing is the midbass drivers. The Creative Sound Solutions FR125SRs are supposed to sound amazing. I know you're quite a knowledgeable dude but have you heard the 7kv.2? It seemed like the beefiest midbass for the money and the 9kv.2 beat out a bunch of other 8s so I would expect the same performance. I currently have an ADS 245IX set with the 5 1/4s swapped with the 6.5s (one of which failed; they're pretty crappy; non-coaxial BTW) but my problem is stage height. I can't mount the 6.5s any higher than the bottoms of the doors or on axis and I don't want to do a 3-way up front. If you can recommend a better midbass driver under $100 that will handle 250W without complaints, I'd love to hear about it though.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6198
honestly cam iv been out of keeping up with alot of speakers and anything latly as im not buying anything. but i would take a look at peerless speakers and scan speak if you can afford them about 300 a set.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6199
and for setting up a diy set with car puter just check out diymobileaudio.com

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2420
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Philips-PSC805-Aurilium-USB-External-5-1-Sound-Card-NEW_W0QQi temZ250238018747QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3701QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I think that will be my card.

The Soundblaster had a bunch of processing that you couldn't turn off and the M-Audio didn't have the channels.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7401
Sorry dude the pics are gonna have to wait another week. I'm super busy right now, finals week.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2422
No problem. I won't have the money 'til the first of May anyway. Pulled in close to $90 today though! Tips FTW.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2450
Got those pictures?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7438
Hey dude, as you prob noticed I haven't been on the forum in about a month....... I had a few major issues I had to deal with but I'm back now.

I got you pics, the PC comes with everything you see in the first pic. I also got a video demo for ya. The unit in these pics and video is the exact one I will send you.

As I said before I'm asking $100 plus shipping so let me know your zip and I will let you know the total, if you're still wanting this.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Exact specs are: 533 mhz cpu, 256 MB ram, 40 GB hard disk, 30 MB video chip, on board ethernet, and just about every port you can imagine except firewire.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us